• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Dicko & Graham (when he is able to return) will improve us, probably not enough to do serious damage at the top but better than this season in an attacking sense (as long as they come back the same as they were before - which is not a given considering the injuries they have had)

Just have little confidence that the current management structure will get the best out of what is available

Agree with what Deutsch said earlier - there will be some weak teams in here next season so we will, I suspect, not flirt too much with the wrong end of the table

Saunders is the biggest joke to ever manage. Kenny has had a bad season!!

Lots of people have said this (not just you NWW) but if you look at his career he has reverted to type. Not a bad season for Jackett this is his normal.

He is far from incompetent. Actually amazed people think that. Like all managers he has a level. His is getting a team to be an average Championship team. That was fine when we were League 1 and last season, with the help of 3 outstanding attacking players, he got more from the team. We should be shaking KJ's hand thanking him for his work and wishing him all the best. We should already know who we want to make the step up.

We won't though and if we did we would probably end up with Graham Westley.

He is far from incompetent. Actually amazed people think that. Like all managers he has a level. His is getting a team to be an average Championship team. That was fine when we were League 1 and last season, with the help of 3 outstanding attacking players, he got more from the team. We should be shaking KJ's hand thanking him for his work and wishing him all the best. We should already know who we want to make the step up.

Agree with this - for all that I've wanted him out for six months now and his football has been horrific to watch all season, I don't bear him any particular malice, I don't think he is an intrinsically terrible manager, it's just time up and has been for some time. He's had ample time to sort out this mess and there's no progress at all.

I'll always be grateful for the job he did when he came in, for all that people say League One should have been a cakewalk (and there is some merit to that) there are plenty of big clubs who've gone down to that level and not come straight back up, Sheffield United are going to start their sixth straight season in the third tier next time up. Then we did play a lot of good stuff last season and it was Ken who signed Dicko and Afobe, you can't give him no credit because we had good players when he was the one who snapped them up. To compare him to Saunders is just ludicrous; yeah, the snapshot of our final 20 games will probably be marginally worse than the 20 games he managed (I use the term loosely), but in every other respect it's night and day. I wouldn't have Saunders managing a pub team, unless it was a pub earmarked for imminent demolition and we sent him in to do his team talk just at the right time.

Same applies with the "this is the most bored I've ever been with Wolves" stuff, oh really? It's pretty much exactly the same as the Hoddle days from where I'm sitting, dull football with tepid mid-table results, just Ken for all his faults doesn't come across as if he's doing us a massive favour for deigning to grant his precious time to our club. I also doubt Ken will spend May and June doing nothing, signing and scouting no-one and then leave us just as pre-season's about to start with hardly any players (after everyone else in the division's been busy signing players we could have had and would have improved us) and no manager. You think our squad's rubbish now, look at what was left here on 1 July 2006. Someone please tell me how that was a better situation than what we have now and how anyone could possibly have felt more engaged then than they do now.

He has to go, I don't really want to watch his teams play any more (I still do though...mug) and I think there are plenty of managers who could do a much better job even with limited resources, but there's got to be some perspective. He's also not the only one to blame for how things have unravelled in the space of nine months, as I outlined on the previous transfer thread Jez's leadership (or lack of) is seriously poor.

I think there was enough in there to get a top six even allowing for injuries but it would have taken somebody else to do it. The one constant in his reign is that if we are attack minded we concede and when we are defensively minded we don't score. There is no in between and that really is a damning indictment.

Haven't the foggiest what he was trying to do from the off moving Dave wide left and Dicko sulked and looked out of it until his injury. He has tried every permutation possible and tended to get more regressive until the next tinker and the cycle would continue again. As a result of the degeneration we lose our top striker and our best midfielder gets frozen out. The only other midfielder with a few braincells has more in's and out's than the hokey cokey. We go from a possession based/passing ??? (use that term loosely) team to one that is focused on physicality and we have no defined or inspirational leadership anywhere within in the club.

I think that's a great summary DW.
+1. I'm not as disengaged as I was under Hoddle as Kenny does care, but as there are so many mistakes he keeps on repeating, Jack Price being the most obvious. I do hate that after I picked my son up from a party yesterday he wanted to know the Prem scores before the Wolves one though, it feels that's on you Kenny

I think there was enough in there to get a top six even allowing for injuries but it would have taken somebody else to do it. The one constant in his reign is that if we are attack minded we concede and when we are defensively minded we don't score. There is no in between and that really is a damning indictment.

Haven't the foggiest what he was trying to do from the off moving Dave wide left and Dicko sulked and looked out of it until his injury. He has tried every permutation possible and tended to get more regressive until the next tinker and the cycle would continue again. As a result of the degeneration we lose our top striker and our best midfielder gets frozen out. The only other midfielder with a few braincells has more in's and out's than the hokey cokey. We go from a possession based/passing ??? (use that term loosely) team to one that is focused on physicality and we have no defined or inspirational leadership anywhere within in the club.
How Dicko looked pre injury worries me. We will really need him next year, I hope without Sako he switches on, he did seem to be sulking this year or resented the way Afobe was being indulged by Jackett at that point with his Wayne Rooney lite impression

Dicko was fine before the injury. He played well vs Blackburn, Hull & QPR (until Jackett decided to sub him for some random reason).

QPR he didn't play very well. And you could see him arguing with the bench on and off for a good fifteen minutes at the end of the first half. Against Charlton there was clearly something wrong, as in he looked extremely pissed off and in a sulk.

Agree with every word there too Dan!

Dunno if he was sulking before his injury, but if he was and returns with an "attitude" then he won't last long and will need replacing...tbh I'm more concerned that he has had 2 major injuries in 2 seasons

Would anybody say Sako has ' cut it ' in the PL this year?

While I wouldn't discount his ten minutes of genius in a Wolves shirt each game I never thought he was anything better than I'd seen before at Molineux.

* Ducks*

QPR he didn't play very well. And you could see him arguing with the bench on and off for a good fifteen minutes at the end of the first half. Against Charlton there was clearly something wrong, as in he looked extremely pissed off and in a sulk.

Agree with every word there too Dan!

He was fine vs QPR, subbing him at half time was a shocking decision. For the first half an hour we were excellent and Nouha was heavily involved in that, then QPR sussed out the rhombus and took advantage of the space Edwards was offering them down the left with Matty Phillips. Kenny Jackett's reaction to that was to blame Dicko for not closing down enough and sub him for le Fondre.

Did Dicko even play in the Cardiff shitfest? He had 3-4 games where he was doing fine but not tearing defences up like he was the season before and you've got Wolves fans questioning his ability/attitude. I think it's absolutely absurd.

Appreciate it was only a friendly but he was excellent vs Villa as well.

If the knee is fine we've got one of the best centre forwards in the division.

While I wouldn't discount his ten minutes of genius in a Wolves shirt each game I never thought he was anything better than I'd seen before at Molineux.

* Ducks*

I wouldn't 'duck' - Sako could well be briliant, but had enough games for us when he was anonymous - never quite sure that he was going to light up the Premier league

His season has been badly interrupted by injuries. It'd be unfair to cast him as being out of his depth. He deserves another shot next season for sure.

Sako seemed to start off pretty well but then dogged by injury I think

No surprise he picked up muscle injuries when he didn't get round to signing for anyone until three days before the start of the season. He's had some good moments, there is a lot of competition in the wide areas at Palace though and the difference is if he has one of his off days there (and we know when he is bad, he looks truly terrible) he gets shoved back on the bench for a few weeks. That happened here and he played the next match regardless as he was one of our key players.

If Dicko is up for it he is the best forward in this division by a distance. If he stays healthy and motivated we'll be up around the playoffs, even if KJ is still here.

* Ducks*

No he hasn't, but hasn't had his chances really I suppose?

He started off brilliantly then got injured. Since then hasn't been able to have a consistent run of games really. Might be better with a full pre-season like Dan said.

Back