• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Yeah, you couldn't play their current system and play those two. No chance.

Jackett and Thelwell have performed poorly in the transfer market this last season with only Afobe and RvlP having a regular impact on the first team. That's shocking. I hope they perform better this summer and they look to have started well. I hope the Mason rumours aren't true as he's very average and I can't see him moving Dicko or Afobe. And it would not be good business at the silly prices quoted.

It'll end up being a 3-4-3 with Sako as the left sided forward IMO. Good luck to him.

Jackett and Thelwell have performed poorly in the transfer market this last season with only Afobe and RvlP having a regular impact on the first team. That's shocking. I hope they perform better this summer and they look to have started well. I hope the Mason rumours aren't true as he's very average and I can't see him moving Dicko or Afobe. And it would not be good business at the silly prices quoted.

You're quite right that business was poor, it is skewed a little though by us already having a team that was good enough even though we were straight out of L1 (as we should never have been there in the first place). We didn't need an overhaul.

That's fair and I guess a little frustrating as both Thelwell and Jackett had built a very good squad for a championship club at L1 level.

I don't think he'll go, and would imagine on the first day of training we'll hear about a new contract being signed, but I did say to my lad during Sako's lap of honour that "I hope Dicko is just keeping him company rather than also saying goodbye". Only a year left now.

As for Kike, a yes over Mason.

What a load of absolute tosh. We look set to lose Dicko...

Makes sense to report it that way, I think, given what else has been reported.

Either way Kike's a good player IIRC, I'd have him.

Kike is too slow for what we need. Nice enough footballer but I don't see it working.

Football League World has no legitimacy at all, mind.

Kike is too slow for what we need. Nice enough footballer but I don't see it working.

Football League World has no legitimacy at all, mind.

So I guess the question becomes, are we looking for a "Plan B" type or a "Dicko +1" type"?

Surely to God there are better strikers available to us than Kike and Joe Mason. Would either of them play for a team that won the Championship?

I don't think signing a big lug of a targetman would work for us. I think whoever we sign should fit what we have, obviously we have the issue that it will be very hard to get better than that.

I haven't given up on McAlinden yet.

We have a very good set of strikers who can play in a 2 or alone with a 10 behind them. Slow target man types don't work in this system as Sagbo and Graham prove. A strong, quick striker with a good touch is needed.

We have a very good set of strikers who can play in a 2 or alone with a 10 behind them. Slow target man types don't work in this system as Sagbo and Graham prove. A strong, quick striker with a good touch is needed.

Point made but I don't think we're playing the same system now that we were before we bought Afobe.

Dicko isn't Premier League standard imo.

I dunno, I'd have Dicko ahead have the likes of

A Kone
S Long
L Ulloa
L Kozak
C Wickham
E Riviere
F Campbell
D Graham
L Jutkiewicz
Y Sagbo
S Ameobi
Y Sanogo
M Emnes

So I don't think he'd be particularly out of place.

I think a lot depends on what teams are looking for. I think Dicko would be a decent bench option for a middling to lower end PL club at a comparatively (with only a year left on his contract) cheap price. The comparison being some of those Alan has mentioned above along with Weimann, Nugent, Ideye, Hooper, Pitman, Grabban etc. I don't see him improving many first 11's though and don't think we'd sell unless the offer was £4m+ (I doubt it would be) or he went all "heads gone".

If the club Sako goes to were interested then that could be a tempter for him, but remember none of these rumours have come from a credible source, so for me this is all hypothetical discussion rather than a real situation we are faced with currently and as a said above I expect an announcement on a new contract once pre season training starts (feeling, not ITK)

Back