• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

Regarding the tough play...crazy, it is a friendly ..it really shouldnt be like this

Decided I am off to POSH on Tuesday. Got to see this lot first hand before the season starts. Looks like we can buy tickets online from posh for upper stand B. May see some of you there!

The ref was completely incompetent with regards to controlling the players. He let them get away with challenges that would have been bookings in a league game so they just carried on.

I know Nuno doesn't like to say much but either him or the players should have said something about it by now.

Its finding the middle ground isn't it. I guess ref's don't want to be dishing our red cards in friendly's, as they can count in league games if the FA want them to but you certainly don't them have a free for all in challenges. Would you say today was a day for the ref to call the 2 captains and managers together after the first couple of tasty challenges and issued a warning and if ignored dish out cards like a league game?

It is a difficult one. What I have done for many a year is to get the two teams mangers together in my changing room, and explained that I did not want to see players suspended for the start of the season, but I would not tolerate anything that would normally result in either a yellow or red card being shown. I would then repeat it to the captains at the toss.

Maybe I have just been fortunate, but I have only ever had to send off one player in a friendly, and that was for a punch that a heavyweight boxer would have been proud of.

Regarding todays game at Shrewsbury, then yes I would have made it clear that cards would be produced. But as I have not seen any highlights I am not in a position to comment on the severity of the tackles.

Red cards in friendlies are still league bans so still risky of Shrewsbury to be so aggressive regardless. I do think they are going to have a good season though, perhaps a surprise playoff contender.

Frank goes back to a good point though, and I'm glad to see sinbins are being trialled this year even if in the lower leagues. I've been calling for these for 15 years or so, and I'm not old either!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I respect your opinion with refereeing and all that Frank..it is called a "Friendly" for a reason I guess...

It used to be the case I friendlies that a bad challenge would lead to the manager being invited to make a substitute, that doesn't seem to happen now.

It does, and I did exactly that this afternoon in the game I refereed between Bardon Hill and Black Country Rangers.

Hull City just beat Benfica. Good side for championship level. We are still playing with Mendes left overs but still...

Decided I am off to POSH on Tuesday. Got to see this lot first hand before the season starts. Looks like we can buy tickets online from posh for upper stand B. May see some of you there!

It looks like you can pay on the day as well, although it is £2 dearer.

Hull City just beat Benfica. Good side for championship level. We are still playing with Mendes left overs but still...

Hull are a total mess. They've lost their first choice GK, CB, LB, and CM. They'll be lucky to finish in the top 10 this season.

Sorry, SLB, but Hull's team today was really poor. Only Grosicki and Henriksen would make it in most other Championship elevens, much less a good one.

I think the reaction to Shrewsbury's tackling is a little over the top. Yes, they were too physical for a friendly but there was nothing really outrageous. Granted the tackle on Neves was a little late, but he will get much, much worse every game during the season.

The bigger problem for me is the lack of a 'leader' within our team. When it became obvious that the referee (a local boy by the way) was going to allow Shrewsbury to leave a foot in, then we should have had or needed to have a player or two to either have a word with the ref [not in the way Saiss did] or have a word with the Shrewsbury players in an old fashioned way. I appreciate that modern day football doesn't have a role for the enforcer, but the likes of Boly, Coady and dare I say it Edwards are big and experienced enough to know what's happening and sort it out themselves if it's clear that the officials are not.

I'm not suggesting turning it into a free for all, but a reminder was required to stop Shrewsbury bullying us. For far too long, we've been too nice.

P.S. This is no excuse for the level of performance yesterday though. Friendly or not, make no mistake we were second best in all aspects of the game.

In fairness it will open their eyes as to what to expect in "English" blood snot and thunder for the season ahead.
Yes, but players wont go into challenges like that all the time in the league, too much to lose..in a friendly they can do what they want..thats not right

As an aside, I spoke to Dave Edwards after the game and suggested that the performance level might mean the cancelling of any day off today that they might have been due. His response was interesting and might offer a reason as to why we weren't 'at it' yesterday as he said " I hope not, we're running on empty".

As we know, pre-season is not only about peaking for the first game, but being able to sustain a season long level of fitness. For a guy that has based a career on work rate > ability, it would appear that things are tougher now than they have been previously. I don't necessarily think that a bad thing.

As an aside, I spoke to Dave Edwards after the game and suggested that the performance level might mean the cancelling of any day off today that they might have been due. His response was interesting and might offer a reason as to why we weren't 'at it' yesterday as he said " I hope not, we're running on empty".

As we know, pre-season is not only about peaking for the first game, but being able to sustain a season long level of fitness. For a guy that has based a career on work rate > ability, it would appear that things are tougher now than they have been previously. I don't necessarily think that a bad thing.

I think its a good thing, we might finish games off in the last 10 rather than sit back and lose points like last season..

I think tiredness is definitely an issue right now and that is why the performances have been getting slightly worse in each friendly. As long as the tough double sessions or sessions before a game end after Tuesday i think we will be fine and will benefit from this pre season and be much fitter than we have been recently.

Dave is just getting old... :icon_lol:

Back