• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

My issue, as stated before, is releasing players before signing their replacements. Most on here when the Cav news came out said things along the lines of 'we must have a deal or 2 in the bag then'. Nobody said I doubt we will have signed anyone in 2 weeks. I don't doubt we'll get deals over the line, but we are clearly working our way down the list rather than having players sorted. I have a feeling Thelwell won't see out August
I agree.

The pantwetting. 4-5 x weeks ago was too much. But a couple of weeks left, with a tiny squad, little to no quality back up and seemingly nothing close to being done? (Before someone points it out, I know I don’t have access to Jeff Shi’s office, so something *could* be announced tomorrow, but I highly doubt it). I think it’s fine for people to start showing some concern at this point.

Even if we do bring in 2-3 quality additions (I hope we do), it’s still going to be far from ideal in terms of timing and allowing them to bed in and get used to our formation/style.

Guess we have to trust Jeff & co at this point.

What exactly is Thelwells role? Surely he is just talent identification? Which is also done with the approval of the manager?

Is aiming too high his fault? Is players not wanting to come to us his fault?

What exactly is Thelwells role? Surely he is just talent identification? Which is also done with the approval of the manager?

Is aiming too high his fault? Is players not wanting to come to us his fault?
When Moxey left, it was described as his job being split between Thelwell and Dalrymple, with the former doing the football side. That would mean he'd be responsible for the talent identification from his old role and the negotiation element from his new. So whether it is aiming too high, lowballing the offer or ballsing up the player negotiation then on all none Mendes/Nuno deals he's the one in the firing line.

I'll worry if we haven't signed anyone come the 8th of August.

I'll worry if we haven't signed anyone come the 8th of August.

I won't be worried if at 5.01pm on the 8th we have signed no one. Fucking annoyed more like as we face putting a lot of hard work at risk.

I am still confident we will sign 2 or 3 before that point mind

Realistically we have a first team squad of 17, of whom three are goalies. (I'm excluding Roderick, plus Kilman, Ennis and the lads who came on in China as I really don't think they're ready yet). Realistically we need at least 3 signings and possibly four. Given that we are now the only team apart from Chelsea not to add to the players we had at the end of last season, I think TT's doomsday clock is starting to be justified.

I agree.

The pantwetting. 4-5 x weeks ago was too much. But a couple of weeks left, with a tiny squad, little to no quality back up and seemingly nothing close to being done? (Before someone points it out, I know I don’t have access to Jeff Shi’s office, so something *could* be announced tomorrow, but I highly doubt it). I think it’s fine for people to start showing some concern at this point.

Even if we do bring in 2-3 quality additions (I hope we do), it’s still going to be far from ideal in terms of timing and allowing them to bed in and get used to our formation/style.

Guess we have to trust Jeff & co at this point.
It's hard not to agree with this.

We are obviously trying to bring players in but, for whatever reason, it hasn't happened. I am sure players will sign but it is only natural to start getting a little concerned.

If we are struggling to convince the players we are targeting to come to us then it is surely Thelwell's job to either a) convince them to sign or b) move onto other targets who do want to sign.

Of course, I have no idea what goes on behind he scenes and come August 8th we could have landed some quality players but I am starting to get a little worried and I am certainly no pant wetter. I do also enjoy any excuse to moan about Thelwell though...

It really isn't, because NOBODY knows what is going on behind the scenes so why assume that nothing is.

Absence of proof does not equal proof of absence.

Behave pad. It's really unfair to try and paint worrying as being unreasonable. The higher our ambition, the smaller the talent pool, and the smaller the talent pool, the harder each missed target hits us. We've got two weeks left, and we've got 12 senior outfield players in what could be a 60 game season. Regressing now could cost us Neves, Jota and Vinagre - we only keep them if our progress matches or exceeds their ambition. These next two weeks are absolutely vital.

And I am confident they will deliver.

I am being unfair to those on here though. I have made the mistake of reading MolMix in the hope for updates and I am tarring those with concerns validly put with the same brush as posters on there really can be only described as pant-wetting of the first order. Sorry about that chaps.

Pad, not two weeks ago you used the fact that people on the mix agreed with your concerns on another matter as validation for your opinion :icon_lol: I'm confused, are they the voice of reason, or demented pantwetters?

Pad, not two weeks ago you used the fact that people on the mix agreed with your concerns on another matter as validation for your opinion :icon_lol: I'm confused, are they the voice of reason, or demented pantwetters?

That was a different concern (and do you know, I am buggered if I can remember what concern it was, so it must have been absolutely crucial).

I almost dare you to try and read the transfer threads on there now. They have become utterly unreadable.

Would be slightly happier if we hadn't offloaded 2 senior players already without any incoming shortly after.

Can understand the Costa decision as he didn't fit the formation we played in the second half of the season & had very limited impact. Cav, whilst not being a first pick, was still a more experienced player who would give something as a backup for various positions.

Still think that we will bring some in, whether it's enough or the one's we ideally wanted is another matter.

We are moving into the higher atmosphere & no way of knowing how the players we are targeting view us as a place to call home seeing as we are new boys at the table - not always going to be possible to persuade them to come here.

The biggest issue this season is that the rumour mill is just silent. And when there are any links they are just shut down or from terrible sources.

Wolves can keep their cards as close to their chest as they like, but it always comes out and has in the past. The fact we aren’t hearing anything IS a strong indication that nothing is happening.

Everything has gone a bit silent, so now we are looking at Friday/Saturday at the earliest (if something concretes comes out in the next 24hrs).

Back