• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

It was always a big season for MGW, he needs games, and if he’s not going to get in the side here this year then a loan to a side that will play him and plays good football is a good thing.

Hopefully he’ll smash it and come back to us a better and more experienced player next year (and that he’s fully over his back issue)

It just popped into my head that MGW got into trouble for breaking lock down rules. Maybe that's why he hasn't hardly figured after restart and is going out on season loan? Just a thought.

It's not impossible, but if that were the case I doubt he would have come on at all. I think it's just that he's not going to get meaningful game time for us and therefore isn't going to develop. He'll go to Swansea and come back a genuine first team option or won't play for Wolves again.

He needs minutes where it matters, Nuno clearly didn't want to chuck him in the deep end this season (which is strange because when he did that the previous season, it yielded some good results). Swansea is ideal I'd say, as long as he keeps himself in the team. He'll add more quality to the position than Conor Gallagher did at Swansea IMO, just depends if he can produce the work off the ball Gallagher did.

It's not impossible, but if that were the case I doubt he would have come on at all. I think it's just that he's not going to get meaningful game time for us and therefore isn't going to develop. He'll go to Swansea and come back a genuine first team option or won't play for Wolves again.

Who was the last player that was in and around the first team, went out on loan, and then came back and made a difference to the starting 11? (genuine question).

We seem to be working extremely hard to get some bodies out, either by sale or loan, which makes me think positively about bringing in a few new faces. I am hoping that we see our first signing get over the line this week, considering the season really isn't that far away. Last thing we need is a mad scramble at the end of the window to get another 1-2 faces in, but "patience" and all that.

On a separate note, I was a little surprised to see Ronan loaned out again. I don't think he'll ever make it here (I know he has his fans on this forum) but I reckon we could have got a reasonable fee for someone that hasn't kicked a ball for our first team in years. I'm not sure loan spell after loan spell helps anyone.

Who was the last player that was in and around the first team, went out on loan, and then came back and made a difference to the starting 11? (genuine question).

We seem to be working extremely hard to get some bodies out, either by sale or loan, which makes me think positively about bringing in a few new faces. I am hoping that we see our first signing get over the line this week, considering the season really isn't that far away. Last thing we need is a mad scramble at the end of the window to get another 1-2 faces in, but "patience" and all that.

On a separate note, I was a little surprised to see Ronan loaned out again. I don't think he'll ever make it here (I know he has his fans on this forum) but I reckon we could have got a reasonable fee for someone that hasn't kicked a ball for our first team in years. I'm not sure loan spell after loan spell helps anyone.
Hause and Iorfa would be the last two I would have thought. It's not really a true picture though as unless you believed the Bright hype then we haven't sent out anyone we would have expected to either.

Ronan is a good example, the club outgrew him very quickly. If we'd remained a mid table Championship side he'd have played 100 odd games for us by now imo. I guess the club think getting £100k every 6-12 months and his wages covered makes us more money in the long term than a sale / release would. Have a look at Jeff's comments about the Academy being a separate business unit from the weekend.

Here's a good one from this morning -

Wolves have reportedly enquired about striker Nelson Oliveira again after being linked with the forward in January.

However his club AEK Athens are becoming ‘irritated’ with the approaches as Wolves won’t up their offer. [source: SDNA]

Yeah I found that interesting. I quite liked his comments about helping the players with their careers (whether that's at non-league, football league or in our first team) but clearly they want it to be profitable too, much like Chelsea I would say.

Sending Ronan & Dadashov to Grasshoppers has nothing to do with their personal development, it's just about getting Grasshoppers promoted asap. We have a partnership with them which could potentially be worth way more to us than any fee we could get for Ronan/Dadashov. Both of those players have played at a much higher level than the Swiss 2nd division recently, they're basically going to be playing against a bunch of cattle farmers.

Here's a good one from this morning -

Well, he'd be cheaper than Paulinho...

Wouldn't be mad at signing Nelson Oliveira tbh, he's clearly not great but he doesn't really have to be. Just play the odd cup game or come on and see out a game for the last 10-15 to protect Raul.

Yeah now we aren't in Europe the need to sign a good striker is lessened I would say. Depends on if anyone comes in for Raul of course. But I'd be pretty comfortable with our forward options as it is.

I'm more bothered about us signing a centre back, wing back and midfielder right now.

16 goals in 33 appearances in the Greek superleague last season.

But I'd be pretty comfortable with our forward options as it is.

I'm not comfortable with them. Who exactly replaces Raul currently if he misses a couple of games or we need to bring him off?

Personally Jota, as more of a false nine.

We played Jota and Neto up top at Anfield and they did very well.

If we can find someone who will happily play second fiddle to Raul, great, I just don't see us finding a good quality player who will want to do that. If that was Oliveira, I'd be OK with that.

Oliveira would be fine. He’s not a bad player when he’s not shooting from 40 yards Freddy style whenever he gets the ball.

Suits out style of play too.

Not comfortable with buying players I would never actually want to pick by choice. Oliveira is miles off our standard.

I think without Europe that's where we are at. Young player who might make the step up or veteran who can fill a hole if required. The alternative is gambling on Raul being fit for every game again

Back