• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Same here, any thoughts I've ever had about going for a jog are gone within seconds but in a game of football I'll never stop. Think it's just having something that gives it a sense of purpose, running for a pass or chasing your man, rather than just running for the sake of something to do.

I'd be happy with anything approaching double figures initially - there are more hills in Dorset than I thought there were

Do you want to ride to get out or if it's just for exercise why not get an exercise bike an iPad (or equivalent) and a course app?

It'll save you a lot of money in the long run.

Do you want to ride to get out or if it's just for exercise why not get an exercise bike an iPad (or equivalent) and a course app?

If I'm being honest probably more for exercise, though there are some good rides in this neck of the woods so out is of interest, though think that might mean waiting for better weather.

Exercise bike would probably be a compromise space wise internally (unless I'm going to use it in the garage or shed), whereas a bike can live in the garage & be used when needed

Check out Zwift if you want to go down this route. Amazing looking software.

If I'm being honest probably more for exercise, though there are some good rides in this neck of the woods so out is of interest, though think that might mean waiting for better weather.

Exercise bike would probably be a compromise space wise internally (unless I'm going to use it in the garage or shed), whereas a bike can live in the garage & be used when needed

You could do what I've done then which is buy a bike and fit a turbo trainer to it. Essentially you bring your bike inside in the winter (mine lives in the garage) hook it up to the trainer and then use it like an exercise bike and then when the weather is better you can disconnect it and go on a ride.

Machin - I might give that a whirl as I use the hour to watch various tv shows on my iPad.

You could do what I've done then which is buy a bike and fit a turbo trainer to it. Essentially you bring your bike inside in the winter (mine lives in the garage) hook it up to the trainer and then use it like an exercise bike and then when the weather is better you can disconnect it and go on a ride.

Machin - I might give that a whirl as I use the hour to watch various tv shows on my iPad.
That's a good shout Johnny, might get one of those. I've got a hybrid, but it's pretty miserable going out this time of year.

Turbo trainers are bloody hard work from a boredom and motivation point of view, I'd suggest only use as a last resort or if you need to train when the weather doesn't permit.

Turbo trainers are bloody hard work from a boredom and motivation point of view, I'd suggest only use as a last resort or if you need to train when the weather doesn't permit.

Horses for courses really, I get to watch some TV in peace and quiet whilst getting some much needed exercise. I also need to do it to get my base fitness level at a decent level.

I also look a complete tool in cycling clothing so I can wear my jogging bottoms and hooded top. It all depends what you want to do I guess. I do agree though that if I didn't have something to watch (I'd like to try that zwift app too) I'd be bored pretty quickly.

electric bike is the way to go. I have three currently, the latest has a bit more oomph and helps me pedal uphill with out the huff puff and knee strain. I use it to go to work outside of the winter 2 or 3 evenings a week and its 18k each way so it does give you a workout. Battery gets charged while I work and is ready for the home leg. I recommend them to any middle ager who wants to improve their fitness without killing themselves. Cost between 6 and 800. Charge costs about 6p a time. Battery good for 2 years. New battery £200. So you can soon save your fuel money. Much cheaper than a gym and much more fun. pm me if youre interested and I will send you details of the three I have. All are good for different reasons.

Horses for courses really, I get to watch some TV in peace and quiet whilst getting some much needed exercise. I also need to do it to get my base fitness level at a decent level.

I also look a complete tool in cycling clothing so I can wear my jogging bottoms and hooded top. It all depends what you want to do I guess. I do agree though that if I didn't have something to watch (I'd like to try that zwift app too) I'd be bored pretty quickly.
I think it works best with a 'smart' trainer as it can feedback resistance automatically during climbs or when you're drafting, etc. It looks fucking brilliant though I just haven't got anywhere near the space for it, unfortunately.

I'd also thought of getting a Turbo Trainer in the xmas sales, but getting bored previously at the gym on the bike or treadmill put me off.

That's probably the difference for me - if I'm exercising, I don't want to be watching telly. I want to get outside, shut myself off from things and basically think over whatever happens to be on my mind. I find it very therapeutic. I can't do that on a machine.

Did a run about an hour ago and it's so annoying how quickly you can lose fitness!

That's what I thought, currently have a elliptical trainer in the garage which I use in the winter - mainly watch a bit of TV while training for 30 minutes or so, but it's on its last legs and needs replacing with something.

That's probably the difference for me - if I'm exercising, I don't want to be watching telly. I want to get outside, shut myself off from things and basically think over whatever happens to be on my mind. I find it very therapeutic. I can't do that on a machine.

That is exactly how I am when out on the bike, can totally switch off or have mad thoughts go through my mind or sing the same song for an hour.

Running today I just drifted away into my own little World.

As I have very little cartilege in my left knee now was told not to even contemplate running as it would cause more damage than it would solve on fitness issues (not that I was anyway) but that cycling was fine & I should do some exercise more challenging than bowls!

Having never been a keen cyclist am unsure what sort of bike I should get or how much is reasonable to pay (not looking to win time trials, just get a bit more effort into what I do) - have a decent cycle shop in town, but easy to get carried away with their enthusiasm for the sport & pay more than I need.

I know that there are some keen cyclists on here - thoughts?
I think I need to get a proper bike too, instead of hand me downs. I think the brakes on my bike are pretty much kaput.
I have the benefit of a cycle to work scheme with my employer and can pay through this a bit each month out the salary sacrifice.
I currently only cycle 3.5 miles twice each weekday (there and back), however would probably go on additional rides if I had a decent/better bike.

My budget is low, and I wanted to ask a question similar to PLF.
What kinda price should be what I'm looking at?

I also like the journey, and cannot see the enjoyment in cycling/running/rowing or whatever other exercise you are doing and don't move a yard.

Dropped a stone or so over the last month, got to a point where I wasn't able to walk from Bilbrook to Codsall without stopping halfway through which is just plain ridiculous. Had enough of that nonsense so cut a load of crap out of my diet and made an effort to go out walking at least four times a week, feeling (and looking) a lot better for it.

Not sure whether I can really step it up, my knee and back don't react well to road running from past experience, but I think I can at least keep the excess off even if I don't lose a great deal more.

Back