• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

Now that is something i've wanted to see in my 20 odd years of supporting Wolves. Yes it was only a friendly but if it all goes tits up i will remember the day when we looked like a side with a plan and everyone knew what their job was. We actually have real football tactics and ones that involve playing football, it's brilliant. Apart from when Vardy got away once we looked solid and Ruddy should have been out much quicker and got there before him. If this is a sign of what's to come then this season is going to be good, we're possibly a striker away from promotion.

Atmosphere was decent in the Southbank for a friendly too and i can't wait for the noise that a full house makes next week.

Players:-

Ruddy - Apart from when he was too slow to come and Vardy went past him he was solid and he kicks so well especially when we've been watching the likes of Lonergan/Ikeme/Burgoyne. I think he will be a good signing.

Miranda - Don't think he made a mistake, looks solid and can pass it out from the back. A lot bigger presence than he looks to and left his mark on Slimani.

Coady - He was first class. The block on the line looked impossible but that wasn't that impressive when compared to the rest of his play. Organised, directed, bossed the game from centre back. Vardy got in once but Coady had him in his back pocket for the rest of the game and he looked comfortable on the ball and got us playing. I wasn't sure about him at centre back and he could struggle if a side stick a big lad on him but hard not to be impressed today.

Boly - Absolute man mountain and seems to glide across the ground and will be so hard to beat. Looks a great signing and could see him becoming a crowd favourite.

Doherty - Played ok at right wing back but i think it shows we need someone else. Several times we played some fantastic football and then it got to Doc who put in a poor cross or played a poor pass. Should have scored and i think looked better getting forward once he switched sides but he ain't getting in front of Baz.

Douglas - What a difference a left back makes. Looks comfortable going forward and defensively. Won a number of headers despite not being the biggest and he can't half cross. If we find a striker that gets into the box he could have a hat full. Going to be a key player and looks snip at £1 million.

Neves - Rolls Royce footballer. Just makes it look so easy and i'd hate to be in a midfield having to play against him. Sprays passes for fun, Intercepts well and not afraid to tackle. Every bit a £15 million pound footballer imo.

Saiss - Neves will get the headlines because he'e Neves but Saiss was just as good if not better today. He made the game look so easy and barely gave the ball away if he did at all. No idea what happened at Shrewsbury but this was the Saiss we need. Picks out forward passes for fun when he has players to pass to. First choice next to Neves for me all day long.

Bright - Fuck sending him out on loan. He might be frustrating but the boy can't half play. He's so good technically and once he's got a bit more experience he could be some footballer. He didn't look out of place at all and makes players look silly with some of the things he does. Once he gets a goal it could make a massive difference to the quickness of his decision making as he won't be so apprehensive. Honestly could watch him play all day and i'm fascinated to see whether he can become the player he could be.

Cav - Actually lead the line quite well and gave Morgan in particular a lot to think about. Won headers and put them under pressure while being a little sloppy in possession and then bang. What a striker and as soon as he hit it you knew it was in, could be a big season for him.

Jota- Grew in to the game and great composure to play the ball to Cav at the right time. Couple of decent shots half blocked and will cause defences in this league problems. One very good sign was when Maguire absolutely hammered him he got up dusted himself off and got on with it, for all that it was a shocking challenge.

SUBS - The subs obviously changed the game and Leicester got hold of the ball more in midfield for a while. Edwards seemed to be running all over the place and left gaps between him and Price and Zyro looked a touch off it. Graham looked good again though, he whipped in one great ball that Ronan slightly miscontrolled when he was in a great position.

I can't wait for the season to begin now because the signs are good. It's not going to be easy but we have some ridiculously talented players and if we click we could do some serious damage to sides. One top striker and i think we could well be right at the top.

Thanks for the write up mate. I didn't go today but loved reading this and can't wait for next week, I think what was on show today is more or less what will take to the field against Boro

I was at the game today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Echo the comments from slink. It was also great to meet up with Deutsch,Darlo,Kenny,Johnny75 and briefly, Quirk. Certainly intend to go down the Western next week,prematch and see a few others.

Kenny, Connor Coady is shite...that is all :headbang: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Conspiracy theory time.

Mason will be off
Our new potential striker watched the game today and was convinced to sign by the way we play
New potential striker to sign in the coming week and take Masons place

Vic, it was great to meet up with you and I'm glad you enjoyed your day... Got a feeling we could be good this season!

Kenny;1059218 [B said:
Blinded by the hate...[/B]

Captain Coady is the future.

Make it so ;-)

Last edited:
darlo(mike) you have a small d in the start of your username ;)

Oi! Harsh guys...I'll have you know I'm below 14 stone for the first time in about 5 years :icon_biggrin:
I am still a short-arse though

Regular games on loan would help with his decision making. You can't really teach that.
See I dont buy that, our players that go out dont come back better and these academy players have probably already played close to 20 games a season at youth level, if we are drastically changing our style it would be more beneficial to be in club than potentially off somewhere we cant guarantee quality coaching.

Oi! Harsh guys...I'll have you know I'm below 14 stone for the first time in about 5 years :icon_biggrin:

c-cups? just joking darlo

I was at the game today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Echo the comments from slink. It was also great to meet up with Deutsch,Darlo,Kenny,Johnny75 and briefly, Quirk. Certainly intend to go down the Western next week,prematch and see a few others.

You too Vic.

I think Slink had the review just about right. I'd add, the screens are great and I hope they keep up the replays as they're really good (and clear) to watch.

i know it was a friendly and Leicester weren't at full chat even though they had a full first team out but we looked very good and what a finish by Cav. Oh for a striker (or two) and I think we are going to be a nailed on top 6.

My leg is 14 stone! I am a steady 16.5 stone this year now I don't eat meat. Ten pounds lighter and it does feel better! But I am 6 ft 1

I don't get to see many live games these days, but managed to get an afternoon off and go to the Leicester match yesterday; what a breath of fresh air! I took my son-in-law along with me, who's a Leicester supporter, and he grudgingly admitted that Wolves had deserved the win and were the much better side on the day. He said he couldn't understand Leicester's attitutude to the match (almost treating it as a training field exercise) and not making any substitutions, apart from the enforced Slimani one. Having said that, he agreed that apart from the Vardy chance (which was a self-made error on Wolves behalf) they didn't really create anything else of any note, and that 2 - 0 or 3 - 0 wouldn't have unduly flattered Wolves.

It was great for me personally to see some lovely on-the-deck football from Wolves; patient, probing and if nothing was on as a forward pass, then it went sideways or backwards and try again. I thought everybody had a good game for Wolves, but the one thing I remember more than anything was the number of times big Willy Boly got his tackle in and stopped an attack. Sometimes you thought the player had got past him, then a big long leg would appear from nowhere and nick the ball away. Great stuff! It was brilliant to see a proper left back also - Douglas looks like a bargain; he does his defensive work where necessary yet always seems available down the left wing when we're attacking. And he can cross with his left foot!

If we could just find that elusive striker we're looking for - with all the crosses that are now whizzing across the opposition penalty area, if we had a fox-in-the-box type in there, anticipating these crosses, he could fill his boots!

And with that superb strike from Cav the icing on the cake, it proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. With a decent striker in there, I think things are looking good for the new season. Come on you Wolves!

I have seen us impress in pre-season games before which has led to over confidence ahead of the new season.
Yesterday though was way above anything from previous seasons.

Organised, players knowing what they are doing, smart off the ball movement, quick passing, possession. Not having that at Wolves....where was the aimless hoofbal and why weren't we launching the ball 3 ft over Ivan's head and expecting to win it and hold the ball.

Seeing a tweet from Johnny Phillips this morning, Sky have got some good access for the Working with Wolves documentary. In the changing at half time filming Nuno doing his talk.

I have seen us impress in pre-season games before which has led to over confidence ahead of the new season.
Yesterday though was way above anything from previous seasons.

Organised, players knowing what they are doing, smart off the ball movement, quick passing, possession. Not having that at Wolves....where was the aimless hoofbal and why weren't we launching the ball 3 ft over Ivan's head and expecting to win it and hold the ball.

Seeing a tweet from Johnny Phillips this morning, Sky have got some good access for the Working with Wolves documentary. In the changing at half time filming Nuno doing his talk.

Does anyone know when that documentary is going to be shown?

Back