• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

There's a really good piece on The Athletic at the moment on David Silva, and how his stand out attribute - footballing intelligence - is hard to prove in any of the numbers or stats that we use in football. Now, obviously I'm not comparing the Matt Doherty to David Silva, but what they do have in common is that their best attribute is footballing intelligence. It's not hard to find a rwb that's quicker, or works harder tracking back, or has better defensive numbers, or can actually cross a ball, or beat a man, or do actually any of the things that one would want if they were to 'build' a rwb, in either a 343 or a 352. But the way doc exploits space, and makes movements that are unexpected for a rwb, is, I think, massively understated, and undervalued.

It's true that for any other side that plays 3 at the back, some lazy cunt scout could look at his numbers, sign him, and he'd be fucking shit, because he doesn't play like most, or even any, rwb that I've ever seen. He's an incredibly intelligent footballer, and it's his movement that's produced his numbers. From a purely technical perspective he should be bang average, but playing in this side, especially with Raul, makes him genuinely special/different from almost any other rwb I've seen. He plays it very differently and that's why I think I 'better' player wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade.

On AMN, the kid clearly has a good development arc, and a good work rate - and given what Nuno has done for Coady and Doc it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to him turn AMN into a #8/#10 that produces the solutions we need, as well as providing able cover for both doc and vinagre.

I don't think we'll be moving forward if we replace mgw's spot in the match day squad with one of the u23s.
Moving forwards no, but not backwards. You or I could sit on that bench for all the relevance MGW was. The team was on it's arse for the last few games, yet Nuno would neither start him or bring him on. If both Neves and Moutinho were injured he'd have played Donck and Saiss in midfield and Kilman at LCH.

Whether it's fair or not, Nuno wouldn't use him so his presence was an irrelevance

Jordao was ahead of MGW by the end of the season. He's fully fledged first team squad now, doubt we'll ever see him involved with the 23s again.

I’m not sure I’d go that far - he played six minutes of premier league football this season, as a token “have a debut son”.

Hopefully he’ll kick on though

So at the moment our 18 is this would you say?

Patricio, Doc, Boly, Coady, Saiss, Vinagre, Dendoncker, Neves, Moutinho, Traore, Jimenez, Ruddy, Kilman, Jordao, Jota, MGW, Podence, Neto?

Swap Buur for Campana possibly.

Maitland-Niles for Gibbs-White if both those deals happen.

So if we sign a centre back, it pushes Saiss to the bench. That’s Kilman or Jordao out.

Then I’d be looking at a midfielder. Replace Jordao potentially who might become the 19th man (or he goes on loan and that becomes Shabani, Campana, Otasowie)

Then a forward potentially (as discussed previously). At that point with Jonny still to return I’d be pretty happy with that overall.

diogo-jota-1589454869-38576.jpg

:icon_lol:

Consider that edited. I put him in the original first eleven then took him out because I thought I’d get stick!!

Apparently Chelsea have signed Malang Sarr (good player)

I’d still be tempted to try and loan Tomori with an option to buy.

Apparently Chelsea have signed Malang Sarr (good player)

I’d still be tempted to try and loan Tomori with an option to buy.

With their summer influx there has to be other options / prospects worth exploring in the Chelsea squad too

I don't really rate any of Chelsea's CB's it was a big weak area for them.

Tomori is good IMO. The fans seem disappointed he was out of favour. Will have been a big learning curve anyway.

If a club like Rennes want him on loan it's for good reason anyway, they are pretty smart.

I don't think he will be on our list of targets anyway.

I like Tomori, very good footballer.

Don't think they would even consider a sale though at this stage even if he has fallen away from the first XI.

Yeah think any loan from them will be strictly with a view to him returning the season after. And they’d command a big loan fee!

Tomori would be a good shout, if there was a chance to buy him.

I thought Jordao had gone out on loan, or was that just a rumour, or my imagination?

Ronan and Dadashov have gone on loan to Grasshoppers, Jordao is unlikely to be going anywhere.

There was a rumour about him going on loan to Familacao I think, but nothing concrete

There was a rumour about him going on loan to Familacao I think, but nothing concrete

Sounds like a lazy link after Rodders' loan there, IMO.

Genuinely shocked Arsenal are letting AMN leave.

Sounds like a lazy link after Rodders' loan there, IMO.

Genuinely shocked Arsenal are letting AMN leave.
Jordão to Famalicão makes a lot of sense. It's a Mendes club and they've just sold Pote to Sporting who plays the same position as Bruno.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Jordão to Famalicão makes a lot of sense. It's a Mendes club and they've just sold Pote to Sporting who plays the same position as Bruno.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Yes looks likely to me.

Shame I was hoping we'd see more of him this season.

Back