• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Sanson was was ridiculously highly rated coming out of Montpellier. Not sure how he's got on since, though.

This summer will be incredibly interesting. I do wonder if we'll recruit with 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 in mind.

Why not both? There's merit in flexibility.

Surely if we are going to push for the top 6 then we need to have players who can switch between 352 and 343 and maybe even 433

Surely if we are going to push for the top 6 then we need to have players who can switch between 352 and 343 and maybe even 433

Likely correct and I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up as being as simple as selling the worst performing wide attacker (Costa or Traore depending on who you ask...) and then bringing in a third choice striker - who is likely to be in the Tammy Abraham mould of being a striker in the first instance and capable of playing as a wide attacker in the second instance.

That leaves us with 5 attacking players, 3 or 4 of whom could play as a wide attacker (Cav, Traore/Costa, Jota and new player) and 3 out and out strikers (Jota, Raul and new player) with Cav and Traore/Costa as last resorts for the striker role in a 352 (who may have more training for the role in pre season).

I think Costa will be out the door fairly early in the transfer window,unless he really gets his mojo back,cav and traore will go January is my thinking,depends on who comes in,and whether the training sinks in and traore engages his brain and ups his game

Cav still has a bit of value as a backup, though depends who comes in as to whether it is worth holding onto him rather than getting some value back. Costa hasn't shown enough & should probably move on.

Traore is an enigma to solve - causes problems for defenders at times, but really doesn't know what he is doing (nor do his team mates either) - if Nuno still thinks that he can get more out of him then will possibly be here for another few months.

Cav and Traore have value in a 3-4-3. Cav can't really play as the foil to Raúl though and Traore can't play centrally full stop.

Traore as a wing back is an experiment but has borne some fruit so far.

Well, kind of. He did pretty well against Cardiff, but Cardiff are dreck. And he only played there for a half. He then went up front and was shit.

In a game where there were virtually no chances at either end at Burnley, he wasn't awful by any means but you'd hardly say that was compelling evidence of him being an option there.

That's all we have and I would never put him there against any team that has an actual threat down their left hand side.

Cav and Traore have value in a 3-4-3. Cav can't really play as the foil to Raúl though and Traore can't play centrally full stop.

Traore as a wing back is an experiment but has borne some fruit so far.

Cav can play that foil and he's done OK at times (if only he doesn't stand on the ball on Sunday when he rolls his foot over it...)

The difference between Traore and Vinagre when in the advanced wing back role against weaker opposition is unparalleled. We should be looking for a RWB version of Vini if we want that option.

We really don't have the midfield for 3-4-3. We have the forwards but none of our midfielders can play in a two at this level. Moutinho isn't dominant enough and Neves isn't mobile enough. But play them with a box to box player like Donck and they look top class. Why would you want to tinker with that?

If somehow we managed to get a Kante clone then we could play 3-4-3. But then that doesn't get the best out of Jota and who do you leave out from our midfield 3?

The only person that clearly has to go is Helder, he’s not shown any signs of getting his mojo back. Anyone else can be upgraded upon, it all depends on how wild the club can go with fees and wages. This season should have been a great selling point to potential signings. I’m looking forward to seeing who comes in!

Cav looks done to me too. I think he's one of those players who needs a run of games to perform fully. Bring him on for 10 mins here and there and his game doesn't look right to me. Either his passing or his end product/decision making. In an ideal world we'd upgrade on both of them this summer, but that wide forward position isn't a must at the moment.

I can't see us changing from 3-5-2 any time soon, whilst we have the same central midfield. So an AM and forward are the main priorities in attack IMO. Then a CB and any upgrades we can get across the back five. A Vinagre type RB would be nice to give Doc some cover/rest for early cup games.

A lot depends on whether we qualify for Europe as well. If we do we simply have to get a couple more in to avoid completely running the likes of Raul and Jota into the ground.

A player like Cav provides an interesting conundrum - I personally don't think he'll ever be more than a barely okay option in the top half of the league (short-ish, short on pace and hardly ridiculously skilled to make up for it). At the same time, how much would a clear upgrade cost us, taking into account the risk of settling in issues? Probably a whole lot. And how much would that player actually play? The constraints of ffp make it an absolute necessity to make the most of inexpensive known quantities to make room for the top quality players able to take us to the next level.

The same thing could be said of Doc. His overall play is not quite good enough for where we want to be going, but the one trick this pony does, he does reliably and rather effectively. It must be tempting in many ways for Nuno to gamble on sticking with him and spend the £30m or more needed for an upgrade somwhere else.

A lot depends on whether we qualify for Europe as well. If we do we simply have to get a couple more in to avoid completely running the likes of Raul and Jota into the ground.

A player like Cav provides an interesting conundrum - I personally don't think he'll ever be more than a barely okay option in the top half of the league (short-ish, short on pace and hardly ridiculously skilled to make up for it). At the same time, how much would a clear upgrade cost us, taking into account the risk of settling in issues? Probably a whole lot. And how much would that player actually play? The constraints of ffp make it an absolute necessity to make the most of inexpensive known quantities to make room for the top quality players able to take us to the next level.

The same thing could be said of Doc. His overall play is not quite good enough for where we want to be going, but the one trick this pony does, he does reliably and rather effectively. It must be tempting in many ways for Nuno to gamble on sticking with him and spend the £30m or more needed for an upgrade somwhere else.

Vinagre didn't cost 30m. What Doherty lacks is competition. A Vinagre signing for the right side would give competition and cover. A hold up striker to cover Raul is a must. It may be someone later in their career,c30 ish , last hoorah. I would not be against that if they could do the business for the 15 games a season they are required. I would keep Cav. He brings more to the table than Traore who is all raw pace and little end product. Costa is spent at this level too sadly. It may not be popular but if Neves, Traore Costa and Ruddy left for a combined 130 m and we signed the likes of Sanson and Abraham plus rwb and centre back cover whilst breaking even I would see that as excellent business. Neves deserves his shot with a mega club which we aren't yet. Ruddy deserves more than back up football. He is better than that. Traore has proven to be an enigma. Championship football beckons for him. I would be tapping Burnley up for Pope. Genuine long term competition for Rui.Bournemouth for Ake. Spurs for Trippier. On top of Sanson and Abraham. I love Neves but if we got those 5 for the money raised by selling him, Costa, Traore and Ruddy I think we have a real depth of squad.

Raul is hardly a baby at 28 ish. I would prefer any striker we signed to be more in the 22-25 bracket so they can grow with us.

And stop selling Neves. He is going nowhere unless he wants to and somebody stumps up a fee somewhere approaching what Hazard will go for. We will price the big suitors out of the market UNLESS the player wants to move.

I wouldn't bother with Ake, and no way on earth are Spurs selling Trippier to us. Pope is a possible though, but Burnley are far more likely to let Hart go then burn off one of Heaton or Pope.

Spurs want rid of Trippier, but I wouldn't want him anyway.

I don't think there's anything at all in the Sanson rumour. Just idle chatter from a shitty news aggregator with a shocking hit rate.

I don't think there's anything at all in the Sanson rumour. Just idle chatter from a shitty news aggregator with a shocking hit rate.

How's Alassane Plea getting on at Gladbach? He looked like he could work in our system when he was at Nice.

I'd like Trippier. Poch made a mistake with his concussion and I think it took him quite a while to recover. He's a cracking player on his day.

It may not be popular but if Neves, Traore Costa and Ruddy left for a combined 130 m....

If we sold these four we’d get less than 100m, probably quite a lot less. In fact if we sold them for 130m I think it would be very popular.

There'd be no price that would be popular for me to sell Neves. The only way we should entertain any offers is if he wants to leave.

You don't progress by selling your best players - a lot of the time people say things like "sell Neves for 60m thats 3 x 20m players" - except when those scenarios play out it hardly ever works out well.

Back