• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I'm not sure many people bought the "obligation" thing, why would we put that in, we were never going to get relegated in the first place?

It'd be as pointless as us signing Guedes (please, don't) this summer and saying to Valencia "aye, we'll give you an extra £50m on top if we win the league this season".

I'm not sure many people bought the "obligation" thing, why would we put that in, we were never going to get relegated in the first place?

It'd be as pointless as us signing Guedes (please, don't) this summer and saying to Valencia "aye, we'll give you an extra £50m on top if we win the league this season".
I specifically remember a number of posts which effectively said "I'll believe Porto's chairman over Spiers, cheers xx".

It's almost like he reports what he is told in good faith and occasionally he might be right, and occasionally he might be slightly wide of the mark. People gotta people, though and will abuse/disagree with him regardless.

I think we all know what the deal is with Timothy. When the club want to feed him a soft story (like how we dealt with European away games), they'll give him all the access he wants. Otherwise, it's locked down. His favourite players have all gone now so he has nothing there. No-one else knows owt either. I used to get the odd snippet here and there, I don't any more.

My issue with him is that his writing is shite, bordering on juvenile.

I specifically remember a number of posts which effectively said "I'll believe Porto's chairman over Spiers, cheers xx".

It's almost like he reports what he is told in good faith and occasionally he might be right, and occasionally he might be slightly wide of the mark. People gotta people, though and will abuse/disagree with him regardless.
Apart from one post, the majority of criticisms of that particular article were to do with its content. It stated we may play 3 or 4 at the back, sign some players, sell others and may or may not take up loan options. It told us nothing that we didn't already know.
It would appear that he may be correct on the Vitinha one and could well be correct on the transfer budget for this summer. As a journalist covering the club if he didn't ever get anything right why would they employ him?

We are just folk on the internet debating on a wide range of Wolves and other topics. He is the chief reporter for our club in worldwide publication so it comes with the territory, that if he is wrong, if people suspect that he is wrong or if people don't like his writing style then he is going to get negative coverage.

Obligation in terms of clubs having a deal lined up is one thing, no one has considered the player have have just gone: fuck that - I'd rather play first team Porto games over sitting on the bench at Wolves. Taking away the club loyalty, I think i know where I'd rather play my football as a 20 year old

Sounds like Ait Nouri will be signed - although the rumour is for 12m euros with a 50% sell-on.

One factor is whether Vitinah actually wants to sign permanently. Can't have been easy for him last year, new country at such a young age and not being able to do all the normal things you might do to settle into a new area. Maybe he's a bit unsure. Same for RAN. All speculation of course.

Given managers rarely last more than 3 years the plan to sign youngsters with potential that is likely to take 3 years to be realised doesn't make much sense if the next manager in doesn't see how said players fit into his system. Clearly we don't know if this is the case but Vitinha seems very lightweight for a midfield two and doesn't really fit into a wide role. I'll be very disappointed if we don sign RAN though as he can clearly play as a left back or left wing back, we need one and he's good enough to start now.

Sounds like Ait Nouri will be signed - although the rumour is for 12m euros with a 50% sell-on.
Joey E&S reporting this but added we can also buy out the sell on fee if we wish

Can't ever remember a sell on like that! Lose out if we sell him North of €24m versus the original deal then. That's about the fee we are rumoured to be getting for Vinagre, so essentially a swap

Percy reporting it now, so the deal is done.

The option to buy out the clause is a good one for us. Presume if the lad is flying and getting interest we just drop another £10m and then take the £80m 👀 Jorge gets us...

Seems weird to have an MO of buying young with star potential so as to sell on at a profit... and then allow large sell on clauses

Pleased if we get it over the line though, talented player and improved over the season into a good starting option

Depends what the buy out is doesn’t it. It will be set at a level where we will pay more than the original fee for the privilege of having the insurance.

Only becomes a factor is he becomes a big deal. Steady PL or worse then we get the better end of the deal.

One factor is whether Vitinah actually wants to sign permanently. Can't have been easy for him last year, new country at such a young age and not being able to do all the normal things you might do to settle into a new area. Maybe he's a bit unsure.
His missus is pregnant as well. That will have a big sway on things if she wasn’t over here with him.

Given managers rarely last more than 3 years the plan to sign youngsters with potential that is likely to take 3 years to be realised doesn't make much sense if the next manager in doesn't see how said players fit into his system. Clearly we don't know if this is the case but Vitinha seems very lightweight for a midfield two and doesn't really fit into a wide role. I'll be very disappointed if we don sign RAN though as he can clearly play as a left back or left wing back, we need one and he's good enough to start now.

I thought one of the points of having a head coach as opposed to a manager is that when they leave you have some footballing consistency from the top in terms of system and how players fit in (of course that can always evolve)

I thought one of the points of having a head coach as opposed to a manager is that when they leave you have some footballing consistency from the top in terms of system and how players fit in (of course that can always evolve)
I guess we'll find out soon, but history suggest Lage and Nuno favour different styles.

Yeah that's the idea of the DoF model too. New manager/coach is allowed some scope but can't have wholesale clearouts to bring in "their players" on a repeating cycle.

Back