• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Someone who comes to play wing-back at Wolves isn't going to be thrown into the team not knowing what to do. That's what Nuno and the coaches are there for.

Put me in the "unimpressed but willing to trust Nuno" for the AMN transfer.

Corona, Hakimi, Henrichs, Pereira, Semedo, Bellerin, Wass, Mallo, Gaspar, Fernandes, Hateboer, Merino, Zappacosta...

That's just RWB/RB and not wingers or LB/LWB who could convert. Didn't take me long.

If you genuinely think Matt Doherty is one of the best in the world in his position then you're just deluded.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk
Thanks for proving my point for me, how many of those play RWB in a 343?

How many of them can play RWB in a 3-4-3? All of them.

That wasn't the question.

Given that none (?) of them play that role for their clubs currently you are assuming they could play that role for us, it's just an assumption.

That wasn't the question.

Given that none (?) of them play that role for their clubs currently you are assuming they could play that role for us, it's just an assumption.
The question was whether you could think of anybody who could play that position better than Matt Doherty.

Do you seriously think that he couldn't be upgraded? I'm genuinely fascinated.

It's not that small of a list. There are a number of RWBs who would be an improvement on Doherty and a large number of them would be affordable.

You said there was a not a small list of affordable players that would be better than Doherty, then listed players that are expensive, wouldn't be attracted to Wolves and don't play in Doherty's position anyway.

We could improve on Doherty, but it would be expensive and the pool of players that would be a guaranteed improvement on him and willing to come to us/be sold to us is small.

I think it's a myth that he is so easy to improve upon, else we'd have done it by now, right?

We don’t need to improve on him yet, he’s proved far and away he’s adequate for the level we are at, we have far bigger priorities at the moment, (support striker/cover for Raul), (attacking CM Moutinho type, (yes I know, bloody hard to get)), CB and cover for Jonny.

Doherty is an upgrade for a serious push for top 4 IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of Doherty, Coady or Jonny had played in their specific position before Nuno coached them to.

I really don't understand your reluctance to accept other players could come in and play those roles EP.

Corona - A good shout this one.

Hakimi - Again a good shout, but given he's a 21 year old first teamer for Inter i'd say he's far from affordable or realistic.

Henrichs - Just signed on loan for Leipzig i believe, so neither affordable or realistic.

Pereira - Affordable? Plays RB for Leicester, not RWB, wouldn't come to us and would be very very expensive even if he did!

Semedo - Barcelona's RB? Affordable? Realistic? And utter turgid dogshit against Bayern the other day.

Bellerin - Bellerin is excellent, but how on earth is he affordable or realisitic?

Wass - A 31 year old utility player? Affordable, probably, but is he a good RWB? Not a lot of evidence to prove that?

Mallo - Spent all his career and Celta Vigo, so may well be realistic, but has played the majority of his career as a RB not a RWB, is only 5ft 8 so wouldn't offer anywhere the same back post protection that Doherty does and he's also 29, so not really a good age.

Gaspar - Good shout, is 29 though, affordable and realisitic? Possible.

Fernandes - Another 29 year old, he is particularly good in the air, not sure he is as good Doherty though.

Hateboer - I like him, i don't think he'd be affordable or realistic though?

Merino - I'm not sure who this is?

Zappacosta - Knackered isn't he? Did his ACL at Roma? Not sure he looked that great anyway.

So AMN can play both wing backs, midfield and winger

So that's pretty much every position bar CB and central striker

None of Doherty, Coady or Jonny had played in their specific position before Nuno coached them to.

I really don't understand your reluctance to accept other players could come in and play those roles EP.

I do accept it, i just don't think it's anywhere as easy or as cheap to replace good, solid 7/10 players like Saiss and Doherty as many other Wolves fans do.

I think it's our system which makes Doc look good rather than Doc being brilliant. Put any average right back in who is decent going forward and they'll look much better than they are.

*Runs away*

Doc brings us two main assets:

1) Aerial presence now that he's not too fat to get off the ground. Especially important on restarts, we always knock the ball out that way, he wins a lot.
2) Goalscoring instinct and most of the time, decent enough finishing.

He isn't and never will be a particularly good defender or crosser of the ball.

We could get a better footballer fairly easily, whether they'd suit us, who knows. I imagine we'll find out with AMN eventually at some point.

Regardless we need someone else in the squad who can also play at RWB. Adama is no good there and Buur isn't ever going to be the answer at our level.

I think it's our system which makes Doc look good rather than Doc being brilliant. Put any average right back in who is decent going forward and they'll look much better than they are.

*Runs away*
I think this is half true. Doherty doesn't play a conventional wing back role. He can't really cross a ball and comes inside not out. My question has always been is that what Nuno wants or is that what he does to maximise Doc's ability? Someone like Pereira would be a lot better as a conventional wing back overlapping a wide forward, but there's only really Douglas and to a lesser degree Vinagre that have done that under Nuno, he binned the former and has arguably just replaced the latter.

I think this is half true. Doherty doesn't play a conventional wing back role. He can't really cross a ball and comes inside not out. My question has always been is that what Nuno wants or is that what he does to maximise Doc's ability? Someone like Pereira would be a lot better as a conventional wing back overlapping a wide forward, but there's only really Douglas and to a lesser degree Vinagre that have done that under Nuno, he binned the former and has arguably just replaced the latter.

On a related note it'll be very interesting if we sign a LWB now or whether it's AMN role.

On a related note it'll be very interesting if we sign a LWB now or whether it's AMN role.

He's absolutely there for LWB for now.

When Jonny is back then he will rarely play there.

Anyway...

Wolves need to agree a fee with Arsenal & it is thought that will be in the region of an initial £20m plus add-ons. Maitland-Niles is understood to be excited by the prospect of working under Nuno Espirito Santo & the increased game time on offer. [Standard] #afc

Love that. Nuno the big pull (plus indicates his (Nuno’s) new contract is as good as done).

He's absolutely there for LWB for now.

When Jonny is back then he will rarely play there.

That's next season pretty much.

If MGW goes to Swansea we're effectively back where we started in terms of genuine first teamers. It'll be an interesting few weeks

Back