• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Mason wouldn't be one of those on big wages though. And in front of him for Cardiff were kenwynne Jones, macheda, eion Doyle, revell and le fondre and he couldn't get a spot? Not exactly unable to get in because of the excellence of others.

Don't get me wrong, if kenny thinks he's the man then fine, but as an outsider, I don't see it.

Cardiff's turnover of managers probably hasn't helped him. New man comes in, signs his own players and they go straight to the front of the queue and that has happened with Solskjaer and Slade over the course of 12 months.

Cardiff's transfer policy has been really poor, they've continually had 6-7 senior strikers on the books for a while, far too many.

True - but we'd also probably have sold for a lot less than £2m of anyone had offered it at the time. The bit I don't get is what's turned him from someone Cardiff haven't really wanted for two seasons who had average loan spells, into someone suddenly worth big money.

Season before last they were a Premier League team spending £9million+ on foreign flops and after that OGS didn't rate him/couldn't play him over Tan's expensive toys.

If we are serious in being after in then no doubt it is for a lowball offer. There' no way Kenny or Moxey would part with that money for someone like him. Cardiff need to reduce their wage bill so we'll try and get him on the cheap. If not we'll move on, simple as that.

If our scouting team has a weakness, strikers seem to be it. Clarke, Sagbo, Graham (not a whole failure, tbf), Delort (didn't we bid £2m+ for him?), etc.

Anyway until he's here in the gold shirt it's impossible to tell if he's worth whatever we pay.

Graham (not a whole failure, tbf)

TMdmy.gif

Yet we've unearthed Afobe and Dicko for under £2.5m. Swings, roundabouts.

Re-signing Leon was one of the stupidest things any football club has done this decade, but never mind.

Well he did score....

To counteract the above thread, our scouting team did find Dicko and Afobe.

If our scouting team has a weakness, strikers seem to be it. Clarke, Sagbo, Graham (not a whole failure, tbf), Delort (didn't we bid £2m+ for him?), etc.

Anyway until he's here in the gold shirt it's impossible to tell if he's worth whatever we pay.

Afobe, Dicko... Clarke was brought in to "do a job" on a short term contract (18 months) and as for Delort... Maybe he didn't fit into the set up of the team he decided to join (money talked for him clearly). Hardly massive failure by the scouting team Alan

Afobe, Dicko... Clarke was brought in to "do a job" on a short term contract (18 months) and as for Delort... Maybe he didn't fit into the set up of the team he decided to join (money talked for him clearly). Hardly massive failure by the scouting team Alan

Weakness =/= massive failure.

All I mean is that at that position we seem to be willing to splash more cash on bigger risks.

Compared to our other purchases/loans across the board, striker is the only position we've been somewhat unreliable at (depending on how much you want to write off Rowe and Saville).

Clarke was brought in to "do a job" on a short term contract (18 months)

This is folly though on numerous levels.

1) He didn't do a job at all

2) At our level, you don't pay £750k for a short term job

3) He has never been any good above League One and we clearly had no designs on spending more than one year there

4) Enough people are still at the club now that were here in 2007 when we first sold him to know that he's a man with a chip on both shoulders and a shit footballer

Like I say, monumentally stupid and cripplingly obvious what would happen. But all managers make the odd rick here and there.

Graham scored at home to Bournemouth. Looked alright too until Mike Jones decided to show off.

Missed an absolute sitter vs Sheff Wed, then played the first half vs Brighton (shit) and was never sighted again.

One wasn't it?

Aye, you're right. I was thinking it was a winner against Bournemouth but we actually lost that match.

Okay, so he was a bust as well. One (kind of pointless) goal in five appearances.

We should sign somebody alike to callum wilson as third choice(i know easier said than done) or a very experienced player like billy sharp type..known scorer

I wouldn't want Sharp here for free. Mr Tikka would have record profits but he's been shite for years.

Dicko is a similar player to Wilson, don't see why we need another.

Back