• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

No disrespect meant to this lad as I haven't seen him play but this would be some comedown from Dias.

No disrespect meant to this lad as I haven't seen him play but this would be some comedown from Dias.

Most defenders would be right now as we are targeting a player you wouldn't think was possible for us to sign. I still think we will try and sign Dias even if another comes in as he falls into the category of if you can get him, get him regardless.

Thing with Dias is that he would cost Wolves a boatload of money. Way way more than he is worth.

Dias' current release clause is more than reasonable money in the current market - Harry Maguire is going for more.

Thing with Dias is that he would cost Wolves a boatload of money. Way way more than he is worth.

He hits the levels he is expected to do so and that money becomes nothing to Wolves as the next club he moves too will pay more than we did. He is exactly the type of player Fosun want at the club in terms of being an instant starter and a return on a heavy spend.

Could anyone who has watched Dias tell us if he could play the sweeper role? I love Coady but there is definite scope to upgrade him.

Could anyone who has watched Dias tell us if he could play the sweeper role? I love Coady but there is definite scope to upgrade him.

What do you mean a sweeper role? I am not used to some more technical terms in English. I saw pretty much every game from Ruben Dias (STH at Benfica).

Dias is not worth the money Benfica would ask for him, IMHO. He's good, but is prone to silly screw ups that may end up with point losses. Later today I can drop some videos when I'm at home but look for Benfica v. Belenenses match, Benfica v. Eintrach, on the top of my head. The first game could have meant a loss of the title race.

Sometimes he goes brain freeze mode and fucks up spectacularly. Other times he is overly aggressive and ends up booked without a real need to, endangering the team.

But maybe I'm overreacting to some of his mistakes. I do think Ferro will surpass him very quickly, although.

By sweeper he means the position Coady plays, in our system as the deepest centre back

What do you mean a sweeper role? I am not used to some more technical terms in English.

Can he do the job Coady does (defending deep, covering and pinging passes that make Neves look daft) or would he better replacing Ryan Bennett

Can't see many players playing the Coady role better than Coady in our system. The team's style of play has built around how he plays there - similar to Doc, he might not work elsewhere, but works perfectly in Nuno's system for Wolves. No need to even consider an upgrade for a very long time.

Can't see many players playing the Coady role better than Coady in our system. The team's style of play has built around how he plays there - similar to Doc, he might not work elsewhere, but works perfectly in Nuno's system for Wolves. No need to even consider an upgrade for a very long time.

Agreed, we're someway off needing to upgrade Coady imo, he optimises this Wolves side and his leadership qualities are not to be underestimated.

We do need a player who can fill in there though. Who would we currently play there if Coady was suspended or injured?

Difficult to get someone to come and fill in on the odd occasion Coady doesn't play, he player all the games last season I think?

At the moment I would say it's Donk, or perhaps Kilman.

From Joel's description it sounds as though Dias is more a Bennett style player but better on the ball.

Difficult to get someone to come and fill in on the odd occasion Coady doesn't play, he player all the games last season I think?

I meant in a 2nd position rather than a player just to be backup.

What do you mean a sweeper role? I am not used to some more technical terms in English. I saw pretty much every game from Ruben Dias (STH at Benfica).

Dias is not worth the money Benfica would ask for him, IMHO. He's good, but is prone to silly screw ups that may end up with point losses. Later today I can drop some videos when I'm at home but look for Benfica v. Belenenses match, Benfica v. Eintrach, on the top of my head. The first game could have meant a loss of the title race.

Sometimes he goes brain freeze mode and fucks up spectacularly. Other times he is overly aggressive and ends up booked without a real need to, endangering the team.

But maybe I'm overreacting to some of his mistakes. I do think Ferro will surpass him very quickly, although.

Benfica plays with just two CBs, right? Playing in a back three could go some way to alleviate those issues.

I agree cover for Coady should come from a player in the squad that can play another position as well. If we were to upgrade on Bennett it would be nice if that player could also make a fist of playing in the middle of the back three. I know next to nothing about Kilman but imagine Saiss would probably get the nod at the moment as a bit of experience wouldn't go amiss in such a pivotal position.

Back