• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Ok peeps, think I'm going to have to get into some serious cycling over the next couple of weeks. The car broke down and I don't think it'll be fixed before mid-October... so without the proper clothing and only a decent helmet, this was my first (relatively poor) effort this morning: https://www.strava.com/activities/1183216984

Without reading through the whole thread, any beginner tips on where to go for clothing (especially in this cold weather), helmets, maybe even a set of lights please?

Decathlon stuff is really good value. I buy all my base layers, socks and gloves etc from there.

This morning was my first proper chilly and rainy commute for a while. I had a long sleeve base layer (Decathlon), normal cycling jersey and a lightweight rain jacket (Decathlon). Long cycling trousers, thick cycling socks and some overshoes (all from Decathlon). I also wear a cycling cap under my helmet which keeps my head dry-ish and with the visor down helps keep the rain out your eyes. I was plenty warm enough, although I was pretty much soaked through - can't really do much about that though when there's torrential rain :icon_lol:

I have some old golves from Sport Direct which I used this morning, but they were pretty useless at keeping the rain out, so next on my shopping list are rainproof gloves....

Here's my journey from this morning - https://www.strava.com/activities/1183171891

For reasonably priced and perfectly serviceable bike clothing, I don't think there's much wrong with Decathlon. Don't know about their helmets or lights.

I've got Moon rechargeable lights from Evans and they've been fine.

Edit: and Seal Skinz waterproof gloves are ace.

Perchance do you buy a lot of stuff from Decathlon, Machin?

Wiggle's own brand dhb is decent value too FWIW.

As for gloves, it's a bit of a minefield as some remove a lot of sensation from your fingertips so you don't know how hard you're pulling on the brake, some are more wind than rain proof and so on. I lost a decent Northwave pair on NYE last year when my pedal sheared off and I had to be collected and haven't managed to replace them yet.

For reasonably priced and perfectly serviceable bike clothing, I don't think there's much wrong with Decathlon. Don't know about their helmets or lights.

I've got Moon rechargeable lights from Evans and they've been fine.

Edit: and Seal Skinz waterproof gloves are ace.

Will check those gloves out, cheers.

I'd be tempted to buy a pair of weatherproof/ winter golf gloves Machin. They will have the grip you need as well as the weatherproofing.

In regards to helmets, there's a post I put up a while ago for Machin. 3 things really:

1. Buy a helmet that fits your head the best - most important
  2. It's a one shot item and if you ride a lot DON'T buy Chris Froome's Kask helmet
  3. All helmets have to pass the standard no matter how much they cost
  4. Weight is not an issue, you are not climbing the Alps every day and an extra 50-100gms is not going to make a difference to your time
  5. Remember to change your helmet every 3 years or so as it will have degraded and will not help you in a crash

I would choose a mid-range helmet personally (£30-60) as you will have the best in terms of fit, vision and protection.

*Absolutely shameless plug - I have a beanie that I'm looking for a cyclist to wear under their helmet which increases protection and adds breathability/ warmth. I have a breathable and a knitted version and I'm looking for some feedback.

So if some of you serious riders want to try then let me know and you'll get a free one when they go into production.*

For a slightly pricier but really effective base layer, try Craft. We use them for kayaking in the winter and they really are a cut above in terms of warmth, moisture management and all that schizzle.

I'd add to that there are also some excellent foldable bike helmets out there is you want to save space or have a bunch of folks at work who keep knocking your helmet (fnarr). There's even some multi-hit versions of these (morpher) and as they pass the standard you should be OK.

I'd be tempted to buy a pair of weatherproof/ winter golf gloves Machin. They will have the grip you need as well as the weatherproofing.

In regards to helmets, there's a post I put up a while ago for Machin. 3 things really:

1. Buy a helmet that fits your head the best - most important
  2. It's a one shot item and if you ride a lot DON'T buy Chris Froome's Kask helmet
  3. All helmets have to pass the standard no matter how much they cost
  4. Weight is not an issue, you are not climbing the Alps every day and an extra 50-100gms is not going to make a difference to your time
  5. Remember to change your helmet every 3 years or so as it will have degraded and will not help you in a crash

I would choose a mid-range helmet personally (£30-60) as you will have the best in terms of fit, vision and protection.

*Absolutely shameless plug - I have a beanie that I'm looking for a cyclist to wear under their helmet which increases protection and adds breathability/ warmth. I have a breathable and a knitted version and I'm looking for some feedback.

So if some of you serious riders want to try then let me know and you'll get a free one when they go into production.*

That three-year thing is very interesting, and quite useful as my current helmet is four years old and makes me look like a right twat so I'll be glad of a good excuse to change it. :)

When you say "feedback", is from either the rider (ongoing), neurosurgeon (following a crash), or pathologist (in the event of failure and death) acceptable? Just in case I need to leave a note you see.

Definitely put me down for a beanie, Johnny. Was only thinking on the way in this morning about getting an under-helmet skull cap thing. Does it cover the ears?

I've got some big winter gloves but I find them a bit cumbersome tbh. Like the idea of a thinner waterproof glove until the temps really drop.

Very useful advice all, thanks very much (Decathlon this weekend it is). Definitely need the waterproofs as well, I was soaked through this morning and not set up for it at all properly.

Sidenote, how good is Strava? I wasn't giving it anything at all this morning, but now I'm motivated to do so having read through all the feedback. I'm a data person...haha.

Strava is as good as you make it: feed it with enough information and you'll get a much better idea of how/where you're improving. Or simply use it to keep track of activities.

If it's not on Strava, it didn't happen. That's all you need to know....

Definitely put me down for a beanie, Johnny. Was only thinking on the way in this morning about getting an under-helmet skull cap thing. Does it cover the ears?

It does. Do you want knitted or breathable?

@Wombat - I'll draft a will if you like :) As with Machin would you like a breathable or knitted version?

Breathable I reckon. Don't want to overheat....

Useful information here chaps.

@johnny, pop me down for the beanie too. I have a kinda beanie I wear when it is cold, as the head gets frozen in the morning when I put the pedal to the metal...

@jlovatt, I got my bike from decathalon. They provide lights with it - their standard ones, and they're ok. I'd be tempted to get some higher range ones from there though if possible, their bog standard ones are only ok, rather than brilliant in making you stand out. I need to pop there soon as I need a chain guard to stop me getting oil marks etc on clothes and things. I might check out some of their cycling wear.

I tend to wear cheap knitted gloves with grips when I cycle (was thinking about digging them out this morning actually). Not sure that I'd need a waterproof pair - I don't have the commute machin does! That's more a one day idea.

However the reminder from Johnny re helmets is timely, as my helmet will be 3 years old at some point between now & christmas, so I need to start thinking about getting a new one. May well explore decathalon for that too, though any suggestions welcome. For info, I cycle to/from work, round trip of about 7 miles 5 days a week.

@jlovatt again, I started cycling as I got fed up with traffic, as well as realising that my life was becoming far too sedantry. Have to say that after 3-4 weeks I really noticed a difference in fitness and recovery times. An added bonus is that where I work now is in a congested area, driving to work would take 45-50 mins, cycling takes 15! Gaining that extra hour a day is the best part imo.

@Wombat - I'll draft a will if you like :) As with Machin would you like a breathable or knitted version?

Ta. I'll be happy to try one if you want multiple opinions although it'll have to get a bit colder, surely?

Anyone cycling (for the 746,269th time): get fitted to your machine as it will improve your experience and reduce the risk of injury.

Back