• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

We've been a top six performing team since last January, based on xG models! I think that's why it's a little frustrating as a couple of key improvements to the team could really cement that. We've underperformed those models slightly which is a mixture of bad luck and a lack of quality in attack in some instances but we really haven't been too far away in general. I worry this year we might slip slightly without the right signings though.

We've been a top six performing team since last January, based on xG models! I think that's why it's a little frustrating as a couple of key improvements to the team could really cement that. We've underperformed those models slightly which is a mixture of bad luck and a lack of quality in attack in some instances but we really haven't been too far away in general. I worry this year we might slip slightly without the right signings though.

A worry for me is that our xG fell away so much towards the end of the season. Take away the penalty and our xG against both Chelsea and Sevilla was around 0.25. Certainly on the last day of the season our xG was the lowest of any team in the PL. In many ways that is why I am so desperate for signings - this coming season could see us really cement our place at the top, or we could be 12th/13th

A worry for me is that our xG fell away so much towards the end of the season. Take away the penalty and our xG against both Chelsea and Sevilla was around 0.25. Certainly on the last day of the season our xG was the lowest of any team in the PL. In many ways that is why I am so desperate for signings - this coming season could see us really cement our place at the top, or we could be 12th/13th

our 'xG for' did slip yes, though that is a very small sample size. Understand those concerns. It's been an area we can improve on in general under Nuno but in the long run, I think we are OK in that aspect. Where we thrive is 'xG against' - we just don't give away many good chances.

It will be interesting if we eventually have a lucky streak at some point (like Leicester did first half of last season), as we've never really had that under Nuno where we overperform, we've generally been about par or slightly under, so I think that is quite promising tbh.

Suspect Matheson would have been in there if he wasn't injured. Probably tried to nutmeg Willy Boly...

Do you think we won't sign anyone?

I didn't say that. I don't think we'll be signing 3-4 first team players.

The way things are going, I reckon we'll be lucky with 2 x solid first team additions. A RWB (clearly) and potentially a midfielder. After that I reckon we'll be looking at cheaper, younger, higher potential players again. They could go the Neto way or they could go the Vallejo way.

Jeff will no doubt say he did "everything he could" and it will be left with Nuno to work his magic again.

That's just my take on it. I'm absolutely astounded we haven't signed anyone of note yet, but that's my personal opinion.

Good to see Shabani training with the first team, I'd like to see more of him this season, was unlucky with his injury last year

Would Marques not be in there or is he injured?

He may well be in there just wasn't pictured! You would expect him to be there, same with Otasowie unless they are injured or being prioritised for U23 games to get some match fitness.

Good to see Shabani training with the first team, I'd like to see more of him this season, was unlucky with his injury last year

Yeah that was a shame, he arrived with a decent reputation

The way things are going, I reckon we'll be lucky with 2 x solid first team additions. A RWB (clearly) and potentially a midfielder. After that I reckon we'll be looking at cheaper, younger, higher potential players again. They could go the Neto way or they could go the Vallejo way.

Jeff will no doubt say he did "everything he could" and it will be left with Nuno to work his magic again.

That's just my take on it. I'm absolutely astounded we haven't signed anyone of note yet, but that's my personal opinion.
I think we'll sign 4 genuine first team squad players, hopefully at least 2 of those will be first 11. My rationale for this is they don't, Nuno, Neves and Raul will say to Jorge 'I've outgrown this club, get me out of here'. It might come late, we might over pay, but I think we will.

I agree with all of that, apart from the 'yet'. I'd rather we took our time than rush signed some shite.

I do think we live in a bit of a bubble sometimes and it leads to assuming that we're doing worse than other clubs.

For instance I've seen a few comments about how "Everton have improved". Er, have they? They haven't signed anyone, plus they were MILES worse than us last season. We should have beaten them 6-0 down here. Sure, there's plenty of noise around them signing Allan, James and Doucouré (all of whom are evidently available for one reason or another), but none of them are on board as yet. They might sign the lot in the end, but they haven't bought them.

We get linked with players all the time, maybe other fans are thinking "Wolves are after Ghoulam, he's a good player, we should be in there". Of course there may or may not be anything at all in it.

I don't want to put too much stock in journo chatter, but even if Everton haven't actually bought much to improve them yet, we know full well what they're aiming for, and where each of the deals is currently stood, and we can see their intentions from there.

For us, we've moved on several squad members, and the only concrete news we've had of players being pursued is AMN, who we lost out on because we dragged our feet and he got the chance to cement himself in the club's plans. There's very plainly a difference there.

It's not like our big signings don't get reported on ahead of time, either- in the past few years, we've heard about Neves, Boly, Patricio, Moutinho, Raul, Dendoncker and Cutrone well ahead of the deal being completed, with the only major exceptions tending to be complete bolts from the blue like the Neto and Jordao deal. The lack of deals being done at this point is concerning, but the lack of concrete rumours is just as concerning, personally.

very highly rated isn't he? Can't see it being true though
He's magic. Really fast and skilful, loves to dribble out from the back, break the lines and join attacks.

I'll wait until a few more sources start reporting it before I get excited though...

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Back