• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Five-six new players.
Jackett has performed poorly at times, but has had ridiculous injuries to key players.

I'm always against changing unless absolutely necessary, which I don't think we are at yet.

Yet.

I don't think he can use injuries as an excuse.

Played Ikeme when Martinez is fit.
Sold his only proper left back aside from an untried kid.
Often left our best midfielder out of the starting 11.
Signed Williamson (32 YO, 18mth contract) whom he knew to be injured.
Left Graham and Wallace out of the team for ages.
Signed a striker/No 10 who doesn't fit our 'system' so then drops him.
Signed a proven championship striker on loan who also didn't fit the system so never played him either.
Gave an extended run in games of no consequence to a striker who never scores and who won't be here next month ahead of Enbokhare who he raves about yet never plays.

And that's just off the top of my head. The man should have been fired months ago and in any other season he would have been. He's reached Saunders levels of ineptitude for me. He's had a very easy time from the fans too.

If it's a straight either/or choice then I'd change the manager as I think pound for pound he's the worst performing manager in the Championship this season, quite comfortably too. Injuries or not, there is no excuse for the way we play and the evidence against him is damning, he's very fortunate we've had another extremely weak bottom three this year - leaving aside inherent pessimism, as soon as we reached 40 points we were very close to safety in reality, let alone 50.

I do think we need quite a lot of work on the squad, there are some glaringly weak areas and unless they're fixed it's hard to see anyone doing much better than say, Cardiff/Blues/Ipswich have done - though I'd take that in the current off field circumstances after this year's shitshow, providing of course the entertainment value was there along the way. The very minimum we should ever aspire to in this division is a semi-coherent challenge for the playoffs, those three have fallen short but they have at least been in with a shout until the final 2-3 weeks - we haven't been anywhere near at any point since August. And as I say - putting together such a challenge should be a mandatory requirement of whoever manages this club, two of those three are in a very poor off field state, Blues' squad is not very good at all and Ipswich have barely spent a penny since Mick came in, so it shows you can manage it in straitened circumstances, the fact that we have comprehensively failed to match that is just dreadful, it isn't even very hard to do. We're below basket cases such as Leeds and QPR FFS.

We badly need at least one new keeper, a left back, a right back if Iorfa goes or moves permanently to centre half, probably two central midfielders (just for novelty value, let's sign a couple that can control the ball, eh?), at least one wide player and possibly two depending on how Graham's recovery is going and at least one striker with the important stipulation that whoever it is must be able to semi-convincingly do what Dicko does given his role is quite clearly central to everything we do. That's pretty major surgery.

Martinez

Iorfa/Doherty
Williamson
Hause/Iorfa
Deslandes

Price
Saville/Evans

Zyro
Wallace
Graham

Dicko

With Ikeme, Batth, Hause/Doherty, Evans/Saville, Mason, Byrne Hunte, Bright in reserve is not too shabby. Problem is injuries and how appalling Jackett has managed players this season.

I think we need a real quality central midfielder but Coady (who we spunked 2 million on :facepalm: ) and Edwards are going nowhere. Henry is seen as an integral member of the team. We persist with shoehorning Edwards into the team even if it is to the detriment to the team shape/ performance. McDonald is almost certainly off. A left back and creative attacking player are needed too.

So there is obvious work to be done on the squad but I would still choose to sack the manager.

New manager. Jackett has completed his career cycle. Stats are damning and performances dire. Leicester show what a change of manager can accomplish with roughly the same squad and Dyche has shown how to replace your best player effectively (Gray for Ings) without ruining your yearly chances.

My biggest gripe with Jackett is the sheer confusion he's cultivated this season, he's actively ruining players careers and destroying a team and that's unforgivable.

Silly question really. Half the posters on here would have got this current bunch within sight of the playoffs.
Sorry Kenny but tarra!

The problem is three-fold (KJ, KT, JM).

The stats bare out the debacle

Players re-signed that weren't good enough to begin with. Money wasted on average players and/or players that have shown no progression. We have hardly any pace and as a team we cannot pass/move and a more than a few struggle to control a ball. We even signed a striker that he struggled to fit into the side. An expensive, high-tech convoluted system that has is run by people who have no nous.

A complete mess - clean slate required. No changes next season and I smell another relegation.

Five-six new players.
Jackett has performed poorly at times, but has had ridiculous injuries to key players.

I'm always against changing unless absolutely necessary, which I don't think we are at yet.

Yet.

It's all well and good pinpointing injuries but the football was shite before he conceded and finally started playing Graham and before Zyro was even a Wolves player? His record is worse than Saunders if we don't beat Wednesday next weekend? Do we need to be 10 points adrift? where is it for you when his position becomes untenable?

Having three serious knee injuries (four including Boukari) is appalling luck but Jackett has made a rod for his own back several times over for me.

As for relegation next season - if we have Dicko and Graham available for most of the campaign I think we'd be ok even if Ken inexplicably stays.

Burton will likely be a way out of their depth and they've limped over the line. If Walsall come up I think they would also badly lack the quality and resources needed.

Blackburn are in a horrific mess and have barely anyone contracted for next season, will badly struggle.

Rotherham will always struggle at this level and I don't think Colin will stay.

Fulham have had two desperate seasons and there's nothing to suggest they are going to improve.

Forest are managed in an incredibly haphazard fashion and they're going nowhere fast.

Bristol City are a poor team and will be likely to be fighting the drop again.

Who knows what Cellino will rustle up at Leeds, could be anything (well, except promotion).

Of course it's sad we even have to contemplate the prospect but let's not overestimate the quality of the bottom half of this league, we are crap and there are still worse teams than us.

As for relegation next season - if we have Dicko and Graham available for most of the campaign I think we'd be ok even if Ken inexplicably stays.

Burton will likely be a way out of their depth and they've limped over the line. If Walsall come up I think they would also badly lack the quality and resources needed.

Blackburn are in a horrific mess and have barely anyone contracted for next season, will badly struggle.

Rotherham will always struggle at this level and I don't think Colin will stay.

Fulham have had two desperate seasons and there's nothing to suggest they are going to improve.

Forest are managed in an incredibly haphazard fashion and they're going nowhere fast.

Bristol City are a poor team and will be likely to be fighting the drop again.

Who knows what Cellino will rustle up at Leeds, could be anything (well, except promotion).

Of course it's sad we even have to contemplate the prospect but let's not overestimate the quality of the bottom half of this league, we are crap and there are still worse teams than us.

I'd confidently wager that Bristol City will finish above Wolves next season, if we don't change the manager.

i would never do that

Johnson is a good manager. If they reign in their ludicrous ambition in the transfer market and strengthen the squad they'll have a good season. Kodija could tear the league up with this season under his belt.

We need a new manager badly. The squad and players are stagnating under Jackett, and results reflect that. We've seen plenty of times at other clubs how a different manager can make a difference with the same players. We can only hope that we get new owners who bin Jackett off.

I still find it hard to believe that Jackett is still here. He's the most incompetent manager I've ever known, and that includes Connor, Saunders, Chung and Docherty. It's bloody embarrassing. I shan't be going to any more Wolves matches while Jackett remains.

There's no way he is worse than Saunders.

Agreed. KJ has had an absolute mare this season and has run his course here but that prat is on a different planet of shit.

KJ has run his course here, but nobody gets into the category that Saunders did

No one can say that there is more quality in this squad than we have seen this season if managed well

Not enough to get promotion probably, but more than enough to challenge for the playoff places, even if ultimately we don't get there

Even without changes another Manager could well get us to that situation - so if its Kenny gone or new improved players then the former will have a bigger impact as I have no confidence that improved players would help with the current management

Agreed, nobody gets close to Saunders shit

While I agree its time for KJ to step down (thanks for all you've done Ken) as he's taken us as far as he can with his ability, I'm not sure many of the current squad are Championship/play-off contenders, perhaps Price and Iorfa but not much else. Last season we pushed up to 7th on the back of Sako/Afobe and Dicko, its possible we could do the similar with Dicko and Graham............if they can stay fit for more than third of the season.

Back