• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Not it is just a straight out cycle for 20k with the bike set on resistance 6 (out of 10). I have to be careful as I push myself to hard and I will end up having a week in bed. This is going to be my first major effort at any exercise since I had to stop playing football nearly 8 years ago

Week one started so well with 3 days in a row but I was fucked and struggling and like a zombie for the next 3 days so it was reset and I started again on Monday. Just done day 4 so already sticking the V's up at last week. Not feeling to bad either so no fears of 5th day happening.

Ahoy, runners.

I really need to get myself some new running shoes, but I don't really know which are the most suitable type. I mainly do road runs but have started running down canal paths just recently. I mainly just stick to 5k or 10k distances but may well decide to increase them as we approach the autumn and it's not so warm outside. I don't think I need trail shoes as my routes are probably 60% roads so wondered what the best kind of shoe would be?

Any recommendations?

Ahoy, runners.

I really need to get myself some new running shoes, but I don't really know which are the most suitable type. I mainly do road runs but have started running down canal paths just recently. I mainly just stick to 5k or 10k distances but may well decide to increase them as we approach the autumn and it's not so warm outside. I don't think I need trail shoes as my routes are probably 60% roads so wondered what the best kind of shoe would be?

Any recommendations?

Every runner is different, Langer's. What is good for one person, might not be so for another.
I use Asics, because they fit me perfectly, they are always the same size, which is important when you buy off the internet and also, I have never had a problem with them. I usually buy Gel Nimbus, but like I say, it is horses for courses.

Getting back into fitness after 2 months of excessive drinking/eating... Just moved to Australia, and Summer is a few months away. Need to be in shape for the beach!

Currently doing HIIT based on Joe Wicks videos on FB. He's annoying as hell but his principles are sound.

Couple that with having just bought a road bike.

I am going to carb cycle - which essentially means eating low/no carb meals most of the time with high fat to supplement energy intake. Except for after exercise, when carbs are allowed in order to help with replenishment of muscle glycogen stores and help with muscle repair.

The general cycling philosophy is "Carb the fuck up". Whether that's for performance or fitness I don't know. A lot of vegan cyclists out there too who swear by having a high carb diet if you're cycling. High carb, high cadence (fast pedalling in a lower gear) is the 2017 mantra. Well it is for the pros anyway.

Erm, hope that helps....

Lol @ Machin

LGH as long as you're in a calorie defecit you'll lose body fat so just track what you're eating and what your weight is and you'll soon know whether you're in a defecit or not

Getting back into fitness after 2 months of excessive drinking/eating... Just moved to Australia, and Summer is a few months away. Need to be in shape for the beach!

Currently doing HIIT based on Joe Wicks videos on FB. He's annoying as hell but his principles are sound.

Couple that with having just bought a road bike.

I am going to carb cycle - which essentially means eating low/no carb meals most of the time with high fat to supplement energy intake. Except for after exercise, when carbs are allowed in order to help with replenishment of muscle glycogen stores and help with muscle repair.

In kayaking we're told carbs prior to exercise and protein afterwards for the muscle repair. Though the top kayaking boys train on empty stomachs and then hit the protein immediately afterwards. Apparently that doesn't work for women though (not that that's relevant, just a fun fact).

What Machin and SLA say. If you train 'fasted' you'll use fat as an energy source (which has more energy per gram than carbohydrate but takes longer to process) but you need protein afterwards to repair muscle damage.

There was one of those "Trust Me I'm A Doctor" type programs a while back which tested workouts and eating, and they found via blood tests for hormones and blood sugar responses , etc, that men should always eat AFTER working out, but the opposite was true for women. This was better for fat burning, putting on muscle, and how the body deals with the food, etc.

Edit - Found it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...-to-burn-more-fat-without-doing-more-exercise

Finished 15th (AG 9th, Gender 10th) in my latest triathlon yesterday, finishing the event with an all-time 5k PB of 21:52. "Bostin'," as I believe they say.

Great stuff mate - that's a rapid 5k. I've got nowhere near that sort of time for ages.

Thanks. I had a good first kilometer (4:20), slowed to 4:28 for the second km and then had a guy on my shoulder from about 2.3k who I used as a pace man. I doubt I would have been able to self-regulate that kind of speed to be honest.

Now I just need to see an osteopath to sort out the crucifying pain I more-often-than-not get in my biceps when I run and I'll be golden.

This morning I completed mile 287 of a 300 mile running challenge over 15 weeks I'm completing for the Alzheimer's Society. The 13.1 miles will be Sunday at the Great North Run! I'm feeling good despite the mileage but I'm ready for some time with less intense mileage!

Brilliant achievement mate. Well done!

That's excellent mate - how far do you run on each session? Are you doing short runs very regularly, or longer runs over a slightly longer period of time? (Not that that's a long period of time of course..!)

That's excellent mate - how far do you run on each session? Are you doing short runs very regularly, or longer runs over a slightly longer period of time? (Not that that's a long period of time of course..!)

It's a mix mate, long runs on a Sunday (up to and including a 13.1), some recovery runs of around 2 miles plus 5 and 10ks. There were a few weeks of around 30 miles, they were hard!

It's a mix mate, long runs on a Sunday (up to and including a 13.1), some recovery runs of around 2 miles plus 5 and 10ks. There were a few weeks of around 30 miles, they were hard!

Bloody hell! 30 miles in a week?!

I did an 8 mile run last week - the longest run I've ever done. I enjoyed it actually but I couldn't do that 3 times with a 10k on top of that in a week! All about building fitness I guess. Good luck with the main event.

Back