• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Useful information here chaps.

@johnny, pop me down for the beanie too. I have a kinda beanie I wear when it is cold, as the head gets frozen in the morning when I put the pedal to the metal...

@jlovatt, I got my bike from decathalon. They provide lights with it - their standard ones, and they're ok. I'd be tempted to get some higher range ones from there though if possible, their bog standard ones are only ok, rather than brilliant in making you stand out. I need to pop there soon as I need a chain guard to stop me getting oil marks etc on clothes and things. I might check out some of their cycling wear.

I tend to wear cheap knitted gloves with grips when I cycle (was thinking about digging them out this morning actually). Not sure that I'd need a waterproof pair - I don't have the commute machin does! That's more a one day idea.

However the reminder from Johnny re helmets is timely, as my helmet will be 3 years old at some point between now & christmas, so I need to start thinking about getting a new one. May well explore decathalon for that too, though any suggestions welcome. For info, I cycle to/from work, round trip of about 7 miles 5 days a week.

@jlovatt again, I started cycling as I got fed up with traffic, as well as realising that my life was becoming far too sedantry. Have to say that after 3-4 weeks I really noticed a difference in fitness and recovery times. An added bonus is that where I work now is in a congested area, driving to work would take 45-50 mins, cycling takes 15! Gaining that extra hour a day is the best part imo.

In terms of my commute, I should only need lights on a small stretch unless I really do try to cycle beyond much of October - but that depends on my work/home situation which is forever changing! But something is better than nothing indeed.

Currently my commute is too long to consider a winter through it really (the Strava post this morning was just a small part of that). I used to motorbike it before and that was tough enough with the weather, but was much better for the traffic delay element I totally agree. The hope is to find a job in central Birmingham asap, and assuming my partner's visa gets approved sometime soon (don't ask, Home Office are really shit currently and this is after 12 weeks waiting already), then I might take up serious cycling more. I do love it though having done a lot last year in Thailand and finding my fitness go through the roof, but right now I've slipped a lot. Might get a stand and turn it into a spin bike for the winter haha...

I use lights pretty much all the time, regardless of conditions. Normally on an on/off flash pattern. I see them more to make you more visible to others than for lighting up the road.
I got some Cateye lights for Christmas and they're ace. Really bright for when it is dark and they will last a full week of commuting before needing a recharge (via USB).

Oh, and if you ever fancy a TWF ride out at some point, give us a shout.

This evening's commute back was much better: https://www.strava.com/activities/1183927713

Yeah Machin, you don't appear to work far from where I used to live and where I'm planning to move back to shortly! It's all budget, but after pay day I think lights for any level of cycling in the winter must be necessary. It wasn't quite sunset when I finished my commute today, but still had an awareness that cars weren't always looking out for me. Some drivers really need to leave much more space too...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I'd like to work back up to proper cycling at some point. It was always my sport of choice as a teenager and just slipped once I passed my driving test

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Anyone used Suunto gear? - Just seen some reviews of their latest watch which has left testers dripping in their own love juice.

Did a dry January.
Nearly finished a dry September.
Will do another in November.

Only difficulty is match day.......

After a very heavy weekend in which I drank FAR too much, didn't look after myself and barely ate anything, I wasn't looking forward to my weekly 10k run last night (I was supposed to do it on Sunday but the whole day was a write off after Saturday's excesses).

Felt really lethargic at work all day yesterday but decided I was going to do it - if not, I wouldn't have had chance to do a longish run until next weekend as I have my kids now until Sunday.

So how the fuck did I manage my best 10k time since last November?! Makes no sense at all - crap preparation, feeling shattered, slightly muggy weather yet I clocked in at 48:58.

The human body is weird.

Secured 2nd place in my division at the big season ending finale kayak race on Sunday. 8 miles of sheer pain on the Thames. An anxious wait now to find out if I've been promoted to the division above and have to start racing against some seriously fast people.

After a very heavy weekend in which I drank FAR too much, didn't look after myself and barely ate anything, I wasn't looking forward to my weekly 10k run last night (I was supposed to do it on Sunday but the whole day was a write off after Saturday's excesses).

Felt really lethargic at work all day yesterday but decided I was going to do it - if not, I wouldn't have had chance to do a longish run until next weekend as I have my kids now until Sunday.

So how the fuck did I manage my best 10k time since last November?! Makes no sense at all - crap preparation, feeling shattered, slightly muggy weather yet I clocked in at 48:58.

The human body is weird.

Know what you mean. I think some days you just put your head down and the consistency carries you through without even realising it. I've had a few (shorter) runs like that.

Secured 2nd place in my division at the big season ending finale kayak race on Sunday. 8 miles of sheer pain on the Thames. An anxious wait now to find out if I've been promoted to the division above and have to start racing against some seriously fast people.

fair play! We may get promoted with our monday bowls team. Obvs that means playing against a better standard, which may well mean less wins next season...

2nd cup final saturday too.

fair play! We may get promoted with our monday bowls team. Obvs that means playing against a better standard, which may well mean less wins next season...

2nd cup final saturday too.

Yeah, I'd rather not get promoted and pick up a few medals at the top of this division next season. :)

FAO: Johnny - what's the score with the beanies? It's just, you know, Aldi have got some for £2.99 at the mo and they're probably at least as good as yours.... :whistle:

FAO: Johnny - what's the score with the beanies? It's just, you know, Aldi have got some for £2.99 at the mo and they're probably at least as good as yours.... :whistle:

I'll drop you all a PM when they are ready. Finished prototypes can take time y'know!

Can't compete with £2.99 though as ours will be £30 when they go in the shops.

Although ours do reduce your risk of concussion by up to 50% when worn with your helmet and they are multi-impact so you can use them with any helmet and over and over again even if you've had a bang on your bonce. You can also knock ours onto the floor without fear of needing to buy a new one.

Only a few weeks wait though..... and yours for free (well nearly free, it'll cost you time to speak to me and fill out a quick q'nairre)

I'll drop you all a PM when they are ready. Finished prototypes can take time y'know!

Can't compete with £2.99 though as ours will be £30 when they go in the shops.

Although ours do reduce your risk of concussion by up to 50% when worn with your helmet and they are multi-impact so you can use them with any helmet and over and over again even if you've had a bang on your bonce. You can also knock ours onto the floor without fear of needing to buy a new one.

Only a few weeks wait though..... and yours for free (well nearly free, it'll cost you time to speak to me and fill out a quick q'nairre)

Awesome. Sounds like some serious kit.

How many inputs/reviews/opinions are you looking for, Johnny? As VC of my multisport/triathlon club, I could always put it out there to see if members would like to try some prototypes.

Managed to run my first non-stop 10k in *ages* last night, I hadn't been able to get much above 7k due to what apparently is "thoracic outlet syndrome", however after seeing and being brutalised by an osteopath things are looking. Slow at 49:00 but it's a start.

How many inputs/reviews/opinions are you looking for, Johnny? As VC of my multisport/triathlon club, I could always put it out there to see if members would like to try some prototypes.

I didn't realise you were a venture capitalist Wombat. The more reviews the better for me. I am putting some waterproof versions together (not for swimming you understand!) but I wouldn't advise them for racing, they are more for training/ commuting as they may be seen as a bit heavy for race helmets and low weight = more speed even if they are only 150gms (twice the weight of a thinsulate hat).

"venture capitalist" - if only... Anyway, PM me some details of the product and what you'd expect from any tester(s) and I'll put it to the committee and thereon to members if approved.

Back