• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Fair enough.

What if we sold two of the three forwards currently on our bench (as we have not that much use for them, certainly Adama and Helder) and that more than covered the fee though?

I probably wouldn't say no, but that's probably going to be easier said than done- it's not like anyone's going to be champing at the bit for either of them.

We probably wouldn't be able to leave it at Rondon either- we'd need more cover, seeing how wafer-thin our squad is. Trading two players for one probably isn't going to cut it.

The thing is Helder hardly ever plays at all any more - since Palace at home in January (his last start), he's had one league appearance of more than 20 minutes, and was totally unused in our last five games - whereas most of Traore's football in the last three months has come in this ersatz RWB role (where he still looks shit). Very rare that he's brought on to play as a forward now.

You're not really losing anything from either of them when we consider our frontline, assuming we don't switch back to 3-4-3 (Traore can't play in that system either to any particular effect, he is a winger in a 4-4-2, which we will never play).

On the flipside of some of the previous points, I think we might struggle to find a player as good or better than Raul who would be content with challenging for a starting spot - we wouldn't be able to offer any guarantees in that regard. It will probably scare off more than you might think, especially when we've just dropped £30m odd on Raul - everyone will know we've not done that to potentially bench him if a newer flashier model comes along a couple months later.

If we make Europa and have a couple half decent cup runs we're probably looking at upwards of 50 games next season - there will be plenty to go around for a 'bench' option if we want to keep people fresh.

Only thing I would say is obvs Rondon is Venezuelan so from a POV of trying to cover for Raul when he's jetlagged it might not work that well..

The question for me is would he improve our squad, I believe the answer to that is yes. We aren't going to upgrade on Raul next season nor should we, he is certainly nowhere near our weakest link. Our problem is that if Raul gets injured literally no-one we have in the squad can even partially fill his boots meaning we might have to switch formation. Rondon also has different characteristics meaning in some games (thinking about the sides lower down) you might have to be a little more direct or hit the flanks and whip the crosses in.

Would be a good signing IMO.

I've seen the Diogo at #10 idea mooted a few times lately and I don't really buy it. He isn't a creative player in that sense. He wouldn't look rubbish or anything, but it wouldn't get anywhere near the best out of him.

I think it's something that could provide an alternative threat when facing more defensive minded teams. On occasion this season it's looked like there's a wasted man when faced with a deep opposition, none of the midfielders ever getting beyond forwards and Neves often coming very deep resulted in a lot of safe football played in front of those opponents, if faced with that situation and you had an option like Rondon on the bench then you could bring him on for say Neves then you'd have an extra option to be more direct as well as having the ability for Jota to run at them from deeper positions whilst the front two occupied defenders. I don't imagine him suddenly turning into Ozil or Eriksen sliding little passes through left, right and centre or pinging stuff top corner for fun like Coutinho in his Liverpool days but it would shake things up a bit and provide an extra level of threat, he's good at picking up those pockets of space and driving forward with the ball as it is but given an extra player ahead of him then it's even more difficult for defenders to pick him up in those areas.

As for Rondon, I think he's a player that could do a decent job. He could fill in for Jimenez as a focal point, albeit a less mobile one, play alongside him instead of Jota if you felt a more physical front line was the way to go for a particular game or even make it an alternate take on the old front three as per the above. I think the quoted release fee would make it just about reasonable value, a few million quid lower or a few years younger and it would be an absolute no brainer, as it stands I'd say it just about makes sense as a sticking plaster for a couple of seasons as long as there is more long term improvement bought in elsewhere.

I'd take Rondon at that price. Offers something different and has proven he can score goals at this level. Might thrive in our system too. He's one of those players that always seems to cause us problems when we come up against him, too.

As DW points out, he is 1 shy of 40 goals in 4 seasons, generally playing for wank clubs who play direct, long, shite football. Those kinds of figures alone should be enough to get him a move to a club like us.

I wouldn’t take him - he’s great if you play “lump it into the box and fight for it” football, but we don’t play that way. Raul can hold it up and win the ball in the air, but he also runs in behind, and goes down the wing - Rondón can’t do that.

We need to find a second choice striker that fits our system, not crowbar a big lump in.

Rondon , good option to have over a long season which enables Raul to have the required breaks to retain his freshness.

Rondon , good option to have over a long season which enables Raul to have the required breaks to retain his freshness.

Especially post international breaks where he's looked particularly sapped on return.

People are forgetting it’s a squad game. I’ve said it before but we aren’t in the same position of other teams looking for small upgrades to their team. We have made such a large jump we are in a situation where we literally have 12 first team players fit for purpose.

Rondón (or whoever) isn’t going to come in and “sit on the bench”. He’s going to start 20 games at least (even if we suffer zero injuries) and appear in every other one. We are going to struggle to improve the first 11 as the players in it are very good. But at the moment anytime we make a sub we decrease our chance of winning the game. Now we get by at the minute, but with potentially 12+ games next year, we need more players.

Especially post international breaks where he's looked particularly sapped on return.

As The Bion points out though, Rondon actually travels further... (unless he gives up on international football I suppose, Venezuela are never qualifying for the World Cup)

People are forgetting it’s a squad game. I’ve said it before but we aren’t in the same position of other teams looking for small upgrades to their team. We have made such a large jump we are in a situation where we literally have 12 first team players fit for purpose.

Rondón (or whoever) isn’t going to come in and “sit on the bench”. He’s going to start 20 games at least (even if we suffer zero injuries) and appear in every other one. We are going to struggle to improve the first 11 as the players in it are very good. But at the moment anytime we make a sub we decrease our chance of winning the game. Now we get by at the minute, but with potentially 12+ games next year, we need more players.
I wouldn't have thought a backup forward would start anything like that many games, closer to half that.

I wouldn't have thought a backup forward would start anything like that many games, closer to half that.

If City win... 6 EL qualifiers +/- 6 group stage games.

2 or 3 games per cup competition. Nearly at 20 already.

If we play two forwards and he is the undisputed third choice, with two cups, potentially europe he will get a fair amount of games. Diogo picks up a lot of bookings and we are unlikely to have as much luck with injuries as this season. Plus, if the back up player is not vastly inferior to the first choice ones it will be a lot easier for nuno to rest the latter when needed.

Wolves are plotting a move to sign highly rated Reading youngster Danny Loader.

The 18-year-old is regarded as one of the best young talents in the country after impressing for Reading this season and for England at various youth levels. [Pete O’Rouke]
It’s going to be a long old summer.

Loader would be a good signing and would go along with what Jeff was saying about the academy in his post season vid.

The most important thing Jeff said was squad strengthening comes before ground improvement. I expect us to be busy.

If City win... 6 EL qualifiers +/- 6 group stage games.

2 or 3 games per cup competition. Nearly at 20 already.
Think there's only the early domestic cup games he'd be guaranteed to start, perhaps mix and match for the early EL games and treat it a bit like preseason depending who needs the minutes or the rest, wouldn't expect him to start the group games as you'd think the club would take it seriously and go full strength where possible.

10-15 through the season, without injuries, more likely for me.

My Albion mates never rated Rondon one bit. Looking at his stats he's done pretty well since then tbf

Think there's only the early domestic cup games he'd be guaranteed to start, perhaps mix and match for the early EL games and treat it a bit like preseason depending who needs the minutes or the rest, wouldn't expect him to start the group games as you'd think the club would take it seriously and go full strength where possible.

10-15 through the season, without injuries, more likely for me.

15 and 20 aren’t a million miles away from each other are they. They (whoever that is) would definitely start more than Zero PL games so I’m going to stick to my 20.

Pretty pointless discussion but I’m bored. Sunderland Pompey is shit.

Back