• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

We get a lot of Scandinavians vacationing here and they're far better speakers of English than any of the locals.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Tony, kind of.
Scandinavia is extremely UK/US fixated, a couple of times I was one of those Scandinavians dazzling everyone over there. :)

Thanks tredman. Just feels like my grammar is a bit wobbly. To be expected I suppose.

From your posts it's not obvious that they are written by somebody foreign, your English is excellent

I had Danish Au Pairs looking after my children. Their English was fantastic at 17/19 years old. The Italian French, Spanish au pairs were not so well spoken or written but all were far better than I was as an Englishman at ANY of their languages

I find most foreign players over here speak English with more articulation and intelligence than most of their English counterparts

From your posts it's not obvious that they are written by somebody foreign, your English is excellent
Thanks. I've been to England twice and USA twice (about 4 months total), that makes me about 0.3% British and American!

Man it's scary driving on the wrong side, especially when passenger. :icon_mrgreen:

I find most foreign players over here speak English with more articulation and intelligence than most of their English counterparts
Low bar and all that..

I noticed on Wolves player they heavily emphasised not to believe some of the recent rumours felt like they were Talking about Talisca. Perhaps it is the epic wind up some people were predicting.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Very true but there will always be rumours and they went out their way to make the point. I think we all accept 80% or so of rumours are complete nonsense. The Talisca rumour seems to have been around for a while now so it felt like that's what they were hinting at.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I'm still impressed, people never correct me (the little mistakes) when I write English because overall I'm making myself understood. Therefore I think I'm better than I actually am. :)

If it wasn't for your username I wouldn't even know that you were Norwegian, you have an excellent command of English. As someone who as absolutely no capacity for learning other languages its something that always amazes me

If it wasn't for your username I wouldn't even know that you were Norwegian, you have an excellent command of English. As someone who as absolutely no capacity for learning other languages its something that always amazes me
Helps to be really interested, you probably have other interests instead. :)

I am always impressed by how well the Scandinavians can speak English. I was in Sweden and they had a better grasp of it than me.

I am always impressed by how well the Scandinavians can speak English. I was in Sweden and they had a better grasp of it than me.

I know this to be the case as my brother in law is Danish - his english is better than most of the indigenous population (though then again so is his Spanish, German, Russian & Italian - then again he is the European sales director for a Danish furniture manufacturers & he spends his time traversing Europe)

Because English is the dominant "international" language it makes British/USA natives lazy. When abroad it's quite common to hear say a German and an Italian having a conversation in English because it's a shared language.
This may change in years to come with the rise of China but as someone who sometimes deals with the Chinese, I'm informed that they like English as its a language that's easier to express New ideas in apparently.

I'm really hoping we can make a new signing before the Reading game, but although it's early days and we've only played 2 games, I am encouraged by the start the new signings have made. It seems that Teixiera, Bodvarsson and Costa have been the 3 most encouraging performers thus far. That's also partly down to some pretty flat displays from the rest of the squad but even so - let's hope the next glut of signings also make a positive impact.

Mason, Wallace and Price aside, it doesn't seem like any of the old guard are making a particularly good name for themselves at the moment. Disappointing as I thought they would be fighting to be part of the new era.

Mason, Wallace and Price aside, it doesn't seem like any of the old guard are making a particularly good name for themselves at the moment. Disappointing as I thought they would be fighting to be part of the new era.

My thoughts exactly although I think Hause & Iorfa have potential but they need an experienced player next to guide them

I would also give chances to Graham and Zyro when fit

Apart from those 7 - the rest I hope will not be here in 12 months time !!

Back