• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

I like Rondon too, but I'd be concerned that he's 30 in September.
If he's in good shape, and looks after himself, having a few seasons as part of a forward team, as opposed to being a main striker might extend his career, a la sheringham. Whether he'd want that remains to be seen.
He's slightly different in style to Raul, which is something we need.

Is Paul Edwards still the last player to move between us and Albion?

I like Rondon too, but I'd be concerned that he's 30 in September.

Doesn't concern me - he's hardly a pensioner.

Yep. And Paskin is the last player we signed off them (they also had Tony Lange off us after that).

Looking at those three players, it makes sense that we called it a day mutually.

I'd rather be spending the thick end of £20m on the next Jota than a decent 30 year old striker like Rondon.

Proven PL striker at £16.5m that gives us something slightly different from the rest?

I'll take that.

Which part of a Rondom deal moves us up a level. He's a good/average PL player turning 30.
I know in reality we'll do well to repeat the achievement of this season but thats the stated aims
Is he top six material? No. I think some of the current stars will be under pressure not a shit load of filler brought in.

We currently have absolutely no alternative to Raul, unless we're counting Leo being as he's back or Ennis who has played about half an hour of first team football. Cav is the nearest approximation to a striker but you would not want him starting games there. Traore is awful in that role and Costa isn't even an option.

I’d say he’s better than Llorente and Origi ( or certainly not much worse) and they’ll both likely play some part in a CL final.

He breaks my rule that we shouldn't buy players who are worse than the ones we currently have.

He's demonstrably not as good as Jota and Jimenez, and that's a lot to spend for someone to sit on the bench.

Is it really though these days? I know we're all knocking on a bit now and £16.5m always sounds like an astronomical sum, but it isn't really in the current market. Huddersfield paid £11.5m for Mounié two years ago and he is utter wank. Rondon has 9, 8, 7 and 10 goals in his four PL seasons which given the absolute state of the Pulis teams he played in, really isn't bad at all.

We paid £18m for Adama and he serves very little purpose at all.

Yeah - and similarly, while my initial reaction was "eh, he's not that great," he'd be a better third-choice striker than Cavaleiro, Costa, or Traore have managed this season. Feels about the price you'd want to be paying for a mid-to-top half sub these days.

I'd take Rondon at that price. Offers something different and has proven he can score goals at this level. Might thrive in our system too. He's one of those players that always seems to cause us problems when we come up against him, too.

As DW points out, he is 1 shy of 40 goals in 4 seasons, generally playing for wank clubs who play direct, long, shite football. Those kinds of figures alone should be enough to get him a move to a club like us.

He has scored a very respectable total this season. If we had him in the lineup as well as Raul and Diogo and they replicated this season that is over 40 goals just from those three, before considering the fact that Diogo got his goals in about 18 games and you would back him to increase his total a decent amount.

I just don't think we're at the point where we should be spending that much money on a signing that wouldn't make us stronger yet. I'd rather see us spend a bit more or get a loan deal for someone who might actually challenge Jota or Jimenez, rather than someone who's going to warm the bench for most matches. I don't think £16.5m for Rondon's a bad deal in isolation, I just don't think that, in the context of what we're going to be looking to do this summer, it's the right deal for us.

Adama's shit, and in hindsight we absolutely should not have spent that money on him.

I just don't think we're at the point where we should be spending that much money on a signing that wouldn't make us stronger yet. I'd rather see us spend a bit more or get a loan deal for someone who might actually challenge Jota or Jimenez, rather than someone who's going to warm the bench for most matches. I don't think £16.5m for Rondon's a bad deal in isolation, I just don't think that, in the context of what we're going to be looking to do this summer, it's the right deal for us.

Adama's shit, and in hindsight we absolutely should not have spent that money on him.

Fair enough.

What if we sold two of the three forwards currently on our bench (as we have not that much use for them, certainly Adama and Helder) and that more than covered the fee though?

How about playing all three?

Rondon and Jiminez right up front with Diogo floating around just behind being an absolute menace?

I've seen the Diogo at #10 idea mooted a few times lately and I don't really buy it. He isn't a creative player in that sense. He wouldn't look rubbish or anything, but it wouldn't get anywhere near the best out of him.

In that case we would have to look at 3-4-3 again I guess. Certainly against the weaker sides that we struggled to break down last season. Plus Rondon is very decent in the air. It is a good second string to the bow at a really decent price. I see plenty of positives with it as a signing possibility

Back