• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Pinched off a friend, 'All those screaming for a marque signing, think yourselves lucky, last season we couldn't even afford a marque.'

Pinilla is a bit of an enigma. Comes across as a journeyman on paper but when he gets the right fit with the right club, he can be lethal. I'd be very happy with him and I suspect at his age, he would bring the experience & know how we need. Plus Zenga should be able to bring the best out in him.

Pinched off a friend, 'All those screaming for a marque signing, think yourselves lucky, last season we couldn't even afford a marque.'

Some fans are just far too tense about a marquee signing.

giphy.gif

I for one am quite happy without a marquee signing: it's teams/squads that get you out of the Championship, not individual players. But does anyone else ultimately think Walter will go for a 4-4-2? With Bod, Mason, presumably Gladon, possibly Pinilla and Dicko coming back, that's a lot of strikers to sit on the bench in a 4231. Not to mention Bright and Ennis, one or both of whom must surely be going out on loan?

I for one am quite happy without a marquee signing: it's teams/squads that get you out of the Championship, not individual players. But does anyone else ultimately think Walter will go for a 4-4-2? With Bod, Mason, presumably Gladon, possibly Pinilla and Dicko coming back, that's a lot of strikers to sit on the bench in a 4231. Not to mention Bright and Ennis, one or both of whom must surely be going out on loan?

Bright & Ennis will be used in the Under 23 league this season - pretty sure they won't be loaned out. Most teams will have 4 x proper first team forwards to compete for 1 or 2 places (depending on formation) - so Dicko, Bod, Mason + a new signing seems about right.

All my opinion, of course.

We are seeing Walter introduce more footballers into the team with good skill sets rather than athletic ability the key to player selection. System wise I think he will settle down with a 4-1-4-1 but within that give players more license to be expressive rather than retain shape at all times. Under Jackett players became to frightened to move and were very predictable.

I wanted a complete overhaul of the players and coaching staff, to the extent that we can challenge for promotion.

8 new signings - most of which appear to be very good and improve what we already have - and the verve brought to the club by Zenga, with more signings and plenty of resources to use is more than I could have wished for at this stage. You can't even begin to argue that we've been too quiet in the transfer market, which is usually the biggest gripe with less than a week to go before the window closes.

I think those clamouring for a 'marquee signing' are mainly those who tend to view players on their name rather than their attributes. More of a 'show' thing, that awful phrase 'statement of intent'. It's bollocks, basically. If we bring in a well known name, great - so long as he fits our style and is actually better than what we have.

We have become a wealthy club but I would hope we use that money wisely, not as a willy waving contest for some of our fans to goad fans of other clubs with.

A marquee signing like .... Roger Johnson or Jaimie O Hara or Ade Akinbiyi which were all considered great signings when they happened. Not for me thanks. There is a steady stream of young skillful new blood so far this window. It will take a little time to gel. Lets give this lot time to do the business. You may want a couple extra this window but there is no need to spunk 20 million on a player just because we can. We already seem streets ahead of last season and we have spent very little. New Day new dawn and Im feeling good.

All these international signings remind me of whenever I played FM years ago and signed all these players from Europe my scouts rated 7 stars. I hope it works out (SFSG) and isn't just an agent circlejerk. The pudding will be when they make transfers for players already in England.

I fucking hate the term "Marquee Signing".

Fucking E&S using that term after learning the Aussie League uses it to describe a player they can sign outside of the wage structure.

Being linked with the likes of Balotelli & Talisca are heightening the profile of the club in the wider, general scheme of things.

I'm happy if we don't sign those types of player and actually buy lads who want to come here and play for Zenga & the shirt (like Bod). The extra publicity from being linked to that other big name players isn't a bad thing if we're doing well.

What could be seen as a marquee signing finance wise could buy you a very average player. Look at some of the fees being quoted in the last 24 hours, Vydra for £8.5m, Oliveira for £5m. I wouldn't want either of those for half the cost.

Of the players we've signed since Jeff and his pals took over, I knew a fair bit about CBJ, a little of Bod and John and absolutely nothing of the other 6 assuming the latest 2 get over the line. We will have spent something like £8m+ loan fees, so about the price of one Vydra. It's way too early to know if this will be successful, but at the moment I know which approach I prefer.

A marquee signing like .... Roger Johnson or Jaimie O Hara or Ade Akinbiyi which were all considered great signings when they happened. Not for me thanks. There is a steady stream of young skillful new blood so far this window. It will take a little time to gel. Lets give this lot time to do the business. You may want a couple extra this window but there is no need to spunk 20 million on a player just because we can. We already seem streets ahead of last season and we have spent very little. New Day new dawn and Im feeling good.

And we're streets ahead of page one of this thread. No-one, but no-one, on page one of the thread (well, maybe except Frank) would have predicted that we could win a game on August 27th and potentially go top of the league - with billionaire owners and about 10 new signings.

Back