• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

If we were really in for Dias at one point I don't think we'd turn him away if there was a breakthrough in the negotiations. But I would imagine the club absolutely aren't counting on his arrival (indeed, if they're smart they never would have in the first place).

Im not too concerned about ac milan fans opinions, they are incredibly fickle. Plus cutrone is young enough where he can grow and bulk up a bit to become more physical.
Im keen on dias at a 55m release clause and any wage within reason, we have money to burn and its not like hes going to be worth less next year. Doesnt mean we have to play two new faces in defence, we can introduce him gradually. Hes one of the top defensive prospects in the world, pay him bring him in.
We continue to need another midfielder, someone creative and offensive minded to share minutes with moutinho.

Ha. ;)
9f188dfb30d1c7e083406a8f7183b570.jpg

Kean or no Kean, I'd still like us to sign a CAM / #10
If we can get Dias, fantastic, but if our 'one more signing' turned out to be Wallace from Lazio I'd feel a touch underwhelmed

Not sure how to feel about Kean.

Few times I've seen him for Juve he always looks pretty raw but then his scoring record looks pretty impressive for a kid who isn't playing too regularly and he's even managed to carry that across to the national team. Can sort of see why there might be doubts whether he can be polished enough to be a really top player but at the same time surprised that Juve have been willing to sell him outright rather than an initial loan just so they could monitor his progress a little longer before making a permanent decision.

That was rumoured but it's not being reported now.

Kean or no Kean, I'd still like us to sign a CAM / #10
If we can get Dias, fantastic, but if our 'one more signing' turned out to be Wallace from Lazio I'd feel a touch underwhelmed

Thought about this a lot over during this window. A true #10 doesn't have a place in our team really do they (Not sure what those 2 are like). It's not like they will just sit behind the 2 strikers and not have to help defend. Don't get the Jota behind Jimenez/Cutrone suggestions for this reason. Look how much work all 3 midfielders do (i.e whichever you want to say is furthest forward, Moutinho?). And the passing work. Jota isn't made for either of those things, like at all!

Thought about this a lot over during this window. A true #10 doesn't have a place in our team really do they (Not sure what those 2 are like). It's not like they will just sit behind the 2 strikers and not have to help defend. Don't get the Jota behind Jimenez/Cutrone suggestions for this reason. Look how much work all 3 midfielders do (i.e whichever you want to say is furthest forward, Moutinho?). And the passing work. Jota isn't made for either of those things, like at all!

A number 10 wouldn't just sit behind the strikers anyway they'd still need to get involved in general midfield play - whether its a number 10 or 8 - we need someone in midfield who can chip in with a few more goals and link midfield with attack in some of the games where teams just sit in and show no ambition like the Brighton game last season.

A number 10 wouldn't just sit behind the strikers anyway they'd still need to get involved in general midfield play - whether its a number 10 or 8 - we need someone in midfield who can chip in with a few more goals and link midfield with attack in some of the games where teams just sit in and show no ambition like the Brighton game last season.

Agree with all this. We don't need Donck, Neves and Moutinho in for the bus parkers, we need a David Silva type who can unlock defences and ghost in through small gaps.

From my point of view, I'd want that sort of player as an option to play a slightly different system.

In games now it usually ends up more a sort of 3142 in possession, Neves sitting deeper than the other midfielders to find some space and look to dictate play from there. However, in some games I think that makes him ineffective, when teams defend very deep and across the full width of the pitch he can't really play the big raking passes to switch the play and so his biggest weapon is somewhat negated. In those situations I don't think Neves does enough with short passes and quick interplay through the centre of the park to make up for what's been lost in wide areas, can often end up with half the team sat behind the ball leaving the other half outnumbered 2 to 1 struggling to make significant in roads.

In those situations, not unlike last Thursday, I think it would be a good option to be able to push that midfielder the other way creating more of a 3412. With limited opportunity for the big switch of play from deep you can easily just leave that responsibility to Coady rather than having Neves sat 5-10 yards in front of him, then you get an extra passing option ahead of the other two central midfielders, someone who will look to get on the ball in more advanced areas and cause more concern to a well set defence rather than constantly playing in front of them. I think with the current squad options it's difficult to make a great case for that plan, MGW potentially has the game to perform as that more advanced midfielder but his form tends to be rather up and down so wouldn't want to rely on him too greatly and the only other real option for me is Jota, who wouldn't give you exactly what you were after but has shown a knack for dropping into those areas in front of defenders from where he can then turn and run, committing players and creating spaces.

I think a genuine option for that position would give greater tactical flexibility, someone who could do some of that running from deeper positions that Jota has shown but probably better it be a more natural midfield player than dragging a forward back there, just to give it a better balance. You could perhaps try pushing Neves further forward and having Moutinho as the man floating behind the forwards but in those sort of games the opportunity is there for him to do exactly that naturally and he just doesn't seem inclined to do so.

The only issue with a player behind the strikers is that when teams defend deep there's very little space centrally or between their lines. We'd have an extra body to attack centrally but it'd still be tough.

The only issue with a player behind the strikers is that when teams defend deep there's very little space centrally or between their lines. We'd have an extra body to attack centrally but it'd still be tough.

I'd rather have an extra passing option ahead of the ball, even if in a congested area, than someone sat holding hands with the centre halves when opponents show no inclination to step out and press them.

Back