• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

It's hard to compare given we're slightly unsure on how some of the new signings will settle in, but there's plenty of turgid filth in that Newcastle XI.

Sels, Hanley, Dummett, Colback and Anita are all bang average or worse.

A question for them what’s more knowledgeable than me. This time last year Newcastle were overwhelming favourites for the division. Assuming we sign a decent striker, how do people think our starting XI compares to the one Newcastle started with against Fulham last year? Sels: Janmaat – Hanley – Lascelles – Dummett: Ritchie - Colback – Hayden – Anita: Gayle - Perez

Having seen that line up I think if we sign a top striker I think we would be better depending of course how the new players gel. Having read some of the other championship forums no one seems to fancy us at all

Having seen that line up I think if we sign a top striker I think we would be better depending of course how the new players gel. Having read some of the other championship forums no one seems to fancy us at all

Its great isnt it! For once expectation is on our side. I can see us being a Watford like team of 3 seasons ago when they loaned in well from Udinese and got promoted and had 3 or 4 managers in a season too! Good. I think top 10 minimum top 6 possible , top 2 unlikely but not out of the question. From the pre season games it still looks a work in progress but it does appear to be an improving work of progress.With 3 points for a win as long as you are top half at Xmas you can make a run for the play offs.

I'd agree with that. Gayle is the difference between us and that squad right now.

the have often been rumours of Gayle but nothing materialised. I wonder if we will make a move now? Maybe not , but a striker signing is jimminent I would guess!

Its great isnt it! For once expectation is on our side. I can see us being a Watford like team of 3 seasons ago when they loaned in well from Udinese and got promoted and had 3 or 4 managers in a season too! Good. I think top 10 minimum top 6 possible , top 2 unlikely but not out of the question. From the pre season games it still looks a work in progress but it does appear to be an improving work of progress.With 3 points for a win as long as you are top half at Xmas you can make a run for the play offs.

Top 6 is minimum for me. I know money is no guarantee of success but we've not spent as much as we have to finish outside the play off places.

Having read some of the other championship forums no one seems to fancy us at all

Probably because they, like me, don't know the players we have brought in from abroad. Nuno is a new manager for us and also new in the Championship, so there is nothing currently for anyone to fancy us for.

Probably because they, like me, don't know the players we have brought in from abroad. Nuno is a new manager for us and also new in the Championship, so there is nothing currently for anyone to fancy us for.

Yeah I can see that to be fair but Sheffield Wednesday fans in particular reckon we are in for a big fall they may be right but I hope not with the signings we have made we have to at least be top six

Yeah I can see that to be fair but Sheffield Wednesday fans in particular reckon we are in for a big fall they may be right but I hope not with the signings we have made we have to at least be top six

We are a work in progress and it will take a while for us to gel. While I agree we should be top six, there is no guarantee just because we are paying a lot of money for players.

Its getting close to that time of year when we have a poll!............................................

Jordan Graham proper mugs off their left back at the end there. Fantastic stuff

Shame he smashed the cross straight out of play.

The two highlights featuring Bright show how frustrating he is.

First one he gets that little lay of as he runs inside, from Mason I think, but rather than try and play him back in down the outside of the defender he dwells on it and loses the opportunity. Then he does well to nick it off the defender put just keeps running with it instead of taking a shot so eventually gets closed out by the defence.

I don't think it's so much poor decision making as no decision making, he's just not sharp enough upstairs. He's got natural ability running with the ball and that seems to take precedence over everything else in his game, it's a bit Forrest Gump.

The two highlights featuring Bright show how frustrating he is.

First one he gets that little lay of as he runs inside, from Mason I think, but rather than try and play him back in down the outside of the defender he dwells on it and loses the opportunity. Then he does well to nick it off the defender put just keeps running with it instead of taking a shot so eventually gets closed out by the defence.

I don't think it's so much poor decision making as no decision making, he's just not sharp enough upstairs. He's got natural ability running with the ball and that seems to take precedence over everything else in his game, it's a bit Forrest Gump.

Yet in the U23 games I have seen him play his decision making is generally spot on. Seems to lose that when playing in the 1st team

I'd argue it's his composure more than anything. He's made, and created, some really excellent moves in some of the pre-season games - he's definitely intelligent enough to spot opportunities for starting moves, and to anticipate the clever movement of our most creative players, like Cavaleiro and Jota. The issue comes not even in the final third, but on the edge of and in the box, where he just falls apart in his decision making. I think it must be a combination of confidence and experience because he doesn't struggle with finishing under pressure for the U23s.

Poor man's Sterling at the minute.

Yet in the U23 games I have seen him play his decision making is generally spot on. Seems to lose that when playing in the 1st team

I think it's just a confidence issue. He'll score a particular goal and never look back.

Back