• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

I can understand the general populace not understanding the concept, that's fine.

Football journalists who don't get it should hang their heads in shame.

I agree and if they don't then they should either research it or speak to someone who does.

You will have because your business has IP, copyrights, etc.

I feel the opposite, I don't like the idea that people, who in general will be manual workers, are expected to know about accountancy.

That wasn't quite what I was getting at but I see your point (and Dan's). It's the tone of the fancast 'amortisation to impress your mates'. Bit of a cuntish thing to say really.

In what is probably a lazy "he plays in Portugal so Wolves are interested" nonsense story, we're apparently looking at Bongani Zungu of Vitoria Guimaraes.

That wasn't quite what I was getting at but I see your point (and Dan's). It's the tone of the fancast 'amortisation to impress your mates'. Bit of a cuntish thing to say really.

Yeah, fair point.

I can understand the general populace not understanding the concept, that's fine.

Football journalists who don't get it should hang their heads in shame.

Public spending is the same. 90% of journalists waffle on about it despite having a fundamental misunderstanding of how it works.

A standard figure in most company accounts is EBITDA.

Earnings before interest, taxation, depreciation and amortisation

Bongani Zungu

Part of me wants this to be Alan making up some kind of silly name, yet another part is already working out a) how much a shirt with that name on it would cost, and b) what song(s) could be sung with credit to such an amazing name.

You will have because your business has IP, copyrights, etc.

I feel the opposite, I don't like the idea that people, who in general will be manual workers, are expected to know about accountancy.

My business is tiny too and I need to be handheld through the accounting like an 8 year old. Its partly because I just keep the right records. The rules , why's and wherefores are what I pay the accountant for. I think lots of people are similar. I am reasonably educated and intelligent but accountancy rules would need to be learnt in order to comply. As there are several ways to trip up I played safe and pay the accountant!

Can't we stop all these rumours from Portugal and just go and buy Zohore off Cardiff?

To expect the average Joe, let alone the average football fan to have a grasp of basic accountancy terminology and apply them to an area of football that most people don't really care about is a bit out of touch, IMO. I agree with DW in that it really should be within the knowledgebase of football journalists when they're talking about FFP, but that's obviously not as sexy and click-worthy as the scaremongering that Spiers, and the E&S in general, like to peddle.

To be fair
if you really want to impress or bore your friends, this is apparently called ‘amortisation’
might be a bit patronising to the business owners, lawyers and accountants in this world, but I reckon most of my mates would genuinely be either bored or impressed if I started talking about amortisation when asked about Wolves :D

To be fair might be a but patronising to the business owners, lawyers and accountants in this world, but I reckon most of my mates would genuinely be either bored or impressed if I started talking about amortisation when asked about Wolves :D

In which case the next time your mates moan or express worry over budgets or FFP you can tell them to shut the fuck up as they haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

They don't :) That's my point.

I think the concept of amortisation is easy to understand. The reality is a little more tricky to relate to though.

Say i bought a new car for £20k that will last me 5 years so I say it's only costing me £4k a year, even though I gave the car dealer £20k today.

It's hard to get your head around why it hasn't cost you £20k right now if you aren't familiar with that sort of thing

I don't know why people have taken umbrage with this - it's clearly not meant in a serious way and I'll hold my hands up and admit that I didn't know what it meant before I read recent posts on this thread. At least they've attempted to explain what FFP is about. Although I would agree that it's pretty shitty that supposed professional journalists don't understand it, especially when they attempt to argue a point referencing FFP when they don't actually understand it!

They don't :) That's my point.

Fair enough, but a quick look on twatter and there's all sorts of nonsense being bandied about and the hysteria is palpable. A look over the road tells me there are all manner of utter fucking morons bleating about it too.

I don't know why people have taken umbrage with this - it's clearly not meant in a serious way and I'll hold my hands up and admit that I didn't know what it meant before I read recent posts on this thread. At least they've attempted to explain what FFP is about. Although I would agree that it's pretty shitty that supposed professional journalists don't understand it, especially when they attempt to argue a point referencing FFP when they don't actually understand it!

It's not the article (which is actually pretty good).

[rant] My bug bear, and it's just a personal one, is the 'oh, you know about (insert stuff here), ooh get you'. Like knowledge is a bad thing and knowing something alienates you from those that don't. It's a cancer on our society and journalists are the worst for it, the 'I know this and you don't' mentality from some journalists really pisses me off.

Most journalists I've had the displeasure to meet are utter cockrotting pissgibbons* who are genuinely as thick as the shit they write. This then filters onto social media where the loudest voices are responded to like they have knowledge. This is why Trump is so successful. [/rant]

*many thanks Wombat

Good rant - the swearing helps it so I'll give it a 8/10.

Can't we stop all these rumours from Portugal and just go and buy Zohore off Cardiff?

Well seeing as Benfica are due at st georges park from sunday until next Friday I doubt it. Hard not to think that there will be some kind of meeting with Jeff seeing as the two clubs are very close.

Back