• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

\o/

Who needs confirmation.

We'll spend what we want, we'll spend what we want. Screw Morgan and Moxey, we'll spend what we want.

It is thought the Brazilian, 22, would get a work permit more easily in the Championship.

Why?

Something to do with a points system the Premier League uses but the Football League doesn't. We're very much a stepping stone to greater things here (if it's true) but I can't quite bring myself to care.

Something to do with a points system the Premier League uses but the Football League doesn't. We're very much a stepping stone to greater things here (if it's true) but I can't quite bring myself to care.

Ah ok, cheers.

This won't be popular and I'm sure I will be in a minority of one, but I really don't want us spending £21m on a player in the Championship, be it this guy or any other. Expectations will go through the roof, other teams and supporters will hate us, media will put pressure on usand particularly the player who will be the best part of double the amount anyone has spent before in this league, it would upset the players already there which we can't bin off all in one go. I just don't want to be that club at the moment. Quality signings at £3-£5m a pop is what I'd like to see. Leave the £21m until if and when we get up. To be honest this takeover makes me as anxious as it does excited, the influence of Mendes and the fact there have been more bad foreign owners than good ones being why.

Are you Mick McCarthy??

This won't be popular and I'm sure I will be in a minority of one, but I really don't want us spending £21m on a player in the Championship, be it this guy or any other. Expectations will go through the roof, other teams and supporters will hate us, media will put pressure on usand particularly the player who will be the best part of double the amount anyone has spent before in this league, it would upset the players already there which we can't bin off all in one go. I just don't want to be that club at the moment. Quality signings at £3-£5m a pop is what I'd like to see. Leave the £21m until if and when we get up. To be honest this takeover makes me as anxious as it does excited, the influence of Mendes and the fact there have been more bad foreign owners than good ones being why.

I agree with you.

I'm very wary of becoming a pawn to Mendes.

I understand that. However this is a proper statement of intent if it happens. I can see us spending an unprecedented sum in the Championship. And if that brings pressure, then so be it.

We will be able to shift plenty of the current players as well should we need to. And we can afford to hold onto them if we can't, or send them on season loans if needs be.

I want us to assemble a squad to devastate this division. If Mendes helps then great.

And the Wop awakens!

This is hilarious, amazing and ridiculously exciting. I don't care if we spend our way in to Europe, what a journey we've got ahead of us!

I think you'd struggle to find a club who hasn't spent their way to success - we spent a fair-ish whack getting out of the Championship last time and also wasted money in the Premier League on bog standard squad players. We rarely improved the first eleven and were something like the sixth highest spenders in the division over those two years.

Leicester have spent money to get where they are. There's just a difference between spending cleverly and blowing money for the sake of it (a la QPR).

I agree, I mean I'm happy that a takeover seems to be only a matter of time but spending obscene money on players in The Championship that would even make QPR blush makes me feel uneasy especially with Mendes involved knowing what he's done to Valencia I do have doubts about what his intentions will be.

No, you're absolutely not in a minority of one. A competent manager assembling a team of football league "all stars" (for want of a better term) will easily get us out of the Championship. I emphatically don't want is manipulated by Mendes into paying twice what his clients are worth. And what the hell will £21m on one player (plus wages) do to team spirit?

I do get this argument but what team spirit are we likely to be destroying here?

The team spirit of a team that limped it's way to a disappointing 14th place finish? Replace those that aren't good enough, I doubt we are going to spend £200m. The majority of signings will be at the £3-5m level but if we have the opportunity to acquire somebody of outstanding ability then we should go for it.

We are not trying to go QPR on overpaid has been, this lad is 21-22 and will likely bring in more when we inevitably sell him to a Champions League club in a few years time.

I've always said this, but it really is irrelevant to us fans what a club spends on a player or wages.

Like you say, there is a clear contrast in the targets from the QPR model.

Frankly, if a load of the current squad aren't happy then that is just the way of it. They will either show they are good enough and see an increase in rewards, or they will move on. There clearly is a low morale anyway at the moment so this is a good time to get this done for me.

I think a player earning more than others destroying team spirit is overplayed a bit anyway. Not saying it doesn't happen but in general players understand that others will earn more based on a whole host of different criteria, experience, previous club etc. It's just the nature of football, and if you were scared of that every time you considered signing a player you'd never improve your team significantly enough to do anything in the grand scheme of things.

We are not trying to go QPR on overpaid has been, this lad is 21-22 and will likely bring in more when we inevitably sell him to a Champions League club in a few years time.

This is it for me. If we accept that it is Li that is buying us money is no longer object so it doesn't matter if we're paying over the odds for Mendes' clients. If we have the opportunity to see players like M'Baye Niang, Ivan Cavaliero and Anderson Talisca at Molineux, even if it is only for a season, we should 100% go for it. These are some of the most exciting young players in Europe.

Back