• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

They'd spend most of their time with their back to goal trying to play little flicks.

I think I'd rather bring Cutrone on for one of rhe central 3 and drop Jota into that role. He can at least try and turn and beat players and commit defenders.

They'd spend most of their time with their back to goal trying to play little flicks.

I think I'd rather bring Cutrone on for one of rhe central 3 and drop Jota into that role. He can at least try and turn and beat players and commit defenders.

Depends who you sign doesn't it? Like I said Jota in that role might end up trying to run at people all the time, even if they're just running around in there dragging an opposition player around with them it's more use than someone stood 20-30 yards deeper that the opposition see as zero threat and do nothing to engage with.

Thought it was quite a well thought out article, surely our system is more fluid than 4-4-2, 3-4-3, 3-5-2 or whatever but we can employ any of them at any time and do so?

Nuno will never play four at the back. Top-to-bottom, the club's set up around the idea of three at the back.

I thought it was a terrible article. We're never going to play 4-4-2.

Agreed, it was abysmal stuff. Written as if knowledgeable but having clearly never seen us play. Even basic tactics and strengths of players seem to elude the author.

From my point of view, I'd want that sort of player as an option to play a slightly different system.

In games now it usually ends up more a sort of 3142 in possession, Neves sitting deeper than the other midfielders to find some space and look to dictate play from there. However, in some games I think that makes him ineffective, when teams defend very deep and across the full width of the pitch he can't really play the big raking passes to switch the play and so his biggest weapon is somewhat negated. In those situations I don't think Neves does enough with short passes and quick interplay through the centre of the park to make up for what's been lost in wide areas, can often end up with half the team sat behind the ball leaving the other half outnumbered 2 to 1 struggling to make significant in roads.

In those situations, not unlike last Thursday, I think it would be a good option to be able to push that midfielder the other way creating more of a 3412. With limited opportunity for the big switch of play from deep you can easily just leave that responsibility to Coady rather than having Neves sat 5-10 yards in front of him, then you get an extra passing option ahead of the other two central midfielders, someone who will look to get on the ball in more advanced areas and cause more concern to a well set defence rather than constantly playing in front of them. I think with the current squad options it's difficult to make a great case for that plan, MGW potentially has the game to perform as that more advanced midfielder but his form tends to be rather up and down so wouldn't want to rely on him too greatly and the only other real option for me is Jota, who wouldn't give you exactly what you were after but has shown a knack for dropping into those areas in front of defenders from where he can then turn and run, committing players and creating spaces.

I think a genuine option for that position would give greater tactical flexibility, someone who could do some of that running from deeper positions that Jota has shown but probably better it be a more natural midfield player than dragging a forward back there, just to give it a better balance. You could perhaps try pushing Neves further forward and having Moutinho as the man floating behind the forwards but in those sort of games the opportunity is there for him to do exactly that naturally and he just doesn't seem inclined to do so.

Well put. If teams are going to play one isolated striker we need to trust the two centre backs to take care of him and either push Coady and Neves further forward or ditch Coady and play an advanced midfielder.

Well put. If teams are going to play one isolated striker we need to trust the two centre backs to take care of him and either push Coady and Neves further forward or ditch Coady and play an advanced midfielder.

I wouldn't look to alter Coady's role at all, for me the issue is very much the midfielder pointless sat 5-10 yards in front of him. Keep the back three as it is and flip the triangle formed by the midfield three, whether you do that by shuffling the current line up forward or swapping the deepest for a more advanced player.

well done fosun aka little jeff.
they (he) certainly stick to their guns and don't give up even when the target doesn't look receptive.
now go get dias and we are definitely top 5

Can't see the final target being Dias, given our links to midfielders am convinced that must be the area we are looking.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we get Dias and another CM/CAM. Fosun are full of fucking surprises.

From my point of view, I'd want that sort of player as an option to play a slightly different system.

In games now it usually ends up more a sort of 3142 in possession, Neves sitting deeper than the other midfielders to find some space and look to dictate play from there. However, in some games I think that makes him ineffective, when teams defend very deep and across the full width of the pitch he can't really play the big raking passes to switch the play and so his biggest weapon is somewhat negated. In those situations I don't think Neves does enough with short passes and quick interplay through the centre of the park to make up for what's been lost in wide areas, can often end up with half the team sat behind the ball leaving the other half outnumbered 2 to 1 struggling to make significant in roads.

In those situations, not unlike last Thursday, I think it would be a good option to be able to push that midfielder the other way creating more of a 3412. With limited opportunity for the big switch of play from deep you can easily just leave that responsibility to Coady rather than having Neves sat 5-10 yards in front of him, then you get an extra passing option ahead of the other two central midfielders, someone who will look to get on the ball in more advanced areas and cause more concern to a well set defence rather than constantly playing in front of them. I think with the current squad options it's difficult to make a great case for that plan, MGW potentially has the game to perform as that more advanced midfielder but his form tends to be rather up and down so wouldn't want to rely on him too greatly and the only other real option for me is Jota, who wouldn't give you exactly what you were after but has shown a knack for dropping into those areas in front of defenders from where he can then turn and run, committing players and creating spaces.

I think a genuine option for that position would give greater tactical flexibility, someone who could do some of that running from deeper positions that Jota has shown but probably better it be a more natural midfield player than dragging a forward back there, just to give it a better balance. You could perhaps try pushing Neves further forward and having Moutinho as the man floating behind the forwards but in those sort of games the opportunity is there for him to do exactly that naturally and he just doesn't seem inclined to do so.
Agree with most of the rest of your post, but to me we look more like we're 1-3-4-2 against the more defensive teams, with coady dropping behind a 3 of bennett/neves/boly, with moutinho & donck as well as the wider players in front of them, then the front 2. When defending bennett/boly and the wide players will drop back of course.

Back