• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Same in France, for me anyway, I still tried to speak what little french I knew anyway to show willing if nothing else.

In my book if you're going to another country you should at least try a few words.
Showing willingness seems key in France. If you try French they’ll help you out in English, if you go straight to English…. blank faces, even if they speak it.

Outside the tiny portion of Spain that is expat heavy it’s still surprising how little English is spoken. That includes the (domestic) business sector in Madrid, and certainly larger cities including Valencia. That said, they take learning English a lot more seriously than we take learning Spanish in the school system. Making MFL optional for GCSE remains one of the big, and surprising, mistakes by New Labour IMO.

The standard of MFL teaching in the state system varies so wildly from school to school, it's a genuine lottery.

My brother never had any natural aptitude for it but when he showed me what he'd been "taught" as he prepared for his French GCSE I (at 18, taking my A-Levels, we didn't go to the same school) was shocked. More or less a series of stock phrases to be reeled off, no technique, no vocabulary, no grammar underpinning it, nothing beyond parroting Ladybird book crap. So I chipped in and helped him out with a piece of coursework and he was subsequently described as "our star pupil" when my parents went to the next parents' evening :D He still owes me for that 25 years on I reckon.

We don't pay it anything like the heed that we should, even allowing for my obvious bias.

When I biked round Eastern Europe, my basic Russian helped a lot, just because everyone everywhere aged 50+ was forced to learn it, lots of shops in tiny towns run by older people weren’t overjoyed when I spoke it but it helped, under 40s were mainly English speaking.
I did two days in a Ukrainian school speaking English* to the kids in their English lessons just because a native speaker does it better, always wonder if there’s Ukrainians going “ ar that’s bostin aye it?” When something is good, we just sat around chatting and doing q&a about football, films, music London

* I cycled past a family in a now infamous small town that was having a bbq in the garden, I waved and said hello, the kids chased after me telling me to stop and come and eat, so I did, they asked if I could go to their school to talk about what I was doing, dad ok’d it with the school so I did.

They do appreciate it if you try (obviously I don't personally have this issue but I always tell those travelling just to know a little bit - not everyone speaks English, even in a major city).

If you wanted to move to Hamburg and never ever speak a word of German, assuming whatever you did for work didn't require it, you probably could just about do it. Would be very shit, pointless and extremely limiting though. Go anywhere much smaller and you'd be in a lot of trouble day-to-day just trying to exist.
I always try and learn a bit even if it's just please, thank you and ask for a beer.
In my limited experience of Europe, in the big centres and tourist hotspots, lots of English speaking, rural France, Italy, Spain hardly any.

Getting a water tank put up at our house in Zambia. Received the message below, my reply of ‘Home’ was met with bafflement.

1720968449045.png

Outside the tiny portion of Spain that is expat heavy it’s still surprising how little English is spoken. That includes the (domestic) business sector in Madrid, and certainly larger cities including Valencia. That said, they take learning English a lot more seriously than we take learning Spanish in the school system. Making MFL optional for GCSE remains one of the big, and surprising, mistakes by New Labour IMO.
Madrids not too bad, my pal works for EA Sports, Married to a Spanish girl from where I live, he speaks little Spanish.

Once you get to the likes of Coin, Mijas Pueblo English is spoken less.

When you get to Alhaurin, it's virtually none existent.

Most the English that speak superb Spanish, learnt In Jail.....

Even my Bulgarian mate one of my best friends here learnt his Spanish inside.

Looks like Shaw for Trippier the only change tonight
Funny I was thinking Trippier as a right footed LB against "the child" would be good as he can work against him cutting inside.

However, Shaw offers us so much more balance.

The standard of MFL teaching in the state system varies so wildly from school to school, it's a genuine lottery.

My brother never had any natural aptitude for it but when he showed me what he'd been "taught" as he prepared for his French GCSE I (at 18, taking my A-Levels, we didn't go to the same school) was shocked. More or less a series of stock phrases to be reeled off, no technique, no vocabulary, no grammar underpinning it, nothing beyond parroting Ladybird book crap. So I chipped in and helped him out with a piece of coursework and he was subsequently described as "our star pupil" when my parents went to the next parents' evening :D He still owes me for that 25 years on I reckon.

We don't pay it anything like the heed that we should, even allowing for my obvious bias.
What I hadn’t realised until my wife started teaching it (although it’s obvious with any thought) is how much being an optional subject also undermines it in the first three years. Teachers have to really hustle to get kids to think about taking it and, as you say, their ability or interest in doing that varies. It’s made languages, once again, a private school thing. A bit like cricket, you’ve got to have really enthusiastic parents if you’re in a state school and want to keep up.

They do appreciate it if you try (obviously I don't personally have this issue but I always tell those travelling just to know a little bit - not everyone speaks English, even in a major city).

If you wanted to move to Hamburg and never ever speak a word of German, assuming whatever you did for work didn't require it, you probably could just about do it. Would be very shit, pointless and extremely limiting though. Go anywhere much smaller and you'd be in a lot of trouble day-to-day just trying to exist.
I went to Turkey many years ago and learnt 4 phrases. Please, Thank you. Two beers please. I love your country.
It paid massive dividends.

Spain not fancy singing their National Anthem?

Cometh onward, ye Lions!

I haven't seen much of Spain this tournament, their movement is rather good isn't it?

Back