• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

I will never understand this fanboy idol worship you lot have of footballers.
Acknowledging a footballer as a human being with emotions and struggles hardly qualifies as "fanboy worship".

I agree, Italians will never work out for us. Just see Bonatini ;)

san-diego-chargers-suck-images-thecelebritypix.jpg

DW the germans are almost as bad as the italians. I dont think its a coincidence, it must be something to do with their early academy training/national league style of play not being suited to the premier league. Good players from other nationalities have come from seria a and been spectacular flops.

You mean your cultural awareness of "hes a dago wop, so he must be a mammas boy and not want to leave because of that"
Hes a football player. He gets paid millions to play a game, in a cutthroat business, he will retire at 33-34 and do whatever he wants for the rest of his life. He has agents, lawyers, family supporting him in every decision. If you honestly think that he doesnt want to move because hell miss his mom, and not because hell be going from a huge salary and a high profile club to a (relatively) low profile club and a lower salary, I dont know what to tell you... you are extrmely naive.

Hamburg is my absolute favourite place in the world. Enough people on here will tell you how much I love that place, how well I know it, how I still have friends over there and the general enthusiasm I have if anyone asks me for advice on visiting the place.

I moved there when I was 20 and despite being fluent in the language, actually wanting to go, having a great social life over there, nice place to live, decent enough job, being ok for money...it was bloody hard. Seriously, sometimes it was crippling to be away from everything you've ever known and there's no way to just pop back on the train in an hour or so.

Patrick Cutrone never asked to leave Milan, he is a Milan boy and a Milan fan. I can accept him taking a few days to make his mind up but then I do actually have a shred of empathy left in me, just about.

Staying away from players because of their nationality seems like the most irrational of reasons to not sign a player.

Hamburg is my absolute favourite place in the world. Enough people on here will tell you how much I love that place, how well I know it, how I still have friends over there and the general enthusiasm I have if anyone asks me for advice on visiting the place.

I moved there when I was 20 and despite being fluent in the language, actually wanting to go, having a great social life over there, nice place to live, decent enough job, being ok for money...it was bloody hard. Seriously, sometimes it was crippling to be away from everything you've ever known and there's no way to just pop back on the train in an hour or so.

Exactly this, you'd have to be a genuine psychopath to not miss home in some way, even if you didn't like it any way whatsoever.

It's probably more that the top Italians don't leave Italy as they get paid shed loads to stay there, so why would you go to live in the grim north if you didn't have to.

How many English players in the PL era have gone to one of major foreign league and done well? There's the very recent series of teenagers, but before that Gazza, Waddle and Platt at the start then McManaman and Beckham is all I can think of off the top of my head. Can't really include Hargreaves and Owen was a failure really

Becks was at very least a qualified success. Real fans liked Owen but one season isn't enough to judge.

Vinny Sideways actually made a decent career for himself!

Almost none, closest is bale if you consider him english. Very rare for an englishmen to play abroad though unless hes shit and its scotland or something

Butch Wilkins and Trevor Francis if we're going further back. Mark Hateley to a point and our mate Hoddle was very well regarded at Monaco.

I think Inter fans liked Ince as well. They can keep him.

How many English players in the PL era have gone to one of major foreign league and done well? There's the very recent series of teenagers, but before that Gazza, Waddle and Platt at the start then McManaman and Beckham is all I can think of off the top of my head. Can't really include Hargreaves and Owen was a failure really

Bale would be a success but I guess the biggest barrier would be wages. British players tend to earn more here than abroad and they have their families here too.

Very little reason to move.

Not forgetting the legend that is Paul Lambert.

John Charles , Denis Law, Ian Rush, Kevin Keegan but its pretty sparse. However it is changing.

So are spanish the statistically odd ones out? Great national league, still do really well abroad?
Belgians are great too but their national league is very poor, keep in mind they have a huge focus on youth academies and selling players like ajax in holland

Back