• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Sounds like another Aboubakar-style rumour to me. I'm not trusting anything that doesn't have the provenance of the Neves and Ruddy rumours from the last couple of weeks, let alone the Luisao/Talisca rumours from last year.

In other news, Philip Heise has given an interview in Germany saying he wants to come to Wolves, but Dresden aren't letting him leave until they find a replacement.

In other news, Philip Heise has given an interview in Germany saying he wants to come to Wolves, but Dresden aren't letting him leave until they find a replacement.

They can have Doherty.

As last season was drawing to a close, my fantasy wish list for pre-season would have been:

New manager & coaching staff
New GK
Defensive overhaul
A quality central midfielder or 2
New striker
Move on as many of those that aren't good enough as we possibly can
Keep Costa

I'd say we are well on our way to ticking those boxes.

I was happy enough to stick with Lambert, but it looks like we've upgraded in that department but I think my wish list was:

Clear out of coaching staff
Clear out of the deadwood on the pitch
Thelwell to do one
New GK
At least 3 new defenders
2 new CMs
2 new strikers
Keep Costa/Cavaleiro

TBH I didn't expect to see as many signings as we're making this summer, and no way did I ever think we'd be able to bring in someone like Neves.

Yes, Fosun IN! Maybe Jeff Shi sits on this forum under a different name..very happy with business, and coaching staff was important to change..

We can have TWO proper left-backs. That's ludicrous.

We can have TWO proper left-backs. That's ludicrous.

With this and us deciding we can have more than three people on the coaching staff at any one time, I don't know what kind of lunacy has infected the Molineux corridors.

We should do it (assuming he's any good, I don't know much about him), Doherty is not any kind of option. Of course you have players in the squad primarily to cover, but it's no good if you fundamentally don't trust them and wouldn't want them playing a single minute ideally. See Lonergan, Andrew for details.

Yes, Fosun IN! Maybe Jeff Shi sits on this forum under a different name..very happy with business, and coaching staff was important to change..

I think over the last 3 or 4 windows it has been painfully obvious to the majority of this forum exactly what was needed. We may not always agree on everything but on 75% we had nailed that we needed a defensive upgrade, all positions, Midfield upgrade, coaching upgrade and a striker. The fact that pretty much all of this appears to be happening and in pre season should give every wolves fan heart that we will be a force in the league going forward. May be not league winners or promoted this coming season but knocking on the door of the play offs is a realistic expectation, even if players need time to settle in. There can also be no doubt of the strategic intent from Fosun. They have had a one season look at the players and coaches , while backing the managers, they are not happy with the state of progress and they are facilitating a shake up to enable the on and off field team to be capable of matching their ambitions. In doing this they will also be sending a huge message to the naysayers that perpetually moan about Wolves and no ambishun etc that they should really shut up , get behind the whole club and give the whole regime a chance to prove their mettle. Bloody love it all round!

I would be massively disappointed if we don't reach the playoffs this year..no pressure ;)

Unless there are some kind of ridiculous extenuating circumstances, the minimum we should ever be doing at this level is having a proper challenge for the playoffs (even if we end up falling short). If Colin Lee and Glenn Hoddle could do it then it shouldn't be beyond the wit of most others to have a go. Look at the state of the Blues team that Rowett had in the shake-up a couple of years ago. Look at how crap we were under Mick in 07/08 and still took it to the final day.

That we've got nowhere near in three of our last four seasons in this division (and got relegated in one of them) is seriously poor. I don't see why default expectations should have dropped, lower mid-table in this crap league is not anywhere near acceptable.

Unless there are some kind of ridiculous extenuating circumstances, the minimum we should ever be doing at this level is having a proper challenge for the playoffs (even if we end up falling short). If Colin Lee and Glenn Hoddle could do it then it shouldn't be beyond the wit of most others to have a go. Look at the state of the Blues team that Rowett had in the shake-up a couple of years ago. Look at how crap we were under Mick in 07/08 and still took it to the final day.

That we've got nowhere near in three of our last four seasons in this division (and got relegated in one of them) is seriously poor. I don't see why default expectations should have dropped, lower mid-table in this crap league is not anywhere near acceptable.

Agreed , but it was never going to happen when every managers auto picks included Doherty , Batth , Edwards , Coady and Saville, Lonergan 10-15 games in goal and a misfiring strike force. I think the right buttons have been pressed and see that the owners are keen to match intent with capability.

I would be massively disappointed if we don't reach the playoffs this year..no pressure ;)

You don't spend the amounts we have (including breaking the record for the division in the process) to finish in mid table. Top 6 really is the minimum requirement. I think we can give Fosun the benefit of the doubt for last season but this time, we really have got to be challenging.

Not quite sure where the best place to put this is.

Tim Nash has tweeted that Helder has had ankle surgery and is due to be out for 3 months - which is a massive blow.

Heavily expecting us to go back in for another winger now.

Back