• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Raul's value to Wolves is much more than his potential transfer value. Three years could start to turn his massive Mexican following into a genuine Wolves and Raul following. Bringing in another highly popular Mexican player within that time would help. The stream of money coming from such a huge following would eventually dwarf any transfer fee received for Raul this year.

It surely makes business sense to make sure Raul is here for at least the next three years. From Fosun's point of view, selling Raul for a quick profit would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Does anyone have any figures regarding how much the Mexican support is and could be worth? Presumably other clubs have been in similar situation with players from other countries. Whilst it is nice to think our fan base is growing rapidly in Mexico and in the US is it really worth that much?

Does anyone have any figures regarding how much the Mexican support is and could be worth? Presumably other clubs have been in similar situation with players from other countries. Whilst it is nice to think our fan base is growing rapidly in Mexico and in the US is it really worth that much?
It'll be worth more to adidas, or counterfeiters maybe.

It'll be worth more to adidas, or counterfeiters maybe.

No doubt, but how much is it worth to us? Is it really significant when compared to talk of transfer fees of £70m? I suspect not but would love to hear from someone who has some facts.

No doubt, but how much is it worth to us? Is it really significant when compared to talk of transfer fees of £70m? I suspect not but would love to hear from someone who has some facts.

But he’s worth over £70m in footballing merit alone. Why are people desperate to “cash in” on him. Stupid on so many levels, with footballing being the main one, but commercial also whether that be £1m or £30m.

I've yet to see anyone desperate to 'cash in' on him.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Tim Spiers certainly is. He literally can't wait for one of Nuno/Raúl/Neves etc to leave.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I’m seeing a lot of people trying to justify selling him for £80m. “His value won’t be higher”, “only going to lose value from here”, “doubling your money on a 29 year old is great business” “FFP”, “we can sign 2 players for that money”.

Some of those points may be true, but it misses the big point that you don’t have Raúl Jiménez. No realistic level of cash replaces what he brings.

I think like many others have said, the only reason I would allow him to leave (and think this will be the club's approach) is if he agitates for a move.

He seems pretty happy to me, and I'm not sure he'd want to jeopardise such a good thing he has going here.

Fuck me when did he turn into Lewandowski?

He's a good player, no doubt about it, but he's by no means irreplaceable, very few are in this game. He's been brilliant for Wolves these last couple of years but he was a nobody when he turned up, there was a good chunk of people on this site who were convinced he was just a place holder until some proper big gun arrived later that summer. Why is it now inconceivable that another obscure gem could be found to replace him?

It's not inconceivable, but it's a big risk. We spent £16m on a centre forward last Summer who was gone in 6 months. Plus it's not our money.

In the latest annual report, Wolves stated revenues of around 36 million from Sponsorship, Advertising & Commercial. Man Utd reported 273 million in revenue for the same items. Liverpool reported 188 million. Liverpool only made 18 million directly from outside the UK. All sponsorships will be treated as UK revenue even when it is targetted overseas. Their main shirt sponsor, Standard Chartered, doesn't even have a branch in the UK. Their big markets are in Asia. They are believed to have paid more than 30 million a year.

If Wolves are to compete at the top level for a decent length of time, a big increase in Sponsorship, Advertising & Commercial revenue is going to be needed. I woud imagine Fosun are mainly targeting China but I suspect that it will be difficult to grow revenue there until Wolves is as well known as the "Big 6" unless Wolves can find a chinese Raul Jimenez.

The next set of Wolves accounts may give some clue as to how the Sponsorship, Advertising & Commercial revenue is being grown.

In the latest annual report, Wolves stated revenues of around 36 million from Sponsorship, Advertising & Commercial. Man Utd reported 273 million in revenue for the same items. Liverpool reported 188 million. Liverpool only made 18 million directly from outside the UK. All sponsorships will be treated as UK revenue even when it is targetted overseas. Their main shirt sponsor, Standard Chartered, doesn't even have a branch in the UK. Their big markets are in Asia. They are believed to have paid more than 30 million a year.

If Wolves are to compete at the top level for a decent length of time, a big increase in Sponsorship, Advertising & Commercial revenue is going to be needed. I woud imagine Fosun are mainly targeting China but I suspect that it will be difficult to grow revenue there until Wolves is as well known as the "Big 6" unless Wolves can find a chinese Raul Jimenez.

The next set of Wolves accounts may give some clue as to how the Sponsorship, Advertising & Commercial revenue is being grown.

That well known Chinese centre forward Go Wuul Fee

thanks for linking it,I have cyber on ignore just so I don't have to read his superstitious nonsense,that's just confirmed I made the right choice

Not posted since before the lockdown and honestly can say I have enjoyed the break, the only thing I will add on this is the comments about his age. 33 year old Jamie Vardy and 31 year old Patrick Abuameyang just contested the Golden boot, both players that rely on their pace too for their style. Similar thing in Italy where a 30 year old won the golden boot.

People need to reevaluate this idea that a player is old at 30, and will just completely drop off. With advances in sports science, nutrition and lifestyle this is no longer the case it would appear.

Not posted since before the lockdown and honestly can say I have enjoyed the break, the only thing I will add on this is the comments about his age. 33 year old Jamie Vardy and 31 year old Patrick Abuameyang just contested the Golden boot, both players that rely on their pace too for their style. Similar thing in Italy where a 30 year old won the golden boot.

People need to reevaluate this idea that a player is old at 30, and will just completely drop off. With advances in sports science, nutrition and lifestyle this is no longer the case it would appear.

Nearly 32 year old Lewandowski in the form of his life.

In La Liga 5 of the top 6 scorers well into their 30s. Messi 33, Benzema 32, Suárez 33, Raul Garcia 34, Iago Aspas 32.

Back