• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I can't say "Onana" and not follow it with "what's my name", so I'll have to turn him down purely on that basis.

Neres is our kind of signing.
Great replacement? “We’ve got Neres, David Neres. I just don’t think you understand...”

No one is giving us that for a 33 year old goalkeeper.
Us, no. This would be Mourinho, Mendes and Wolves so £9m to us £6m to intermediaries.

Putting cynicism aside, that seems a lot given his age and contract status

Roma don't have any money, they aren't paying that.

Petr Cech was 33 in 2015 when he joined Arsenal for £10m. He's pretty much the only keeper of that kind of age who has ever gone for any kind of meaningful fee. In the midst of a pandemic, no-one is paying way more than that for a keeper who with the best will in the world, is no Petr Cech.

We’ve seen some odd transfer fees involving Mendes to ‘help out’ one of his clubs when needed - might be our turn to benefit for a change.

If we're about to put a mendes stooge in as manager there has to be some benefits right?

City paid £16m for 33 year old Bravo 5 years ago and he’s shite.

If they think he’s got 4 years at the same level and they feel that level to be good enough then £15m is a bargain.

Surely we can get a decent replacement in for £15m. Might not be quite such a good shot stopper but having a keeper happier to come off his line and better with his feet would more than compensate.

Aaron Ramsdale cost Sheffield United £20m.

Would you be happy with him? I wouldn't.

We seem to be systematically downgrading everywhere across the club.

Well, they could pleasantly surprise me.

But if you want to continue that analogy, it's like Radiohead putting out a terrible single and then saying "buy our new album next month". Er, probably not lads, eh.

Or you could equate it to listening to the first couple of notes of the single and saying ‘nah, sorry that’s shit’.

Is it Starsailor? Then yeah, it's shit :D

It's only blind faith at the moment if you want to be positive, which I've never really been into.

- Sacked our best manager of the last 40+ years (some would argue much longer than that)
- About to appoint someone who'd never get near any other Premier League job
- Strong rumours about getting rid of our top end goalkeeper, because reasons
- Almost certain to massively ramp up prices just because we can, and fuck you if you can't afford it
- An executive team that would shame a crappy start-up recruitment firm

We're directionless and rudderless as far as I can see. The Titanic was fine until it actually hit the iceberg. It's no good saying "oh well, it was all good up to that point", if you can see the danger looming then you point it out.

About sums it up. I think just about anyone would say that our situation looks far from ideal. We haven't looked great this season and we all knew some surgery was required this summer and that was without Nuno and his entire backroom team being gone plus the spine of the team potentially going too. Some are saying Rui 'good, he's rubbish'. 1. He's not rubbish 2. Who the hell replaces him?

I'm open minded on Lage after reading up on him, not my first choice but not Saunders either but there's the WP situation plus who are his backroom staff after a year on the sidelines?

If not Lage its option 2, will option 2 know he's the second choice not top?

Hopefully Jeff has a masterplan that we are not privy too, he has before but on the face of it, it looks like its all come apart at the seams

If you could sell Rui for £15m and sign a 28 year old for £30m that would be good business. Now ideally that new keeper is better but even if they were on a par then it would at least be a break even financially and performance wise.

Obviously that is all “theoretical” and fine if there is no cash flow issue (the sale would make it fine on the books). But if doing that means you neglect other areas then it’s obviously not a priority area so may make financial sense but not football sense.

If the Rui of last season is the new Rui then I think you do it. If that was just a one off then you don’t.

Is it Starsailor? Then yeah, it's shit :D

It's only blind faith at the moment if you want to be positive, which I've never really been into.

- Sacked our best manager of the last 40+ years (some would argue much longer than that)
- About to appoint someone who'd never get near any other Premier League job
- Strong rumours about getting rid of our top end goalkeeper, because reasons
- Almost certain to massively ramp up prices just because we can, and fuck you if you can't afford it
- An executive team that would shame a crappy start-up recruitment firm

We're directionless and rudderless as far as I can see. The Titanic was fine until it actually hit the iceberg. It's no good saying "oh well, it was all good up to that point", if you can see the danger looming then you point it out.
I don't have the in depth knowledge that most of you have re the daily state of players, managers etc etc but fuck me it looks like someone is trying to deliberately sabotage the club.

I was on the fence re Nuno but unless there was a suitable replacement already lined up, it appears to be me to poor business management the way it has been handled despite the gracious send-off for Nuno.

As for incoming players we needed at least 3 to walk into and bolster the first team. With the rumoured sales of a number of our top players we're going to need 7-8 players at this rate.

This has all the hallmarks of a giant clusterfuck that could very well see us relegated next season.

I don't have the in depth knowledge that most of you have re the daily state of players, managers etc etc but fuck me it looks like someone is trying to deliberately sabotage the club.
I don't agree with this. Poor decisions are being/maybe made through a combination of naivety, hubris or arrogance, but deliberately tanking doesn't make sense on any level.

The only one with questionable intentions is Mendes - we are just a revenue stream to him now, but that is in the control of those who run the club to put a lid on and us failing isn't in his best interests either

I don't agree with this. Poor decisions are being/maybe made through a combination of naivety, hubris or arrogance, but deliberately tanking doesn't make sense on any level.

The only one with questionable intentions is Mendes - we are just a revenue stream to him now, but that is in the control of those who run the club to put a lid on and us failing isn't in his best interests either
It was in jest re "deliberately sabotage" . . . should have noted sarcasm.

I'm just gobsmacked, as you have said, at the number of of naive, hubris or arrogance decisions rumour or otherwise which is going on at the club.

Back