• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Apparently, we - along with Cardiff - are interesting in Reading's Hal Robson-Kanu.

To counteract the above thread, our scouting team did find Dicko and Afobe.

Two players smashing in goals in the football league? Well done to them - they must have looked really hard.

On Robson-Kanu - he had a really good patch in the premier league IIRC. Not sure how he's performed over the last season or two.

Just for fun, here's all the players KJ/KT have brought in and (my opinion) of their success (excluding youth players):

Benik Afobe (£2.27m): Success
George Saville (£1.1m): Failure
Tommy Rowe (Free): F
Yannick Sagbo (Loan): F
Rajiv van La Parra (Free): S (yes I know, controversy etc etc)
Danny Graham (Loan): F
Tomasz Kuszczak (Free): S
Kevin McDonald (£792,000): S/S
Michael Jacobs (£308,000): S/F
Sam Ricketts (Free): S
James Henry (Undisclosed): S/S
Scott Golbourne (Undisclosed): S/S
Kortney Hause (Undisclosed): S
Leon Clarke (Undisclosed): F/F
Nouha Dicko (Undisclosed): S/S

Prices from transfermarkt so don't blame me if they're wrong.

So, looking this over by position, we have...

GK: 1 for 1, 100% success rate
DEF: 4 for 4 or 4 for 5 (depending on how you designate Rowe), 100% or 80% success rate
MID: 6 for 9 or 6 for 8 (again depending on Rowe), 66.6% or 75% success rate
FOR: 3 for 7, 42.9% success rate

Again, just for fun and not scientific but a decent enough simple overview.

The thing is we'd never have signed Sagbo or Graham if Dicko weren't injured, or alternatively if Chris Wood hadn't decided Leicester's bench was a better place than playing football.

Sagbo and Graham were desperation calls when we had no other option and it showed. Again could have been avoided by signing someone better than Leon at a position of strength. Wouldn't have been hard.

Dicko is a similar player to Wilson, don't see why we need another.

Ok i see your point..i certainly wouldnt mind a target player type, with a good heading ability to throw in late in games when we need to put on a bit of pressure..we really lack that threat.

The thing is we'd never have signed Sagbo or Graham if Dicko weren't injured, or alternatively if Chris Wood hadn't decided Leicester's bench was a better place than playing football.

Sagbo and Graham were desperation calls when we had no other option and it showed. Again could have been avoided by signing someone better than Leon at a position of strength. Wouldn't have been hard.

Equally we could have signed players better than those two, no? I know they don't grow on trees but obviously someone missed the target somewhere along the line.

We could have signed Darren Bent. If we wanted to cough up £35k a week towards his wages, and accommodate the fact that he contributes nothing to general play.

There aren't that many quality forwards that are perpetually available for loan. Of course anyone would have been better than Sagbo as he was worse than Leon, but we weren't to know that. He actually looked ok at points in his first season with Hull.

Sagbo also got stuck in that weird #9.5 role KJ was flirting with at the time and it didn't come off at all.

He did get some minutes up top as well. He was fucking rubbish, there are no two ways about it. Looked like a parks player.

We could have signed Darren Bent. If we wanted to cough up £35k a week towards his wages, and accommodate the fact that he contributes nothing to general play.

There aren't that many quality forwards that are perpetually available for loan. Of course anyone would have been better than Sagbo as he was worse than Leon, but we weren't to know that. He actually looked ok at points in his first season with Hull.

If we could look outside of england, there are a lot of valuable players around i guess

He did get some minutes up top as well. He was $#@!ing rubbish, there are no two ways about it. Looked like a parks player.

Aye, we were really shit during that period.

Tbf i though sagbo would be better than hr was..rubbish, yes

If we could look outside of england, there are a lot of valuable players around i guess

But you can't loan them between September and December inclusive. We can only loan from other English clubs during that period.

Leicester fans reporting that they have met Sako's wage demands.

Someone called Jason Bourne tweeting it.

4-4-2 with him and Fuchs on the left? Exciting, but that would be a very weak defensive point, the kind I don't think you can afford in the PL.

They have been playing three at the back with wing-backs according to them with Schlupp playing that left sided WB.

Fuchs is the natural replacement for him, so god knows where they intend playing Sako. Some of them suggested he'd play behind the striker but that's not really where his strength lies.

Back