• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Fosun talk about value, or rather Jeff does. If we get an offer significantly north of the 'value' we have on a player we will consider it. Value isn't just money though, things like 'how hard will he be to replace' and 'what will our squad look like in 2 years, does he have a role?'. These are all things we'll consider, it's why Costa, Cav, Douglas, Bennett have been or will be moved on.

Jeff / Fosun plan beyond the next transfer window and have a strategy they're working towards

Fosun talk about value, or rather Jeff does. If we get an offer significantly north of the 'value' we have on a player we will consider it. Value isn't just money though, things like 'how hard will he be to replace' and 'what will our squad look like in 2 years, does he have a role?'. These are all things we'll consider, it's why Costa, Cav, Douglas, Bennett have been or will be moved on.

Jeff / Fosun plan beyond the next transfer window and have a strategy they're working towards
Agreed, Fosun haven't sold one player which has weakened the first 11 thus far. Not saying they never will, but it's an added element to the value argument

Raul's value will fall rapidly over the next two years, how much is guesswork but I'd be amazed if anyone would pay more than £15m for a 31 year old, and he could see his contract out and leave for nothing. Though he wouldn't be easy to replace Nuno's record in the transfer market suggests the chances are good. He could get injured or loose form, particularly if he has to play another season without any real break, so I'd seriously consider selling if £70m was offered.

I’m not advocating selling him, but if someone comes in for 70-80m it’s going to be a top top club. Realistically he will want to go and we will get enough money for it to make sense.

I can only see Utd doing it though and I’d hate to sell to them.

Raul's value will fall rapidly over the next two years, how much is guesswork but I'd be amazed if anyone would pay more than £15m for a 31 year old, and he could see his contract out and leave for nothing. Though he wouldn't be easy to replace Nuno's record in the transfer market suggests the chances are good. He could get injured or loose form, particularly if he has to play another season without any real break, so I'd seriously consider selling if £70m was offered.

His value will fall, but he’s still going to be very useful. We’d Still all take a nearly 34 year old Giroud, Raul is no different.

Let’s say he was to stay and leave for free in 3 years (it literally isn’t going to happen but it’s worst case, we either sell him because we don’t want him, give him a new deal or sell him before then). Whats more valuable to Wolves? Raul for 3 years or £80m. I think It’s Raul.

Obviously if he angles for a move then you’ve got to take the cash and move on.

Obviously if he angles for a move then you’ve got to take the cash and move on.

The only way he leaves this summer for me. We won't entertain bids for him and may knock back a couple and I don't think any club will offer the kind of money that would make Jeff think he has to take it. So it will be down to Raul himself.

Hope so.

Say it was 80m and a top club, I think they would be asking him first, tell us how you feel about the next couple of years and this offer, because they would already be set to decline it if he's happy like. Might be really naive to think that but he is worth a lot to us.

The figure is largely irrelevant, but Chelsea paid £15m for a 31 year old Giroud,who Arsenal were actively trying to get rid of, 2.5 years ago (massive market inflation since), a player who doesn’t score as many goals or offer the same marketing opportunities.

Fosun are an investment company, but my point is exactly that selling him is not good financial business. If you could guarantee selling Raul for £80m and signing an exact copy for £40m then great, but it rarely works like that.

What’s better, £80m in the bank and half of it spent on Patrick Cutrone x2. Or Raul for 2-4 seasons. It’s a no brainer.
Tbf i would habe paid the double of that for Giroud

Tbf i would habe paid the double of that for Giroud

Well yeah. He had 6 months to run on his deal, wasn’t wanted, 31, not prolific and all the other thing I mentioned, and they still got £15m

I find it utterly bizarre that people think Raul is literally going to be worthless in 2 years time...

He’s not the sort of player where age is really going to affect him. Jamie Vardy is that sort of player who will be affected by age and he’s still banging them in at 33!

Saying £10-15m at 31 is laughable (even Ignoring market inflation from 2018-> 2020 and 2020-> 2022). Is he going to be worth £80m, no. But he’s not going to be on the scrap heap at 31!

Impossible to know how Raul is going to age. Spent 27 years being driven by one careful lady owner, then 2 by a countrywide travelling sales rep.

Some seriously short term thinking here. Raúl has a 3 year contract. Think about how much money we'd make by keeping him for those 3 years, literally the peak of his career.

Not that it should be about money at all anyway. From a purely footballing perspective it makes no sense to accept a bid at this stage. He's perfect for us.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

agreed - the only way I’d sell Raul is if he wanted to leave. Top man and perfect for the way we play.

Reports in Mexico have said today “Raúl is happy in Wolverhampton” amid interest from some big European clubs. [via Record]

This is going to be tedious.

Reports in Mexico have said today “Raúl is happy in Wolverhampton” amid interest from some big European clubs. [via Record]

This is going to be tedious.

Aye but I guess our players being linked with the top teams is better than us being constantly linked with utter shite. A new kind of tedious

I won't be shocked if Raul is still here in October, but I will be surprised. Just a gut feeling.

In my mind Raul is the difference between making a mark next year, maybe pushing top 4, and being just off the race. If he went whoever comes in would have to get up to speed with the way we play (look how long it took Traore, Dendoncker and Podence to break into the team). We know Fosun's original timescales was over a few more years than where we are now. They're not going to throw away an early bonanza when we're on the cusp of it unless a silly offer came in and quite honestly what club could a) afford it, and b) want to become a political animal in these times.

Raul's value to Wolves is much more than his potential transfer value. Three years could start to turn his massive Mexican following into a genuine Wolves and Raul following. Bringing in another highly popular Mexican player within that time would help. The stream of money coming from such a huge following would eventually dwarf any transfer fee received for Raul this year.

It surely makes business sense to make sure Raul is here for at least the next three years. From Fosun's point of view, selling Raul for a quick profit would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

You may just as well quote some random 12 year old on the internet as the Express.

Raul is not going to Man United. Fosun simply would not sell to a direct rival.
Juventus, maybe. Man United? Elvis is more likely to ride into town on Shergar

Back