• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

I've always liked Dave Edwards for the effort he has put in over the years in a Wolves shirt. If he is to leave I'll be raising a glass to that rather than any other reason. I'm well aware that as a footballer he is not the most technically gifted but has made the most of his abilities and has forged a career in the game at a level that some others who were/are far more capable never have.

It's not his fault that multiple managers have defaulted to the mindset of "he works really hard and is a nice guy so I'll pick him". However in multiple teams his presence has damaged us.

We should really have got rid of him as long ago as 2009. Would never and will never fault him as a person or in terms of effort but he is not a good footballer and his odd little scoring runs don't make up for the spells where he knocks in 1 in 25 and contributes nothing at all.

If Edwards leaves, we'll be in for another CM, right? Not sure I like the idea of relying on Ronan or Gibbs-White there as fourth-choice backup, as exciting as they are as prospects. (And Ronan seems to be settling into playing as an inside forward pretty well.) Guess we can move Coady forward too, but... hmm.

I've always liked Dave Edwards for the effort he has put in over the years in a Wolves shirt. If he is to leave I'll be raising a glass to that rather than any other reason. I'm well aware that as a footballer he is not the most technically gifted but has made the most of his abilities and has forged a career in the game at a level that some others who were/are far more capable never have.

I agree. Dave has always given his best in a Wolves shirt; nobody can fault his effort in any way. However, and I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, we're moving on from the "Dave Edwards" football we used to play under managers such as Mick McCarthy, where "putting a shift in" was the be all and end all of the coaching philosophy. Under our new regime, Dave unfortunately is the proverbial square peg trying to fit in a round hole. If indeed he does go, I shall raise a glass and wish him all the best for the future.

He's the best midfielder at arriving late in the box in the Championship don't you know?

On a serious note although on a footballing level I won't be sad to see him go it's a shame he won't get his testimonial as I'm sure he would have given most if not all the money to charity.

He's the best midfielder at arriving late in the box in the Championship don't you know?

Fortunately, whatever happens we'll never have to hear Peter Beagrie say that again as Sky have sacked him after he got a bit Andy Capp with his missus. Though I wish they could have sacked Garry Birtles at the same time.

Absolutely right: plenty of players with far more natural ability buggering about in the Conference

lol, i'm imagining you enjoying a beer this evening with this news.

Tis my birthday this weekend too. Happy days.

I appreciate Dave's a nice bloke and he has done fantastically well to maximise his limited ability as a footballer and I salute him for that.

On a serious note although on a footballing level I won't be sad to see him go it's a shame he won't get his testimonial as I'm sure he would have given most if not all the money to charity.

Mark Venus MKII.

At least we aren't bringing the Steve Sedgley equivalent in as a part of the deal... I hope.

Isn't in 10 years in January ? Save a bit of money on a testimonial I suppose

Nice bloke is Dave and has represented the club well in his time here but if a club is offering money then i think we should take it. I don't think he's needed here now so we should let him go and if we think we need someone to fill any gap he leaves then we can go and get one.

Setting aside our knowledge of Edwards ability what sort of fee can we achieve for him do we think?

After all he's a Welsh Euro semi-finalist and one of the best late arriving goal scoring midfielders in the league [sic]?

Obviously with our impending FFP demise we could do with a sizeable fee to offset our irresponsible spending.

If Edwards leaves, we'll be in for another CM, right? Not sure I like the idea of relying on Ronan or Gibbs-White there as fourth-choice backup, as exciting as they are as prospects. (And Ronan seems to be settling into playing as an inside forward pretty well.) Guess we can move Coady forward too, but... hmm.
Neves, Saiss, Price, MGW, Ronan. That'll do.

Dave Edwards will go with my very best wishes. He's a model professional and has been a fantastic servant to the club. But nearly all of us would agree that he isn't good enough for where we want to be, and hasn't been for a long, long time.

He'll want to be playing regularly in a World Cup year, so I think this one's been coming for a while.

£1.5m-£2m at most IMO. He's too old to command any more than that, even with the extra ticks of international caps and the like.

Tim Nash has tweeted Jordan Graham is off to Fulham on loan.

Not quite sure how I feel about that.

Wolves end of season awards category "Twitter player of the season"

13/14 - Kevin McDonald - went to Fulham
14/15 - Richard Stearman - went to Fulham
15/16 - Jordan Graham...

That's weird!

Tim Nash has tweeted Jordan Graham is off to Fulham on loan.

Not quite sure how I feel about that.

No point keeping a player that doesn't fit our system. Should be sold rather than a loan though.

Back