• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I think without Europe that's where we are at. Young player who might make the step up or veteran who can fill a hole if required. The alternative is gambling on Raul being fit for every game again

After seeing how much our players dropped off their usual standards at the end of last season, through no reason other than being absolutely flogged for 50+ games (Raul & Moutinho more than most), I would prefer we actually signed someone to help Raul out*

So basically, not the "alternative" option from your post

No point having a back up who can't stay fit.

I'd be well unhappy with oliveira. Whoever we get in needs to be able to start in games against clubs in the bottom 5. oliveira isn't that option.

Ability wise, Olivera would be ok - he’s a bit Raul lite in that he’s good in the air, can hold the ball up and link play and scores goals - that’s what we want in a back up.

It’s his attitude that bothers me, I can’t imagine he would be ok with scraps of games when Raul needed a rest.

I'd be well unhappy with oliveira. Whoever we get in needs to be able to start in games against clubs in the bottom 5. oliveira isn't that option.

Rauls playing every game he is fit for, which is most likely based on his and our injury records - every game.

I can’t say I’d be delighted with the signing, but whoever does fill that role is going to be limited in one way or the other unless we’re paying lots (which would be a waste) to play some cup games and 15 minutes at the end. Currently we don’t have anyone he’s willing to trust to play even 15 minutes.

The guy can actually play football and has played in England before, is apparently cheap and probably will be happy with bench duty

or score goals.

His record isn’t really any different to Raul’s even allowing for Raul’s last two seasons.

His record isn’t really any different to Raul’s even allowing for Raul’s last two seasons.

Not sure that's correct, is it?

Raul's record is a goal every 3 x games. Dat Man Welbz has a record of a goal every 5 games. You could say both have had a number of appearances off the bench (Raul pre-Wolves and Welbeck everywhere) but Welbeck played nearly 100 x games at the best, most attacking club in the country (at the time).

Sounds like Maitland-Niles is happening.

Not sure that's correct, is it?

Raul's record is a goal every 3 x games. Dat Man Welbz has a record of a goal every 5 games. You could say both have had a number of appearances off the bench (Raul pre-Wolves and Welbeck everywhere) but Welbeck played nearly 100 x games at the best, most attacking club in the country (at the time).

Sorry thought it was Nélson.

I have no interest in Wellbz on a footballing merit or fitness record.

Not massively sold on Maitland-Niles but if we are going to carry on with the small squad he can at least play numerous positions and with his age he has the potential to improve.

Don’t know where I stand on AMN. My arsenal supporting friend is disappointed he’s going, but I’ve never seen him look good (admittedly small sample).

Him on the right and Doc on the left!? Allows Doc to avoid crossing, more link up play coming inside and get on the end of Adama’s crosses.

He's played LWB for Arsenal too.

He's not what I'd be going for personally.

Sees himself as a midfielder. Can play both wing back roles so he's ideal in that sense too.

I'd personally be pretty happy with it but he really needs a prolonged run of games in one role!

Arsenal fans on Twitter seem pretty livid... particularly at the price tag.

AMN seems like a pretty canny buy in a lot of ways, for me. Young, versatile, and with a lot of overhead for improvement.

£20m also isn't much for a player of that profile in the grand scheme of things.

Arsenal fans seem to be unhappy that he's going and would rather sell Bellerin randomly.

Quite happy with the signing, flexible and already experienced in Premier league.

One of those wait and see signings. I’m sure Nuno sees something good in him, hopefully it’s more than just versatility and he can be a huge success with us.

Young, English and 100 games under his belt is good.

Back