• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

How has our midfield been flat?
I think he's talking shape rather than performance, though I'd disagree as it usually appears Neves playing deeper than the other two.

Think that would be the easiest way to try and be more ambitious against the more defensive teams, where Neves being deep is often a complete waste, flip that midfield triangle to put someone in the #10 position. Only issue there is that I think Neves is the obvious one to leave out of the team for that more attacking player as a result of the switch and I can't see that being a decision that's likely to be made.

I think he's talking shape rather than performance, though I'd disagree as it usually appears Neves playing deeper than the other two.

It hasn’t been flat in either respect. Neves has sat deeper for the most part but Dendoncker often supplements the attack with Neves naturally moving forward alongside Moutinho. Donck needs space to be effective though with late runs, he’s not going to unlock a packed defence. That’s where the change would be I reckon. Excellent options to have.

Think that would be the easiest way to try and be more ambitious against the more defensive teams, where Neves being deep is often a complete waste, flip that midfield triangle to put someone in the #10 position. Only issue there is that I think Neves is the obvious one to leave out of the team for that more attacking player as a result of the switch and I can't see that being a decision that's likely to be made.

He's obviously not talking about performance (I hope).

Tactically I feel that 2 of Neves/Moutinho/Dendoncker behind an attacking trio is the obvious progression of our offensive shape. Something like the 'magic triangle' of Rebic, Jovic & Haller at Frankfurt would be ideal. We've already got 2/3rds of it.

Moutinho isn't getting any younger. Either him or Dendoncker would make way. There would be plenty of competitions for them all to get games and rotate though.

I watched a vid the other day of Morgan Sanson who we've been heavily linked to, and he has a VERY similar all-round playing style to Joao. Albeit a bit taller and a better dribbler.

I think Moutinho is the one who'd likely rotate the most, given his age and work-rate. He can't do that for 50+ games.

I'd love Rebic here btw. Really like him.

I don't really see Moutinho playing a great deal higher than Dendoncker tbh. Neves plays the deepest of all three which I don't necessarily agree with but hey ho.

Ruben definitely is the deepest of the three in and out of possession with Joao and Donck either side of him but slightly ahead of him too

Donck is a box to box, it’s not as simple a set up as Neves sitting deep with two in front of him.

Donck plays to the right, working up and down on that side. He gets into the “half-spaces” (for want of a better word) really well down that side which is why he combines well with Doc and Raul. He also defends that side fantastically.

Moutinho doesn’t necessarily play as advanced as Leander sometimes, and drifts over slightly to get on the ball or deeper to get it from a defensive player. Defensively he still does the job to the left of the three too.

Bang on YW. Coady also refers to Neves sitting back to intercept the ball as often as possible.
There's a stat out today showing how much distance Dendoncker (and also Moutinho) travel during games. It's high, another testament to our backroom staff.

Have to say I've not noticed any of our midfield 3 setting up anything than centrally and have always thought when they go into other areas it's with the flow of the game rather than a tactical bias to either side.

435BCED0-0280-4CCF-86B3-3D190C1DEF6A.jpg

D6F4159B-EDAF-4050-9CA0-74F1DB9CA5F4.jpg

His heat maps from Fulham and Watford games. First one is against Fulham where he generally plays further forward as we played more of the game in their half. Second is Watford where he has to work up and down that side of the pitch more. But in both he is on the right majority because that’s where he plays in our system.

Fair enough, I’ll ignore my own eyes on how many times he’s popped up in front of us doing some defensive work at home games. He may predominantly cover the right hand side but you’re making him sound like he’s playing Superstar Soccer.

Moutinho tends to favour the left more too.

Fair enough, I’ll ignore my own eyes on how many times he’s popped up in front of us doing some defensive work at home games. He may predominantly cover the right hand side but you’re making him sound like he’s playing Superstar Soccer.

what a weird response to me just describing Dendoncker’s role on the right of our central midfield three, and then backing it up. :icon_lol:

Moutinho tends to favour the left more too.

He does but interestingly his heat map covered a lot more varied ground as I tried to get at (which I believe is also backed up by his running stats). It makes sense as he is so good at dictating play for us.

The public have had enough of experts!

That surprises me, do you have Moutinho ones for the same games YW?

Priority for me is an Anton Greizman style player, or better still lump all the cash in one big bag and buy the real thing.

Back