• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Has our scouting team not earned enough credit from Bod/Tex/the others to be given a chance without being torn apart? Let's just wait till we see the poor lad play.

First, let's wait until he bloody signs.

Has our scouting team not earned enough credit from Bod/Tex/the others to be given a chance without being torn apart? Let's just wait till we see the poor lad play

I still don't trust Thelwell enough and if you look at the players Mendes has a hand in (Tex, Costa, John and Silvio), Ludo Pollet (Prince, Saiss), Butti (CBJ) it leaves you with Lonergan and Bod. Bod has been great, Lonergan has been what I thought he would be, average to poor. If you tack on Mason, Helan and Coady from last season I don't think he has earned him or his team any gratis at all.

It'll be an interesting window that's for sure and I don't think we're finished yet.

As I said when his name was mentioned for the first time earlier today, possibly the first uninspiring player to be rumoured as a target. On paper, he looks bang average. Harsh to judge the lad when I've never seen him play, but going on all the facts, surely we can do better?

I agree on paper it probably doesn't look a great signing but take Iceland's performance at the Euro's away and exactly the same would have been said about Bodvarsson. In fact i would say a lot of our fans didn't know who Bod was even though they had seen him play for Iceland and so just said he was a good signing. I have no idea how good he is but reverse the roles and put Gladon in that Iceland team and i think a lot of people would be saying great signing.

He might turn out to be absolutely shite but if we sign him i'll give him a chance and lets see how he goes.

I still don't trust Thelwell enough and if you look at the players Mendes has a hand in (Tex, Costa, John and Silvio), Ludo Pollet (Prince, Saiss), Butti (CBJ) it leaves you with Lonergan and Bod. Bod has been great, Lonergan has been what I thought he would be, average to poor. If you tack on Mason, Helan and Coady from last season I don't think he has earned him or his team any gratis at all.

It'll be an interesting window that's for sure and I don't think we're finished yet.

Dicko was Thelwell's signing tbf as were Hause and Evans (we paid less than £1m for those three combined)

Has our scouting team not earned enough credit from Bod/Tex/the others to be given a chance without being torn apart? Let's just wait till we see the poor lad play.

Agreed. Don't quite understand why sine fans are so determined to be outraged over this.

Isn't it a bit speculative to say that any connections those players may have had have overriden our scouting team?

I doubt Mendes has come in and said "sign these blokes" and we've done it even if Thelwell has objected.

Isn't it a bit speculative to say that any connections those players may have had have overriden our scouting team?

I doubt Mendes has come in and said "sign these blokes" and we've done it even if Thelwell has objected.

No it isn't speculative, it's basic extrapolation, not a huge leap of faith. Ludo Pollet I believe has been directly linked to both French players.

Mendes has a clear link with Fosun and our scouting team has shown no inclination to recruiting Portuguese players before, particularly those from Befica or links with Mendes as an agent. We don't actually know if Bod was scouted or had connections with anybody out of the scouting team, what we do know is Thewell was scouting the Euro's so that isn't a huge leap either.

Butti was in Manchester the day before CBJ signed so not exactly out of the blue.

It seems our scouting system is pretty shite to be honest and it has been for quite a few years. Even under Mick it was poor and I have no reason to think it had gotten any better.

What Thelwell looks adept at is buying a decent youth team to come through, that I can't argue with but then he also did that job for Derby and they have produced one or two over the last few years too.

Thelwell's 1st team purchases with Javkett in this division by and large have been very poor (Afobe aside).

Know nothing about him - he may turn out to be great & he may well not. If he signs then doubt that we are risking many £s

Whatever club you are & however much you pay no one get every purchase right - he may just fit into our squad perfectly & do well as a result when he hasn't elsewhere.

For my part the signings made this season so far will allow me to accept a crap one within that (we've had others before without causing us to collapse entirely)

To be fair nobody really has been freaking out about this, his record has been mentioned, a couple of us have reported what people we know who have seen him have to say but have still said lets see how he goes etc. Not really the negative over reaction suggested here.

To be fair nobody really has been freaking out about this, his record has been mentioned, a couple of us have reported what people we know who have seen him have to say but have still said lets see how he goes etc. Not really the negative over reaction suggested here.

On twitter there is.

Agreed. Don't quite understand why sine fans are so determined to be outraged over this.

Don't think anyone is being "outraged" on here. Just saying that his figures don't look great on paper. Pretty sure if he were to sign we'd all get behind him. Suppose this was always going to happen having been linked to the likes of Chris Martin.

Don't think anyone is being "outraged" on here. Just saying that his figures don't look great on paper. Pretty sure if he were to sign we'd all get behind him. Suppose this was always going to happen having been linked to the likes of Chris Martin.

Not on here.

I am prepared to forget about players KT may have had a hand in pre-Fosun, eg. Lonergan, as he was operating under a completely different remit then to what he is now, it's a blank page with him as far as I'm concerned. I am just happy the others have gone.

Just watching the Youtube compilation of Gladon and he certainly knows how to finish and could be another clinical outlet for the legwork of the others.

I am impressed with them unearthing Bod who looks a great signing so am prepared to trust their judgment for the time being

First, let's wait until he bloody signs.

More or less this for pretty much every potential signing. It's a bit frustrating when people start slating recruitment or whatever based on what may well be a rumour only

The thing is, if we were linked with say, Lukas Jutkiewicz (as we were a couple of years ago) then I wouldn't have a problem with him being derided as there have been more than enough opportunities for people to watch him attempt to play football and it's apparent that he is appalling. When it's a guy who next to no-one had heard of 24 hours ago and the sole resource available is just his career record...less so.

When we signed Benik Afobe he'd scored a grand total of four league goals above League One level in a four year professional career, if you were just looking at those figures you'd be minded to draw the conclusion that it was a bit of a punt of a signing that could go either way and a lot of money for a bloke with not much of a track record. But as people had actually watched him play and could see he had plenty going for him, the reaction was almost universally positive.

The thing is, if we were linked with say, Lukas Jutkiewicz (as we were a couple of years ago) then I wouldn't have a problem with him being derided as there have been more than enough opportunities for people to watch him attempt to play football and it's apparent that he is appalling. When it's a guy who next to no-one had heard of 24 hours ago and the sole resource available is just his career record...less so.

When we signed Benik Afobe he'd scored a grand total of four league goals above League One level in a four year professional career, if you were just looking at those figures you'd be minded to draw the conclusion that it was a bit of a punt of a signing that could go either way and a lot of money for a bloke with not much of a track record. But as people had actually watched him play and could see he had plenty going for him, the reaction was almost universally positive.
I was the one who doubted Benik. The only one. :icon_wink:

It's always a bit of a crapshoot. Even under LvG, who would have guessed Di Maria would flop so hard? Not I, certainly.

Back