• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this season gets scrapped does that mean we can start again next year without VAR? ����

Peter Whittingham has passed away. Only 35 :(

Guardian awards of the season so far.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ane-danny-ings

Best young player: Adama Traoré, Wolves
Although he was only 23 when the season started, lots of people had abandoned hope of this Spaniard becoming a reliable presence in the Premier League. But now he is its most thrilling player, getting viewers out of their seats as often as he puts opponents on their backsides. His improvement has been a joy to watch. He used to be accused of being rash with his crosses and tactically clueless, but now he is a regular supplier of clever passes and goals and can torment opponents from any of the three positions in which Nuno Espírito Santo has played him this season. From being a player who looked to be going nowhere extremely fast, he has matured into an unstoppable force.

Best match: Wolves 3-2 Manchester City
It was a Friday night under the Molineux floodlights and you could have got drunk on the atmosphere alone. But that was no excuse for Ederson, who got himself sent off after 12 minutes for clattering into Diogo Jota outside the area. At the other end Rui Patrício saved Raheem Sterling’s penalty – twice, owing to intervention by VAR – but could not stop the forward from putting City in front from the rebound. In a contest of exhilarating intensity and rarefied quality Sterling put City 2-0 up with a cute dink. Then Wolves, for whom Traoré was phenomenal, came storming back, with Matt Doherty plundering a rousing victory in the 89th minute and effectively ending City’s title defence.

23 isn't young for a footballer :icon_lol:

Not these days anyway. Really annoying when Sterling won Young Player of the Year last season, he was at the 2014 World Cup FFS.

Much as I loved the Manchester City game and it was a brilliant night, I would actually argue the Liverpool game was even better, even though we didn't get the result. We took on the best outfit in the country on their own terms and they treated us as equals, and it made a truly fantastic match.

I hated the City game, was utterly ruined for me by VAR, but I can see how the neutral would enjoy it.

I wouldn't say it was fantastic quality (as defending is like, part of the game) but Villa vs Spurs was probably the best game I've seen in terms of entertainment this season. The end was good too.

I loved the City game. It was great to shove the VAR fucks back in their box.

I loved the winning goal in that game. Made up for the shit around the penalty.

The VAR in that game though was nothing compared to the Leicester game. That situation killed the game for me, never felt so destroyed during a game before.

I don't really get wound up by VAR, I think a lot of the supposed anger is really forced and some people think singing a song with the word "Fuck" in there makes them really tough, like 13 year old Rage Against The Machine fans in 1994.

That said on three counts we got done over in the first 45 minutes at Anfield and I wasn't happy about that.

Nearly gave myself a haemorrhage against City, fucking scenes. Both Liverpool games pissed me off, we were absolutely brilliant in both games and deserved something home and away.

I got more wound up against City by the utter state of the pubs afterwards. Either stupidly loud music as if it were a normal Friday night (I assume the kidz these days love stuff up to 12 rather than 11) or comically awful service.

Let's face it, the way they came to the decision on the pen was crazy but I've seen that kind of bullshit decision given pre-VAR. And Coady did encroach, the rule is bollocks because it only applies to one side and if you play the ball, but that's what it is.

People forget that they looked at Ederson's red card and validated it. Pre-VAR you might get some gutless ref who just books him and that's the end of it.

Even though we lost I think home against Spurs is my favourite. More than equal we were dominant throughout against a side that for all their problems should be one of the best in Europe. Rarely felt so proud to be a Wolves fan.

Rob Harris
@RobHarris
Women’s leagues tiers 3-7 in England stopped and all results expunged.
FA says “We remain in consultation with the Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship Board and clubs regarding the most appropriate way to complete the current season”

English men’s non-league tiers 3-6 halted by FA & results expunged with no promotion-relegation. But no plan yet for 1-2 National League which ultimately feeds into promotion to professional EFL

If the @FA is adopting a stance that seasons should be halted and results expunged it indicates there is little prospect of any return to football for many many weeks beyond May.
Also should all leagues in England be subject to the same position - cancelling this season?

What does Womens football tier 7 look like ?

Dunno but it means the Wolves Women team are denied promotion. 14 wins from 15 and that's it, season gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back