• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Jeff just needs to keep quiet or understand what he thinks is a good window won't = what others think.

All he basically said though was "we will have a good window" Turns out it was average, saved by a ringer, but didn't damage us in terms of coping with PL and a long run in the EL.
Hopefully fans will calm down a bit as well and not assume every rumour is a genuine target and we messed up not signing them.

tbf, you can say it didn't damage us, but who's to say where we would have finished with 1 or 2 quality additions in the last window compared to what we got? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but with better options off the bench at the start of the season, we'd almost certainly have had enough in the bank for another 5+ points which would have had us pushing for CL football.

I do agree, though. Jeff needs to keep his mouth shut. Difficult in this day and age when everyone is pushing for content/news etc.

Or people could just take his words with a pinch of salt rather than taking them as a guarantee and getting overly upset by it? :D

There will be exceptions (Chelsea/Villa/Everton) but I don't think that there will be much movement at all in this window. I just can't see clubs spending big on anyone right now.

As for us, I think we'll probably sign 1 or 2 (first team) players. Of those we've actually been linked with João Palhinha & Paulinho seem the most likely for obvious reasons. They seem like they'd fit well and wouldn't need much time to adjust. Physically they'd both be able to play Premier League football straight away, Palhinha can play multiple positions which we know Nuno likes and Paulinho would be able to provide competition for Raúl.

If we had qualified for Europe I could have seen us moving for someone like Jesús Corona or João Cancelo but I think that level of player would be a little beyond us now.

Not inconceivable that we don't sign anyone at all.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

tbf, you can say it didn't damage us, but who's to say where we would have finished with 1 or 2 quality additions in the last window compared to what we got? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but with better options off the bench at the start of the season, we'd almost certainly have had enough in the bank for another 5+ points which would have had us pushing for CL football.

Nothing is certain in football is it. So we could have signed Dias and then he did his cruciate on game 1.

A few years back we were all delighted when we splashed out £6.5m on a defender from Blues and £5m on a midfielder from Spurs.....the next step was taken and we were upgrading. Worked out well did that so intead of playing could have done this or that, we did what actually happened and whilst annoying the 7th place this time around doesn't come with EL, we did ok despite signing a striker that didnt really want to be here, a defender that was praised beyond belief in Germany but looked like he had rarely played football when he played for us and a kid and his mate who were only coming here to help Uncle Jorge move some money around.

Whilst I say Jeff needs to keep quieter, compared to other owners/CEO's etc we have had if he says something I am more inclined to think that even though it didn't happen there was solid hard work behind the scenes to try and make it happen rather than just hot air to keep Social Media fans happy for 5 minutes

We're talking about football fans here...

True!

I'm not expecting us to spend shitloads but we obviously do have some money from the Cavaleiro and Costa sales as well as no loans becoming permanents this summer (like Donck and Raul last summer - which may have taken up a fair bit of the budget). I think a couple of our standard £15-20m signings could happen though. Think main area will be centre back anyway.

Tbh I'm not going to go back and check but I'm pretty sure similar conversations and sentiments would've been had about this time (well, in terms of how close we are to the end of the season, anyway) last year, e.g. the teams above us can't possibly be this bad again, we have to improve massively to catch them, etc etc. Didn't happen.

Not saying that it won't happen this time around, but I don't think we're a million miles away from the teams that finished above us (at least, excluding the top 2)

Liverpool - Klopp built that team over 3-4 years, spent a couple world record transfer fees to do it (albeit funded by maximising Coutinho's value then cashing in on him). Doesn't seem likely they're going to change things up all that much.

City - Been spending stupid money for more than a decade now. Fundamentally they probably won't be too different than the last couple seasons, Ake will be an upgrade on someone like Otamendi, Torres probably won't play much at first. They're probably presuming Foden can take David Silva's place which might not be all that out there.

Man U - definitely improved the 2nd half of the season but still feels like they're massively overhyped. Have an issue with De Gea and they are still not the finished article defensively

Chelsea - as evidenced numerous times similar to Man U defensively they are a bit of a mess, have a bad situation with their 1st choice keeper, and seem intent on splashing money on attacking players instead. Also doesn't bode too well for Lampard as a tactician if he can be caught out by teams lumping the ball over the top of his backline

Leicester - started out well but faded horrendously 2nd half of the season. Personally always thought they were flat-track bullies and their results against the top teams bear this out IMO (they beat Spurs and Arsenal in the 1st half of the season when both were in shambles, otherwise got a point against Arsenal and drew twice against Chelsea)

Spurs - bit difficult to say. Jose seems to have started getting results out of them but remains to be seen how good that team actually is - CM is a mess, their record signing seems to be at loggerheads with the manager, and their star striker cannot stay healthy. They might graft their way up a bit next year but they're not going to be blow anyone away.

Arsenal - have a struggle on to keep their best player, their best CM is on loan, and defensively they still need re-jigging. As much as they had some impressive results they also managed to lose to Villa, so swings and roundabouts.

Nuno always, always stresses improvement of the team, and that focuses on the players we already have. If the core stays together then I think there is room for us to improve - not shipping the first goal was an obvious issue that we managed to fix, eventually. The most pressing thing at the moment seems to be our attacking play and not scoring enough, if we can have similar results at that end then we should pick up more points and should (!) be amongst that group again.

I think the top four will be the same. United seem on the right track and will keep spending as they can still afford to, and Chelsea have bought two fantastic attacking players with another seemingly close to joining. Will buy a goalkeeper and a left back at least too I think.

The rest is up for grabs IMO. We are the most consistent out of us, Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs.

Chelsea's problem isn't solved by more attacking players though. United's problems have been masked by a good run - lose Fernandes and they will struggle massively. They also still have a crap dodgy manager.

They both have obvious flaws but I still think there is a gap between them and the next set of teams. But with no Europe - maybe we will close that gap, especially when you consider how slowly we started last season.

It's also hard to predict because of how tight the schedule is going to be anyway, could get some surprising results anyway

I think the top four will be the same. United seem on the right track and will keep spending as they can still afford to, and Chelsea have bought two fantastic attacking players with another seemingly close to joining. Will buy a goalkeeper and a left back at least too I think.

The rest is up for grabs IMO. We are the most consistent out of us, Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs.

Chelsea will be fine. Frank has done way better than I thought and I think way better than Chelsea thought he would. A couple of spells where they drifted away but with a fairly young team and the worlds most expensive Andy Lonergan impersonator in goal that is to be expeced.

On Utd, I think they will have a similar issue to us and that is the quality of their back up. If they lose Bruno or Pogba for a spell that could properly fook them as their midfield back up is pretty poor. Ridiculous how there season turned just on the arrival of Bruno

I think if we can get that centre back upgrade, and ideally a bit more creativity either at rwb or midfield when we play 3-5-2, we should be in line for a really good season. Ruben Neves has really stepped up to be a consistently excellent player, and our attacking options with Traore, Podence and Neto have improved massively from last season.

We’re a bloody good side, just need some of the small (but big impact) errors to be ironed out, and ideally get a better deal from VAR, because those moments have really hit us this year

The Jota goal at Palace was the season turner (a loss there and things start to look a bit grim).

After that game our record was: P32 W15 D10 L7. 55 points, extrapolates to 65 points over a full season. Our 16 from 9 games after the restart extrapolates to 67.

We don't need major surgery.

The most important thing for us will obviously be keeping our best players. On that front I'm not worried at all. Only one I could see is if someone spent an insane amount on Adama. The others will simply be valued way too high for any club to justify blowing the majority of their budget on.

Just a couple of upgrades and maybe a little freshening up. Nuno will know if a player is getting a bit comfy and move them on and avoid the overstays we had when Mick was here. Nuno is fiercely loyal to his squad but also pretty ruthless

The Jota goal at Palace was the season turner (a loss there and things start to look a bit grim).

After that game our record was: P32 W15 D10 L7. 55 points, extrapolates to 65 points over a full season. Our 16 from 9 games after the restart extrapolates to 67.

As much as i agree, this was the sentiments of the forum after we loaned O’Hara and our PPG was much better in that back end of the season.

Doesn’t always work out like that.

The most important thing for us will obviously be keeping our best players. On that front I'm not worried at all. Only one I could see is if someone spent an insane amount on Adama. The others will simply be valued way too high for any club to justify blowing the majority of their budget on.

I’m only really worried about Neves and Jiminez tbh - I love Adama and think he is a seriously special player with room to improve, but he’s replaceable in a different way with one of our other three (I still don’t want us to sell him as I want to see if he can keep improving and be even better), but the other two would be really hard to replace given how important they are to the way we play.

I think we need more attacking contributions from LWB.

2 goals and 3 assists in the PL over 38 games isn't enough for a position which has the objective of supporting the attack

As much as i agree, this was the sentiments of the forum after we loaned O’Hara and our PPG was much better in that back end of the season.

Doesn’t always work out like that.

If you look at our two seasons in the Premier League under Nuno though, we've been very consistent and gradually improved during the course of each season. Even with a relatively poor transfer window season last summer, we still grew as a team. I think we can improve by a bigger margin this season points wise personally too

I think we need more attacking contributions from LWB.

2 goals and 3 assists in the PL over 38 games isn't enough for a position which has the objective of supporting the attack

By the same token, way too many crosses still come in from Doherty's side and he still makes defensive errors so it depends what you like. Both wing backs are good but both have their flaws.

Back