• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Undoubtedly would be better than any calcs I made!

It's a genuine (not loaded) question, just wondering if people think Fosun are no longer really committed
I think they're committed to us, but not to the tune of pouring pots of cash in.

They want us to be self-sufficient. I think that's self-defeating and dangerous in the context of a mid-table Prem club like us, but that's by-the-by.

Undoubtedly would be better than any calcs I made!

It's a genuine (not loaded) question, just wondering if people think Fosun are no longer really committed
Not not committed, but they've definitely put the cheque book in the pursuit of making the club financially self sufficient. They've clearly looked at how much it will take to break the top six, and decided it's not worth the investment or the risk

I'm on the fence about this whole discussion, but if this is the case, why are we not spending then? What's the endgame? Just being tight?
No idea, I still don't really know why Fosun bought Wolves.

Initially I thought it was to establish their name in the UK so it would help them when bidding for construction projects.

Maybe they've seen wolves twitter and thought "fuck that noise"

Perhaps Fosun want to start paying back the loan? Self sufficient can be read in different ways

Perhaps Fosun want to start paying back the loan? Self sufficient can be read in different ways
I wouldn't mind if they actually said that. It would make more sense than what we are currently doing. Players like Neves would be worth even more if we were regularly challenging for europa league spots though.
It's really fucking strange to go from spunking £30m+ on a right back to sell before buy.

Suggests a rapid change in strategy
We had a £0 net spend last summer too (when we bought Nelson)

It's really fucking strange to go from spunking £30m+ on a right back to sell before buy.

Suggests a rapid change in strategy
And of course 35mill on Fabio.

Vestergaard was "only" 15million, i'm sure we couldn't compete with Leicester in terms of attraction, but Christ that seems a good deal.

And of course 35mill on Fabio.

Vestergaard was "only" 15million, i'm sure we couldn't compete with Leicester in terms of attraction, but Christ that seems a good deal.
If they truly believe Fabio is a generational talent then I can kind of understand it.

My point is more that you don't need to spend £30m+ on a RB for a club like us. Even less so if you know funds will be tight.

Unless we're run by morons but I really don't think we are

No idea, I still don't really know why Fosun bought Wolves.

Initially I thought it was to establish their name in the UK so it would help them when bidding for construction projects.

Maybe they've seen wolves twitter and thought "fuck that noise"

Didn't realise Fosun had any interest in construction?

Vestergaard was "only" 15million, i'm sure we couldn't compete with Leicester in terms of attraction, but Christ that seems a good deal
Last year of his contract. Southampton have got £42m in the last week for 2 players that didn't want to sign new deals.

Didn't realise Fosun had any interest in construction?
I just assumed being a multinational they'd want a piece of that pie.

Obviously I've just done a smidgen of reading and now realise it's not something they're really into.

I still don't really know why Fosun bought Wolves.

Make £10-£20m a season, pay off the debt over 5-10 years. Sell the club for a massive profit.

Only Strategy I can think of why they wouldn’t want to just break even. Would explain why they don’t want to invest in the stadium.

Doubt midtable stagnation making a profit With no sign of spending/progression will be tolerated by the fan base, much like it isn’t at Newcastle. But they can’t find a buyer…

See what Neto did to him defending deep. Do you really want that higher up the pitch?

I've not really got a problem with the self sufficient approach to be honest. It's better than splurging on players who are only really coming because we overpay on wages compared to clubs of a similar profile.

If a players is available and they thinks it's good value they'll pay it, but they aren't going to pay over the odds in wages as compensation for coming to a what's seen as a lesser team. It'd be pretty easy to hit the limits of FFP by having a big squad full of overpaid mercenaries we can't shift because no other club would pay their inflated wages.

I do think they are committed long term in terms of growing the club, they've just decided (rightly or wrongly) that to throw money at it probably isn't the wisest approach. If they weren't commited long term, it wouldn't really make sense to me that they are still buying players on potential with a view to their value increasing years down the line.

The other aspect is I don't know if I'd feel fully comfortable in them just throwing money at it and loading the club with debt, if they ever did then truly lose interest, that could become quite messy, especially if most of the playing squad were overpaid.

I'm still overall quite positive, some of the players we have now are just incredible compared to a few years ago. We've got a squad full of international players who've won titles in Spain, France and Portugal. I'm looking forward to the next few years in seeing how all these 'wonderkids' like Neto, Ait Nouri, Trincao and Silva develop as well, and I'm sure there will be more to come too.

So that post turned into quite a long one but in summary yes I think they are commited. Of course that's all just a guess from me and they could be looking to sell ASAP, I just think they're in it for the long haul.

Back