• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Pizzi is 31. Oliveira is indeed 29. Both seem outside our normal target age ranges!

Oliveira has had a couple of fantastic seasons by the look of it but surely money on him is dead with no particular resale value.

I've not really got a problem with the self sufficient approach to be honest. It's better than splurging on players who are only really coming because we overpay on wages compared to clubs of a similar profile.

If a players is available and they thinks it's good value they'll pay it, but they aren't going to pay over the odds in wages as compensation for coming to a what's seen as a lesser team. It'd be pretty easy to hit the limits of FFP by having a big squad full of overpaid mercenaries we can't shift because no other club would pay their inflated wages.

I do think they are committed long term in terms of growing the club, they've just decided (rightly or wrongly) that to throw money at it probably isn't the wisest approach. If they weren't commited long term, it wouldn't really make sense to me that they are still buying players on potential with a view to their value increasing years down the line.

The other aspect is I don't know if I'd feel fully comfortable in them just throwing money at it and loading the club with debt, if they ever did then truly lose interest, that could become quite messy, especially if most of the playing squad were overpaid.

I'm still overall quite positive, some of the players we have now are just incredible compared to a few years ago. We've got a squad full of international players who've won titles in Spain, France and Portugal. I'm looking forward to the next few years in seeing how all these 'wonderkids' like Neto, Ait Nouri, Trincao and Silva develop as well, and I'm sure there will be more to come too.

So that post turned into quite a long one but in summary yes I think they are commited. Of course that's all just a guess from me and they could be looking to sell ASAP, I just think they're in it for the long haul.
No apologies needed for the length of post, that is a very balanced well written perspective. Agree fully.
Tickles me how speculative some postings are when talking about the strategy of one of the largest and arguably successful organisations in the world.
For all the silence, we are owned by a Chinese conglomerate, who are running us prudently, and not like a bunch of free spending flamboyant Yanks, what else do we expect?
Everyone involved or who we sign must add value as we are still a relative premier league newcomer and see the long term approach as being the best option as we continue to develop….I’m good with that.
Like many other posters have said we still need 3/4 ‘quality’ signings though.

No apologies needed for the length of post, that is a very balanced well written perspective. Agree fully.
Tickles me how speculative some postings are when talking about the strategy of one of the largest and arguably successful organisations in the world.
For all the silence, we are owned by a Chinese conglomerate, who are running us prudently, and not like a bunch of free spending flamboyant Yanks, what else do we expect?
Everyone involved or who we sign must add value as we are still a relative premier league newcomer and see the long term approach as being the best option as we continue to develop….I’m good with that.
Like many other posters have said we still need 3/4 ‘quality’ signings though.
Your last sentence makes the rest of your post redundant if it doesn't happen. That's the litmus test.

Also a lot of forgetting generally we finished 7th 2 years running in terms of expectation. Being Crystal Palace 5 years ago would have been aspirational, now it's a bit meh. Things evolve

Last edited:
Why does everything have to be at either extreme. It’s either Mike Ashley or Roman Abramovich.

There tons of room on the spectrum to be self sufficient whilst still doing some spending without being ”free spending flamboyant yanks”.

Why does everything have to be at either extreme. It’s either Mike Ashley or Roman Abramovich.

There tons of room on the spectrum to be self sufficient whilst still doing some spending without being ”free spending flamboyant yanks”.
There is no nuance on the internet

Pretty clear Xi Jinping has been trying to reign in overseas spending by Chinese corporations for a while now. Can’t imagine many at Fosun HQ want to do a Jack Ma any time soon

I thought the discussion about it was pretty nuanced tbh. Trying to work out why a club would make £20m+ profit every year but not take it out the club.
It's a paper profit. Three good years of sustainable profits, credit lines that are successful and assets on the balance sheet makes for good reading at board meetings.

More importantly it makes the club saleable. That's where Fosun get their money back, not on taking cash out of a business and market that is generally cash poor.

Infrastructure is where Fosun are stuck at the moment and if they won't invest further then they have no hope of making Wolves a sustainable top 6/7 team.

It takes a lot more than they are putting in, they would need to invest the same as the Villa owners in the team.

At the moment Fosun need around £500m in a sale to make 4x profit. I don't think the market is there for that now unless we become a billionaire play thing.

I also don't think the brand (which is what Fosun are trying to build) is there right now and may never be as that too would take more money than they're currently throwing at it.

I always found that pizza song embarrassing, firstly it's just awful and secondly he hadn't even kicked a ball for us and we were all singing this god awful song about him.

Pretty clear Xi Jinping has been trying to reign in overseas spending by Chinese corporations for a while now. Can’t imagine many at Fosun HQ want to do a Jack Ma any time soon
This isn't true, I know of two Fosun subsidiaries in pharma that have attracted huge investment (7 figures), one in NY and one in NI.

Not Covid related either.

Used to sound like 'Patrick and his ponies', in an Irish traveller accent when they sung it in the grounf

At the moment Fosun need around £500m in a sale to make 4x profit. I don't think the market is there for that now unless we become a billionaire play thing.
Mike Ashley actively trying to sell Newcastle and can’t get a buyer. You’d say they are a better proposition. Although I think the price is too high putting people off.
Thing is we’re not asking them to spend any of their money. Just spend the money WWFC are making rather than having it as profit in the books.

Last edited:
Back