• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Agreed. A marquee signing might raise our profile but probably wouldn't benefit a team in our position. It surely has to be bad for morale when one or two players get all the headlines and inflated wages. That sort of thing can wait until the latter stages of Fosun’s grand strategy, when we can seriously think about European football returning to Molineux. For now we need a good solid pool of talent to take us up. Overall, I’m delighted with the way the team has been strengthened so far. A bit more of the same during the next week will do for me.

Indeed. We need a squad capable of challenging for promotion, interchangeable players who can all do a job when needed without any 'superstars'. As Jeff said, buy smart.

I wanted a complete overhaul of the players and coaching staff, to the extent that we can challenge for promotion.

8 new signings - most of which appear to be very good and improve what we already have - and the verve brought to the club by Zenga, with more signings and plenty of resources to use is more than I could have wished for at this stage. You can't even begin to argue that we've been too quiet in the transfer market, which is usually the biggest gripe with less than a week to go before the window closes.
To be honest, I didn't think we needed a total overhaul of the playing staff. And Zenga hasn't drastically changed the first 11, nor to some extent the matchday 18. We knew we had a fair few decent players with ability, who were being poorly managed last season, producing drossball. General consensus seemed to be we have between 6-8 players, with one or two jurys out players, together with some dross we've signed or weren't interested. I'm glad we've binned off McDonald for example (I'd have liked to have done this a couple of years ago), and I also feel a few first choices last year (eg Henry) are only squad players, not starters. Zenga appears to have acknowledged this, together with getting the team to go forwards, not sideways or backwards. Time will tell whether this is a temporary bounce, or a long term plan being effected.

I believe evolution rather than evolution was the way to go forward. I do feel with the loan signings that is how we are trying to progress. Fosun are using contacts (eg Mendes) but in their own way. Resources may not be an issue, yet we're still minimising our risk by not signing foreign players on 4 year deals, but loaning them to see how they settle in the country and with the squad. Some will work out. Some may not even play. Zenga gets a good period of time to assess the squad (til January, or even til next summer) and where he feels we're short. It also means that the recruitment team get time to gel and understand each other too. No doubt off field staff are being appraised by Fosun, as well as on field staff.

I think those clamouring for a 'marquee signing' are mainly those who tend to view players on their name rather than their attributes. More of a 'show' thing, that awful phrase 'statement of intent'. It's bollocks, basically. If we bring in a well known name, great - so long as he fits our style and is actually better than what we have.

We have become a wealthy club but I would hope we use that money wisely, not as a willy waving contest for some of our fans to goad fans of other clubs with.
marquee signing can be name, wages or fee. None of thos interest me too much, it is what they bring. Your last sentence is bang on.

What could be seen as a marquee signing finance wise could buy you a very average player. Look at some of the fees being quoted in the last 24 hours, Vydra for £8.5m, Oliveira for £5m. I wouldn't want either of those for half the cost.

Of the players we've signed since Jeff and his pals took over, I knew a fair bit about CBJ, a little of Bod and John and absolutely nothing of the other 6 assuming the latest 2 get over the line. We will have spent something like £8m+ loan fees, so about the price of one Vydra. It's way too early to know if this will be successful, but at the moment I know which approach I prefer.
Difficult to disagree with any of this.

Indeed. We need a squad capable of challenging for promotion, interchangeable players who can all do a job when needed without any 'superstars'. As Jeff said, buy smart.

Agree with this, particularly as Walter is favouring a policy of rotation and is clearly selecting the team based on his view of the oppositions likely tactics.

There is obviously money available if needed, but we have not spent heavily yet (the large outlay linked re Talisca was never a realistic probability - more likely profile raising by Mendes), but have improved the squad so that there are options which don't reduce the quality of the team which was not always the position last season. Plus some of last years stock have responded to the new management style (some haven't & probably will be going out).

We also have some useful additions to come back from injury (Dicko/Graham) who will hopefully be able to return to the level that they have shown themselves capable of.

If we are challenging in January then would expect more improvement then - all in all a very satisfactory position to be in

I said a couple of weeks ago that it would be silly to spend massive amounts of money immediately, if you're Fosun - get loans in now that you can cancel in January if needed, get in some other cheap signings who can fill squad places, improve the obvious shortcomings in the squad, and then attend to backroom matters like coaching and scouting. Then, come January, they'll know exactly what kind of signings will be best value for improving our chances of promotion, in the same way that Boro splashed out on Rhodes last season (or indeed how we bought Clarke in League One).

Basically, if we get a "marquee" signing, I'm expecting it after Christmas.

I agree that the squad wasn't too bad, if Dicko, Graham and Zyro hadn't suffered long term injuries that alone would have made a massive difference.

I think our transfer dealings so far have been very clever and have improved every area of the squad. When you consider we have spent less than several clubs have paid for Ross McCormack we look very shrewd.

I think it would have been silly to throw around big money before Zenga has at least half a season to evaluate the current players and identifies what he thinks he is lacking.

there is NO such thing as a 'Marquee' signing

There is a 'top marque' and there is a marquee.

I'll quite happily stand corrected if someone can demonstrate to me where a big tent applies to a football transfer

there is NO such thing as a 'Marquee' signing

There is a 'top marque' and there is a marquee.

I'll quite happily stand corrected if someone can demonstrate to me where a big tent applies to a football transfer

Marquee as a noun is a tent.
Marquee as a adjective is the main attraction.

It's originally an American usage, but is now idiomatic here:

marquee /Ⴀmɑːˈkiː/ Ⴂnoun 1 chiefly British a large tent used for social or commercial functions. 2 (North American) a roof-like projection over the entrance to a theatre, hotel, or other building. 3 [as modifier] (North American) leading; pre-eminent: a marquee player. (Concise Oxford English Dictionary.)

Yep, and 'marque' is generally used a make of car. But we don't need to worry about that as Duffy has just been sold by Rovers...

Agreed. Thought Saiss would be announced first.

I saw a French article earlier today which seemed to think the clubs are yet to come to an agreement. The player has agreed terms and passed a medical so maybe we're just haggling on price/payment terms?

Apparently our new man Paul conspired to miss two penalties in under a minute against Willem II last weekend.

Aguero missed two pens against Bucharest the other week :icon_wink:
Not in the same minute though, granted.

Back