• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

I was listening to a bit of the football ramble and they made a good point - as much as the personnel is an issue especially on the left hand side we also just seem to have no identity. We don’t press, we don’t sit back and counter, we don’t try and control possession - we’re just a bunch of players sent out on the pitch.

I was listening to a bit of the football ramble and they made a good point - as much as the personnel is an issue especially on the left hand side we also just seem to have no identity. We don’t press, we don’t sit back and counter, we don’t try and control possession - we’re just a bunch of players sent out on the pitch.
Exactly that. France are the same mind, but it shows how poor Southgate and Deschamps are and that they are essentially a deluxe Dave Jones.

Look at Austria, Spain and Germany they have an actual identity and style of play. You may not agree with it but at least they have one.

Yeah 100%. I get that in international football you can’t do as much tactic-wise and you need to keep it a bit simpler but you can still instill some kind of plan.

I think the feel good factor and player quality has got us so far but now it’s all a bit to familiar so a bit of tactical awareness is needed.
Southgate is falling into the same trap Sven fell into and trying to shoehorn all his best players into a system.
Play players out of position they’re going to be a lot less able to do what they do.
It’s why he’s going to have to be brave and probably start one of Foden or Bellingham from the bench.
Picking a crocked LB because the other options aren’t to good then playing a natural RB there.
Not enough outlets in wide areas to Foden natural instinct is to come inside.
Playing Gordon out left gives you a player who’ll hug the line and try and go past players. Naturally that should push the opposing side back a little.

I think the feel good factor and player quality has got us so far but now it’s all a bit to familiar so a bit of tactical awareness is needed.
Southgate is falling into the same trap Sven fell into and trying to shoehorn all his best players into a system.
Play players out of position they’re going to be a lot less able to do what they do.
It’s why he’s going to have to be brave and probably start one of Foden or Bellingham from the bench.
Picking a crocked LB because the other options aren’t to good then playing a natural RB there.
Not enough outlets in wide areas to Foden natural instinct is to come inside.
Playing Gordon out left gives you a player who’ll hug the line and try and go past players. Naturally that should push the opposing side back a little.
I disagree he's shoe horning players in, certainly his best players (obviously Trippier and TAA are)
He can fit all of Bellingham, Kane, Foden, Saka, Gordon in without any I'll fitting shoes.

DW touched on this in his brilliant article this week, but I feel a bit for TAA. He's been a bit of a scapegoat this tournament.

I do think he can play centre midfield, but his strongest attribute is being neutered by our set up. Pinging 50-60 balls accurately is his game. He gets the ball currently, and his wide players are coming back towards him.

DW touched on this in his brilliant article this week, but I feel a bit for TAA. He's been a bit of a scapegoat this tournament.

I do think he can play centre midfield, but his strongest attribute is being neutered by our set up. Pinging 50-60 balls accurately is his game. He gets the ball currently, and his wide players are coming back towards him.
Think this is fair but do we want to accommodate him just for the occasional worldly long pass despite his other failings, just think there are better options.

I disagree he's shoe horning players in, certainly his best players (obviously Trippier and TAA are)
He can fit all of Bellingham, Kane, Foden, Saka, Gordon in without any I'll fitting shoes.

Disagree once you’re playing 2 players out of position it becomes shoe horning. Bellingham could do a job with Rice holding nevertheless I think we’ve got other players who can hold that position equally well.

Disagree once you’re playing 2 players out of position it becomes shoe horning. Bellingham could do a job with Rice holding nevertheless I think we’ve got other players who can hold that position equally well.
We're stuck with LB but while I agree there are better options next to Rice than TAA, I don't think Bellingham playing there is really shoe horning, you get a good option in there plus the other good parts of his play as a bonus. You also can have a better balance in front of the CM imo.
Having said all that, whatever personnel/formation we use, we might still be stuck with the wrong tactics.

We're stuck with LB but while I agree there are better options next to Rice than TAA, I don't think Bellingham playing there is really shoe horning, you get a good option in there plus the other good parts of his play as a bonus. You also can have a better balance in front of the CM imo.
Having said all that, whatever personnel/formation we use, we might still be stuck with the wrong tactics.
We are stuck with the wrong tactics with TAA next to Rice.

In the first half against Serbia I thought TAA did pretty well. It's only when we adopted the Southgate drop that he became ineffective. He Rice and Bellingham can work as a midfield 3, but you need to play with a mindset that gets the best out of them. Lamenting you haven't got Phillips and then asking TAA to try and do a similar role is stupid. Play a style which suits him or pick Wharton instead

Last edited:
Do people genuinely think Southgate instructs the players:

"if we go 1-0 up, drop deep and defend"

If he is instructing the players to drop deep, why? It makes no sense. I can't believe it is an actual plan, he can't be telling them to do it surely?

Back