• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

An Arsenal full back whose last game for them was a Cup Final win. What could go wrong?

I'd be quite happy with AMN. English (so ticks the homegrown quota box), young and has potential to improve, £20m in today's market is nothing - plus he can play RWB, LWB or midfield. He wants to be in midfield doesn't he? Wouldn't be surprised to see him played further forward for us.

Was surprised to see how upset the Arsenal fans are with this on Twitter which is a good sign.

On Sky scrolling yellow message that 'Wolves in advanced talks with Arsenal over signing AMN on four year contract'

Not massively impressed with that. He's young and has room to improve but of all the wing backs we've been linked to he's far from my first choice.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Not massively impressed with that. He's young and has room to improve but of all the wing backs we've been linked to he's far from my first choice.

I think the thought process is that we're not going to spend the amount of money required to get someone better than Jonny, as that would be an astronomical sum. When he's back then he will always play.

So in the long run he is competition for Doc (which we need) and an extra option in midfield which is a bit different to anything else we have - he can run with the ball for a start, no-one else does that at the moment.

Wouldn't be my choice but I think that is the rationale.

Personally I don't want competition for Doherty, I want a clear upgrade, which AMN is not.

He's only 23 (in 5 days time) and a former England U-21 international.

He could sign on his birthday.

I can't believe people are moaning about this possibility.

yeah he's not the clear upgrade I wanted to read about but it's hard to get too mad about the signing

If Nuno still wants a small squad, which he has done, then it needs to be 16-18 that realistically will play, rather than just 13-14.
Whilst I would prefer obvious upgrades, given the number we would need to sign I can't object to a promising versatile youngster such as AMN.
Hopefully Nuno can work his magic on him.

Yeah, I'd back Nuno to improve him. And as you say, we know he can be relied on so it improves our depth.

Personally I don't want competition for Doherty, I want a clear upgrade, which AMN is not.

Then you'd be looking at a very very small list of RWB's and at a price of £40m plus and unrealistic to sign someone that good.

This would be competition who's very younger and therefore also has the potential to be an upgrade, whilst also being very versatile. Would be a great signing!

I'd rather sign players who are a clear upgrade on the starting 11, he's not with the possible exception of a none Jonny LWB situation. I'd also be concerned by him seeing himself as a midfielder and presumably looking for some sort of assurances around that.

However, Arsenal fans say he improved a lot last season and his versatility adds something to the squad. It's a player I'm sure Nuno will use, so increases the total less Jonny to 15.

I give me reserved approval which I'm sure means a lot to Nuno

AMN is a pretty good player, not bad at all..pretty happy with that if it happens

I think if we sign a starting centre back and an attacking midfielder this will be a pretty decent move on top of that.

Isn’t the chat that he wants to play CM? So is he the Donck in 3-5-2 replacement?

Pretty sure he had some disagreements at Arsenal because he wanted to play in midfield? I doubt we’re signing him with the idea of him being a wing back permanently although tbf our wing backs play very far forward and are extremely pivotal to how we play, not exactly the same as playing at right back I guess. Might be a good other option to Donk in a 3-5-2.

Then you'd be looking at a very very small list of RWB's and at a price of £40m plus and unrealistic to sign someone that good.

This would be competition who's very younger and therefore also has the potential to be an upgrade, whilst also being very versatile. Would be a great signing!

I agree with this. I also think Tim Spiers got it spot on during the Molineux View end of season podcast when he said he was still surprised by how many people just don't rate Doc. I suspect Nuno realises the position and job that Doc does is very specific, so to recruit a direct improvement on him will cost a fortune (much as it's easy for us on here to make suggestions). AML covers that role, gives direct cover/competition to Vinny on the other side while Jonny is out (got MOTM in the FA Cup final playing left back, I think?) and can also offer us something in midfield.

Very surprised that people are taking issue with this signing.

Mrs HW is an Arsenal fan and very knowledgeable. She says he is a steal for that price and Arsenal fans are really unhappy.

I think its a great signing.

Back