• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I personally worry about recruitment in the who the hell is doing it front...but I will say we would probably have different targets in the CL to just being in the PL and it's only in the last hour that's become apparent

I too have some issues over some aspects of our recruitment (from the little I know of it - in terms of personnel doing the video scouting) but we’ve largely got it right since Nuno came in. Even podence has proved to be a good addition

Not really sure Chelsea are the only team that have been proactive. Fulham have done a deal for Ampadu to join on loan, Palace signed Nathan Ferguson, City have signed Ake. There's been others too. I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens as we may have been waiting to see if we made the CL but there's not much time before next season starts and as others have said not too sure who's in charge of recruitment now

City have signed Ake *and* Torres. Few people were saying they liked the look of the Olympiakos LB - Liverpool already signed him. There have been players moving around Europe as well.

If we were waiting it's somewhat understandable but I can't help but think very short-sighted.

Few people were saying they liked the look of the Olympiakos LB - Liverpool already signed him.

Thing is with him, Liverpool will have been watching him for ages.

A week ago we didn't need a LWB.

We do need to get moving though particularly as it can be hit and miss how quickly our signings bed in. Some go right into the team, others have to wait weeks or even months.

There's a difference between small squad and small squad who are all first 11 players, that's what Nuno wants and it's not the first time he's said it. We have Buur on the bench

That's fair, although I would call it unsurprising that finding a 18-23 "first XI" players has been slow going.

That's fair, although I would call it unsurprising that finding a 18-23 "first XI" players has been slow going.
I doubt Nuno sees it that way, he doesn't demand multiple signings he wants players who can play and not be a drag overall in doing so. In the last year in terms of players he trusts to play considerable minutes we've replaced Costa, Cav and Bennett with Podence and Neto. Net we've gone back one although we've improved the mix. Assume today was a PL game and we were without Podence and Jonny. The bench would have been Kilman, Buur, Jota, MGW, Ruddy, Neto and Jordao. That's with just 2 players out. That's what needs fixing, but with first team replacements not kids with potential who Nuno will never play outside of an emergency

Costa never started a league game after Palace at home right at the start of January, I'd say we're about neutral overall.

Obviously we want to get better rather than stay the same.

Well he screamed for replacements in the summer and signed Vallejo and Cutrone who failed and weren’t replaced.

Did he? He made more of a fuss in January and we signed Podence who is a good signing.

Ah okay!

So we confirmed Cutrone and also added Neto after that which I guess is the two really. It just turned out the Vallejo was a disaster and Cutrone wasn't willing to wait for minutes.

We got Podence in January if Neto didn't count, but I still think he will want an attacker this window. If we didn't before, we definitely need a wing back now and I think we will want a centre back. I think we will aim for three quality signings, and as I've said before hopefully we can move quickly rather than waiting. We don't seem to get drawn into overpaying for players though.

Striker and central midfielder are the priorities for me, then lwb cover for Vinagre. I’m ok with the centre back situation atm, our defence is good, Donck is good there and Kilman has shown promising signs.

I think last Summer is a great example of the vulnerability of the small squad strategy or the weaknesses of our none JM recruitment - probably a bit of both. We were looking for our Bennett upgrade, Raul backup and wide forward depth. On paper we got 2 of those and did Jorge a favour on a couple of kids. It played out differently, but demonstrates you have to hit on almost every option or you'll continue to be short.

We have the 11 who started last night, Podence, Jonny, Neto and Jota who Nuno will give meaningful game time to. If Cutrone and Vallejo had worked out we may have got by, as it was we hit a wall.

Striker and central midfielder are the priorities for me, then lwb cover for Vinagre. I’m ok with the centre back situation atm, our defence is good, Donck is good there and Kilman has shown promising signs.

I think we will want a right sided defender who can bring the ball out like Donck but makes less mistakes and more dominant. Would also allow Boly to move back to the left. If we get to the stage where Dendoncker and Saiss are back up options we are doing really well IMO

Last year our biggest development was having more attacking options on the bench because we only really had Raul, Jota and Traore, so getting Neto and Podence (and Cutrone) was the big issue worked on. The second one was strengthening centre back which we theoretically did with Vallejo.

Obviously, only two out of the four worked, so we still need those two recruited, along with this seasons upgrades of a creative CM and a RWB.

We’re also one of the top spenders in the premier league over the last two seasons, I think we’ve been spending as hard as we can within FFP. I’m looking forward to what we do this year.

I think we will want a right sided defender who can bring the ball out like Donck but makes less mistakes and more dominant. Would also allow Boly to move back to the left. If we get to the stage where Dendoncker and Saiss are back up options we are doing really well IMO

I do agree but for me it’s 4th on the priority list right now.

Back