• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

I think I need to get a proper bike too, instead of hand me downs. I think the brakes on my bike are pretty much kaput.
I have the benefit of a cycle to work scheme with my employer and can pay through this a bit each month out the salary sacrifice.
I currently only cycle 3.5 miles twice each weekday (there and back), however would probably go on additional rides if I had a decent/better bike.

My budget is low, and I wanted to ask a question similar to PLF.
What kinda price should be what I'm looking at?

I also like the journey, and cannot see the enjoyment in cycling/running/rowing or whatever other exercise you are doing and don't move a yard.
About £600 minimum I would say.

Beware, with the cycle to work schemes, some retailers won't offer you the sale prices and have to charge the full price. If you go on the cycle scheme website, you can punch in all the figures and see how much you'll be saving on a £600 bike. It might be that you can get a bigger saving just by buying a sale bike (probably a 2015 or 2016 model). If you can get it on an interest free credit card, then that's going to work out better overall.
Also check the terms and conditions of the cycle scheme at your work as there are some moody looking ownership rules, even when you've finished the payment term.

Dropped a stone or so over the last month, got to a point where I wasn't able to walk from Bilbrook to Codsall without stopping halfway through which is just plain ridiculous. Had enough of that nonsense so cut a load of crap out of my diet and made an effort to go out walking at least four times a week, feeling (and looking) a lot better for it.

Not sure whether I can really step it up, my knee and back don't react well to road running from past experience, but I think I can at least keep the excess off even if I don't lose a great deal more.
Good stuff mate. Can be a vicious spiral once you get into the habit of eating shit and not looking after yourself, fitness wise. I've proper gorged and drank more than usual over December. Been blowing out my arse even just looking at a slight incline when out cycling. Really pushing to step up and get more comfortable when climbing up those hills.
Cycled through that neck of the woods today on my way up to Stafford (and back). Would've been a cracking ride had it not been for the pissing rain and freezing fog!

I have always lost more weight by walking briskly and cutting out rubbish food.

Good stuff mate. Can be a vicious spiral once you get into the habit of eating shit and not looking after yourself, fitness wise. I've proper gorged and drank more than usual over December. Been blowing out my arse even just looking at a slight incline when out cycling. Really pushing to step up and get more comfortable when climbing up those hills.
Cycled through that neck of the woods today on my way up to Stafford (and back). Would've been a cracking ride had it not been for the pissing rain and freezing fog!

People get very worried if I lose too much weight :) So I don't need to indulge in overkill or anything, I don't have ambitions to enter 10k runs or anything. I'd like to lose about another stone I suppose, I struggle a little bit with it because my anti-depressants cause a lot of water retention but there's been a definite improvement, had to go out and buy a belt on Friday as my jeans kept falling down and there's a load of weight come out of my face.

I have to accept that I'm 35 now, not 25, this doesn't just look after itself any more.

I never weigh myself. Probably should to see if I'm actually losing weight. It's more about how I feel and enjoying the experience.

You can grow a way better beard than I can to cover chins :D

353a4cbe-22fa-4f45-9a9f-c8bfc677c9c2.jpg

Problem. Solved.

About £600 minimum I would say.

Beware, with the cycle to work schemes, some retailers won't offer you the sale prices and have to charge the full price. If you go on the cycle scheme website, you can punch in all the figures and see how much you'll be saving on a £600 bike. It might be that you can get a bigger saving just by buying a sale bike (probably a 2015 or 2016 model). If you can get it on an interest free credit card, then that's going to work out better overall.
Also check the terms and conditions of the cycle scheme at your work as there are some moody looking ownership rules, even when you've finished the payment term.
Cheers. Will try and remember to post a link this week.
I'm assuming a hybrid would be the best option.
£600 sounds a lot to me... :yikes: didn't think I'd need to spend quite that much.

Dropped a stone or so over the last month, got to a point where I wasn't able to walk from Bilbrook to Codsall without stopping halfway through which is just plain ridiculous. Had enough of that nonsense so cut a load of crap out of my diet and made an effort to go out walking at least four times a week, feeling (and looking) a lot better for it.

Not sure whether I can really step it up, my knee and back don't react well to road running from past experience, but I think I can at least keep the excess off even if I don't lose a great deal more.

I'm an avowed non-fan of running personally, as I think the risks outweigh the benefits. Think it can be very easy for us to become lazy with our food choices, over-generous with our portion sizes, and procrastinate on anything to an extent it can be easy to become very sedentary. I definitely found that - if I wasn't cycling to work I would do so little movement.

Looks like my employer is part of this scheme:
https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/
Technically speaking, employees actually hire the bicycles from you, buying them at the end of the salary sacrifice period for a Fair Market Value payment. Cyclescheme will collect this Fair Market Value payment for you, and we can also offer highly competitive finance packages from well known providers.

Worth noting...

Cheers. Will try and remember to post a link this week.
I'm assuming a hybrid would be the best option.
£600 sounds a lot to me... :yikes: didn't think I'd need to spend quite that much.

Well, that's my point. You could probably pick up a £600 for about £450 if it's last year's model. What you'll need to weigh up is whether you save that much using the scheme.

Got you mate.
Better off visiting a few shops to assess the stock then I assume?
I might pop to Evans cycles in temple street to check out what is available.

Looks like my employer is part of this scheme:
https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/
I had my bike from there a couple of years ago, ended up getting a Specialized hybrid. Bike is good, but savings weren't huge - was more useful as an overall earnings saving to reduce the amount of child benefit I had to pay back.

Only thing to be aware of is if you change jobs before the term ends you need to pay the whole lot back at from your net earnings.

Check Wiggle out mate. There's some really good saving on last years models this time of year.

First spin class for me tonight after Christmas. Should have started back las week by rights. Kind of dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time.

Got you mate.
Better off visiting a few shops to assess the stock then I assume?
I might pop to Evans cycles in temple street to check out what is available.
Evans do 0% finance on bikes over £499 mate, which is another option.

As I remember the scheme, can't you also get the discount on all the accessories, like helmet, child seat, lock etc?

I've been going to CrossFit for the last 4 weeks and my fitness is really improving alongside strength training in the gym. Haven't been putting the work in on the nutrition side though so not really lost much weight yet.

Onto my full induction this week at CrossFit, learning how to Olympic lift which should be fun!

As I remember the scheme, can't you also get the discount on all the accessories, like helmet, child seat, lock etc?

Yeah, everything you need to get going safely - so helmet, lights, pedals etc. Things like GPS and cycle computers don't count though.

Well, that's my point. You could probably pick up a £600 for about £450 if it's last year's model. What you'll need to weigh up is whether you save that much using the scheme.

Check Wiggle out mate. There's some really good saving on last years models this time of year.

Evans do 0% finance on bikes over £499 mate, which is another option.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

I've been advised disc brakes are a pain. Can I ask your views?

This one caught my eye, and is the right size:
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-quick-4-2016-hybrid-bike-EV239444

Back