• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I think it's pre season or bust for him. He'll be 22 in September so only around a year younger than Dicko and Afobe. It's his lack of an impact on loan that worries me. If he doesn't come through this Autumn, I think it would be better for his career to go elsewhere and put down some roots.

Lots of ability Liam McAlinden its finding a system of play that helps him apply himself better.

Because he's a good footballer who we have handled badly.

We've sent him on loan and played him in the first team (off the bench) numerous times when he has been here, what've we done wrong, or rather, what could we have done differently?

He's twice been recalled from loan and then not played. On both occasions we needed him as bench cover so the right thing for the club but not the player

And there is no way he should ever have been behind Leon Clarke at any point. And he started one game before we binned him again.

I'm also not convinced that McAlinden should be played as a wide player.

Given that, is his best position as one of a front 2? If so, could McAlinden be a foil for one of Afobe/Dicko were we to amend our shape to 4-4-2 for a specific match?

He's quick and enthusiastic and does have some ball skills but at the moment that's not enough.
The last time I saw him he looked lightweight, even though he'd bulked up a bit.
He needs to learn how to handle himself esp. when going for the ball in the box.

I can see Liam being successful elsewhere but think the timing just isn't right for him here, similar to Vokes (not identical obv. but I think the parallels would be clear).

TBF I've only seen McAlindon play 2 or 3 times but from what I've seen he doesn't have what it takes at this level, should he get more 1st team game time and prove me wrong, I will more than happily eat humble pie

I can see Liam being successful elsewhere but think the timing just isn't right for him here, similar to Vokes (not identical obv. but I think the parallels would be clear).

League One striker - Iwill be amazed if he willever be anything more. Very surprised we offered him another year.

TBF I've only seen McAlindon play 2 or 3 times but from what I've seen he doesn't have what it takes at this level, should he get more 1st team game time and prove me wrong, I will more than happily eat humble pie

What is it that you think is missing from his game, I see a good young home grown striker with excellent technical skills in all departments. Having the ability to play various positions across the front line.

What is it that you think is missing from his game, I see a good young home grown striker with excellent technical skills in all departments. Having the ability to play various positions across the front line.

His technical, tactical and mental ability doesn't seem to be strong enough to make up for his physical shortcomings at Championship level as it stands, too easily outpaced or outpowered on his few appearances at that level. Perhaps with age he can pick up the nouse to overcome those shortcomings or put the hardwork in the gym in an attempt to eradicate them completely but he's certainly not there yet.

His technical, tactical and mental ability doesn't seem to be strong enough to make up for his physical shortcomings at Championship level as it stands, too easily outpaced or outpowered on his few appearances at that level. Perhaps with age he can pick up the nouse to overcome those shortcomings or put the hardwork in the gym in an attempt to eradicate them completely but he's certainly not there yet.

Physicality he can develop, I see confidence as the key issue once he starts demanding the ball and wants to be a pivotal figure the rest could follow. I hope he gains first team opportunities.

McAlinden is a a technically proficient footballer without any stand out qualities. He will make a career in football in the lower leagues where there are loads of players of McAlinden's quality. The most obvious comparison is with Benik Afobe, both similar ages and for me the difference in quality is obvious.

But guys, he blossoms into a wonderful footballer in FIFA 14. He anchored my run through Euros. And we all know that's more important than doing anything of note in real life.

Back