• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Nuno talked in his interview about he had changed last season from 3-4-3 to 3-1-4-2 to get Neves as an extra line of defence. It's how it looks to me too. I'd like to see Coady become 2-1-4-3 against the weaker teams with Coady moving further forward. That said if Jesus is a better passer and better getting forward then Bennett then I think that will make a big difference.

Agree with most of the rest of your post, but to me we look more like we're 1-3-4-2 against the more defensive teams, with coady dropping behind a 3 of bennett/neves/boly, with moutinho & donck as well as the wider players in front of them, then the front 2. When defending bennett/boly and the wide players will drop back of course.

I can see that shape in it at times, generally was just trying to emphasise Neves being the standout as the deepest midfielder rather than his standing in relation to the back three, though at times it even ends up almost like a four with him dropping between centre halves to get on the ball. Either way, it's too many bodies wasted behind the ball when teams are just sticking everyone goal side, unless you're drawing people out to press then it's never going to hurt them having so much of the ball and so many passing options in those areas.

Nuno talked in his interview about he had changed last season from 3-4-3 to 3-1-4-2 to get Neves as an extra line of defence. It's how it looks to me too. I'd like to see Coady become 2-1-4-2 against the weaker teams with Coady moving further forward. That said if Jesus is a better passer and better getting forward then Bennett then I think that will make a big difference.

You want Coady to become a ghost?

I think the idea that improving on Bennett's perceived shortcomings producing massive improvements it's often well overblown, Boly looks a lot more comfortable on the ball but generally his passing isn't that much more adventurous than the man on the other side. It's not like either of them are going to be threading the ball through into players in threatening positions with any great regularity, as long as they're tidy on the ball and keep the tempo up recycling possession they're doing enough, what will really make a difference is more passing options ahead of the ball and in between the opposition lines.

I can see that shape in it at times, generally was just trying to emphasise Neves being the standout as the deepest midfielder rather than his standing in relation to the back three, though at times it even ends up almost like a four with him dropping between centre halves to get on the ball. Either way, it's too many bodies wasted behind the ball when teams are just sticking everyone goal side, unless you're drawing people out to press then it's never going to hurt them having so much of the ball and so many passing options in those areas.

I think the idea that improving on Bennett's perceived shortcomings producing massive improvements it's often well overblown, Boly looks a lot more comfortable on the ball but generally his passing isn't that much more adventurous than the man on the other side. It's not like either of them are going to be threading the ball through into players in threatening positions with any great regularity, as long as they're tidy on the ball and keep the tempo up recycling possession they're doing enough, what will really make a difference is more passing options ahead of the ball and in between the opposition lines.

The difference between Bennett on the right and Boly on the left is the position the first choice wing backs take. There is often a ball to an in space Doherty on for Bennett which typically Jonny doesn't offer for Boly. Beano isn't capable of playing it and to be fair doesn't try but a more comfortable player on the ball possibly could.

Beano isn't capable of playing it and to be fair doesn't try but a more comfortable player on the ball possibly could.

Gnasher can sometimes pick a decent pass. He did an amazing 50 yard pass using the outside of his foot last season.

Meh, I edited that.

Bennett's pretty much the spare man, even Crusaders did it - let him have the ball with a man vaguely near him and you can guarantee a diagonal pass back to Coady, putting Coady instantly under pressure.
Gnasher can sometimes pick a decent pass. He did an amazing 50 yard pass using the outside of his foot last season.
Once.

Meh, I edited that.

Bennett's pretty much the spare man, even Crusaders did it - let him have the ball with a man vaguely near him and you can guarantee a diagonal pass back to Coady, putting Coady instantly under pressure.

Crusaders let everyone be the spare man unless they were within 30 yards of their goal.

In games where people truly pack out their defence it's never going to make a huge difference what your players are doing with the ball around the half way line, there just won't be big enough spaces in attacking areas for them to stand much chance of picking people out from those distances. The real difference makers in those situations are the players further forward, being brave enough to get on the ball in tight areas, getting in between opponents lines and looking to commit the defenders into leaving their positions.

If you had three defenders who could ping the ball around like Neves it would make no difference against a team set up like Crusaders did, it would be much more useful against a team like City who would come out to press you, then that extra ability on the ball gives you more chance of playing around the press or just bypassing it with more direct stuff into the spaces left behind.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we get Dias and another CM/CAM. Fosun are full of fucking surprises.

Indeed. I'm thinking a punt on top 6 is in order at 4/1ish. We'll be less if we do get Dias, but I think we're not a bad shout even now, tbh.

Would still like another at RWB (& Traore isn't it against many teams)

We can move Jonny across & use Vinagre, but that leave no alternative on the bench if there is another injury

It would appear unless it's something unexpected like Dias or opportunistic then we are only making one more signing. I hope it's a midfielder that can break beyond the forwards.

Would still like another at RWB (& Traore isn't it against many teams)

We can move Jonny across & use Vinagre, but that leave no alternative on the bench if there is another injury

I think you have to get used to that being Adama's role (he won't play much).

He can't play up front as he's a truly lousy finisher and there's nowhere else for him to go.

I think you have to get used to that being Adama's role (he won't play much).

He can't play up front as he's a truly lousy finisher and there's nowhere else for him to go.

I have no problem with him playing there, but there will be a limited number of games we can risk him in.

A long term injury to any of the others will leave gaps as don't think there are other alternatives

I still can’t get my head round why people think upgrading your CB suddenly makes us free scoring up front. It was bonkers in October, bonkers in February and it’s still bonkers.

I posted this after the game.

I’ve said it before, but we basically play with 4 CBs with Neves dropping deep. Makes it all too easy to defend against in the attacking 1/3.

When teams are attacking with 4 at the back, their full backs are as wide and high as our wingbacks with only 2 or at worst 3 people in the middle. Us having 4 in there is just a complete waste of a man.

Playing a better CB isn’t going to make a huge difference. He isn’t going to suddenly start committing players, give and go with the CMs/ WB. It will be more of the same.

When Boly steps in it never leads to anything. Just goes to Jonny and recycles.

Our issue is more the system rather than personnel. Too few people in the attacking third. We were basically playing 4 on 10.

Teams just don't play like that though in the PL unless it's exceptional circumstances like Brighton where it's right near the end of the season and they know a point will do. They certainly won't carry on playing like that if they go 1-0 down!

I maintain it's not a case of breaking teams down, we normally create plenty and had enough chances to win that game last week by four or five. We're just not that clinical, looking at Cutrone's portfolio he should help as he's a real penalty box finisher.

I still can’t get my head round why people think upgrading your CB suddenly makes us free scoring up front. It was bonkers in October, bonkers in February and it’s still bonkers.

I posted this after the game.

Our issue is more the system rather than personnel. Too few people in the attacking third. We were basically playing 4 on 10.
I get that on balance, but as per the below we have had games where Doherty is in acres of space and the ball doesn't get to him quickly enough. I don't have any idea whether Vallejo is capable of playing those balls, but Bennett tends to recycle and the moment is lost
The difference between Bennett on the right and Boly on the left is the position the first choice wing backs take. There is often a ball to an in space Doherty on for Bennett which typically Jonny doesn't offer for Boly. Beano isn't capable of playing it and to be fair doesn't try but a more comfortable player on the ball possibly could.

Teams just don't play like that though in the PL unless it's exceptional circumstances like Brighton where it's right near the end of the season and they know a point will do. They certainly won't carry on playing like that if they go 1-0 down!

I maintain it's not a case of breaking teams down, we normally create plenty and had enough chances to win that game last week by four or five. We're just not that clinical, looking at Cutrone's portfolio he should help as he's a real penalty box finisher.

I know they don’t tend to, but more and more will play in a similar if not so defensive fashion. With the added individual ability they will get the same, if not better result from less personnel in their 1/3.

I’m not arguing that it’s a massive issue, just don’t understand the hate for Bennett, when playing Sergio Ramos there won’t make a huge difference.

We created plenty of chances, but nothing golden. I can’t remember their keeper making a save second half.

Dias has reportedly turned down Benfica's contract offer so it sounds like he could be on the move.

If that is the case then we just have to activate the release clause. Chances like this don’t come round very often.

It still doesn't feel like Fosun's M.O. to just stump up release clauses though. And £57m is still a lot for a player who's not played in any top leagues yet.

I still would though.

It still doesn't feel like Fosun's M.O. to just stump up release clauses though. And £57m is still a lot for a player who's not played in any top leagues yet.

I still would though.

Oh Bear - this “none of the top leagues” stuff is just shite - talent is talent.

Oh Bear - this “none of the top leagues” stuff is just shite - talent is talent.

Indeed, De Ligt and De Jong will have no problems at their new clubs despite not playing in one of the top leagues. Much like Kompany never had when he moved to City.

Back