• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Vinagre stagnated to the point he was a hinderance at both ends of the pitch. If anything his defending was at least OK but he couldn’t cross a road and refused to beat a man. This was absolutely useless in a back 5 and was summed up by his performance against West Ham.

Was this lack of ability or lack of confidence/poor form? To go all Jacqui Oatley “Is RAN £20m better than Vinagre”. At this moment no, maybe he is in the future though. However, we still have Jonny on the books and in the future he is going to be first choice again (he will come back, it’s fine). So a Marcal/Vinagre stop gap is probably the best use of resources if the budget is limited rather than spending £20m on someone who may/may not become a world beater, injury permitting we have LB/LWB locked down long term in Jonny and there’s other gaping holes in the squad instead.

I don’t think we can have any faith that Jonny comes back for any length of time again. Two massively serious knee injuries in quick succession doesn’t bode well. Marcal is broken, Vinagre is rubbish, just get RAN in.

I'd definitely get in RAN. I'm less convinced that we need to spend the money on Vitinha though

I don’t think we can have any faith that Jonny comes back for any length of time again. Two massively serious knee injuries in quick succession doesn’t bode well. Marcal is broken, Vinagre is rubbish, just get RAN in.
He will be fine. ACLs fail, they get fixed. We still don’t know why it failed, apparently a challenge in training, that’s just bad luck. He’d played plenty of football so to say “he came back too soon” wouldn’t be right.

I thought I'd read that the previous ACL fix hadn't quite worked fully as expected.

I thought I'd read that the previous ACL fix hadn't quite worked fully as expected.
Well it worked as he played for over a month, rehabbed for months prior to that etc, had an MRI again on it before eventually playing. It was fine.

The fact he snapped his MCL as well means he’s taken a blow to the knee laterally and it didn’t just “fail” because it hadn’t remodelled enough and was weak.

So my moneys on MGW doing him in training!

The quote was pretty ambiguous something like we know what went wrong

tbf they were 3 consecutive games in the EL. He's the one who brought down Traore

Yeah, he was a bit rash from what I’ve seen (mainly those games tbf like TT) but he seems to have a good reputation. Doubt he’s coming here

Vitinha back at Porto, I guess the CFO (I think?) from Porto was telling porkies when he said we had an obligation to sign him

What a fucking waste of time and money that was then.
Maybe, if they don't think he's right for us the worst think we could do is chuck more money on him. I guess that's why we try before you buy

Will be interesting to see who they think they are going to get better value for.

It's possible that Bruno has said he doesn't fit into his system etc... but again if the idea is to sign younger talented players, and we don't sign either of him or RAN, I'm confused as to what the strategy is again

I'm probably gonna sound like a Fosun cheer leader but paying £20m for a player who had 1 or 2 good games for us probably isn't the best use of budget.

If we can sign him and do all the other things we want to do, great, but I don't think we can.

I do like him and I would like us to sign talented youngsters who will develop but I get it if the focus is changing a bit to the "now".

I'm probably gonna sound like a Fosun cheer leader but paying £20m for a player who had 1 or 2 good games for us probably isn't the best use of budget.

If we can sign him and do all the other things we want to do, great, but I don't think we can.

I do like him and I would like us to sign talented youngsters who will develop but I get it if the focus is changing a bit to the "now".
That is fair, I get that perspective on Vitinha. The potential is obvious though, and that is what I thought was the idea of our recruitment strategy. Perhaps not right now, but seems weird to flip flop with that.

Ait-Nouri is a no brainer for me so I'm going to be annoyed when we inevitably don't sign him

Where's the Vitinha stuff coming from?

That is fair, I get that perspective on Vitinha. The potential is obvious though, and that is what I thought was the idea of our recruitment strategy. Perhaps not right now, but seems weird to flip flop with that.
Particularly if one of the supposed selling points of Lage is that he's great with kids.

Back